Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44337 times)

purplearcanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Signups
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2010, 11:54:59 pm »

This sounds cool, especially since I have been unable to keep a fort for 8 years.  Sign me up!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2010, 01:11:51 am »

8 Years is a pretty demanding amount of time. DF2 was 8 years and it took up pretty much my entire video game playing time while it was running. I'd just be worried that we'll have a lot of drop outs and delays with 8 years again.

With respect to the winner of the last contest, this is the Master's Competition. It's supposed to be demanding.

This is the place to talk about things you want changed before the game begins, though. If Martin hears enough complaints about the in-game time limit, he may change it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2010, 05:07:51 pm »

8 Years is a pretty demanding amount of time. DF2 was 8 years and it took up pretty much my entire video game playing time while it was running. I'd just be worried that we'll have a lot of drop outs and delays with 8 years again.

With respect to the winner of the last contest, this is the Master's Competition. It's supposed to be demanding.

This is the place to talk about things you want changed before the game begins, though. If Martin hears enough complaints about the in-game time limit, he may change it.
Well the time doesn't really matter to me because I'm not participating as a player. Demanding is good but demanding a huge chunk of real life time can be pretty harsh. It's not JUST 8 years of DF as you might have in another fortress. It's 8 years of micromanagement, extensive planning, and so on. I only bring it up as a caution as I felt that the 8 year term was one of the reasons DFM2 had a high dropout, lots of delays, and an overall low participation.

From a mega construction standpoint 8 years is perfect though. It's just enough time to do some really inventive projects while also forcing people to work under a time constraint. So in that respect it's good. If the competitors want 8 years (or Martin for that matter) then let them have it. Just be sure to plan the contest duration appropriately.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2010, 11:57:22 am »

Sorry for the MIAness. Had a little life intervening thing there but I was watching Toady's logs daily to make sure he wasn't about to start without us, but it looks like he might be closing in here. I'm going to update the participant/judge lists today and get the rules up shortly.

Questions answered:

My only request is that any quantifiable criteria (fortress wealth, highed noble, etc.) are done once by someone rather than each judge having to calculate it.

That is my intent. My aim is to squeeze in more quantifiable criteria without turning it into an obsessive grind. I'm looking to award points based on most of something, next most, and so on so if you come in 3rd, you really aren't that badly off, even if the top guy has you beat by 200% or some huge margin. Hopefully with less subjective criteria, judging will be faster/easier. My other aim is to make that quantifiable criteria stuff that nobody is yet good at, so I might accidentally specify something that I can't actually measure - but we'll see that as soon as the version drops and we can adjust accordingly.

Seems like you're doing good on judges now.  How many are you angling for?
3-4 actually judging. That might mean more signing up as life intervenes for us all. You don't really need a huge number of judges.

I'm in as a player, even if I think that 8 game years is maybe a little bit too long for a challenge.

I considered that carefully. The current version typically hits a steady-state around year 4. That is, by that time, you're probably close to your popcap, you've probably exterminated all standing threats on the map and all migratory ones should be trivial to handle, and all that's left is sieges, megabeasts and disasters of your own making. Toady appears to be making a concerted effort to change that, with the possibility of opening up new threats in the underground, bigger/random megabeasts, and the whole military change-up, not to mention new nobles and such that might only start to come in play after 4 years. Getting a king the hard way can take a little while. As this is an exploration of the new version, I felt there needed to be enough time allocated to make sure that everything could be explored - including the stuff that is typically time-dependent. I'd hate to have a challenge and miss some of the challenging bits because we didn't run it out long enough. And as Jim Groovester says, this is supposed to be demanding.  I'm more inclined toward 4 year challenges overall, but I think this situation warrants the longer time frame simply to explore the new features. Plus, players should remember that they won't be able to just map out a plan in their head and simply implement it when we start - there's a ton of new stuff here that will need to be learned/discovered, and that'll take some game time. In the current version I know exactly how long it takes to get my wrestlers trained up, how long to do an aquifer pierce and so on. A lot of that stuff will have changed - perhaps substantially.

I should also note, that I'm trying to tilt this one away from favoring the megaproject and toward a more balanced gameplay, specifically because it's a new major version. If people want to steer clear of giant waterworks and magma projects, that shouldn't penalize them. We're after innovation this time, not scale. I want something added to the wiki (even if quite small) to outscore a massive magmafall thingamabob. There will be plenty of time for challenges before the next major version to ratchet up the megaprojects.

I would like to know, however, if lowering the population cap in the init would be allowable, to not kill my piece of crap laptop.

Yes, that will be allowed. It will, however, put you at a little bit of a disadvantage on some of the scoring depending on how low you set it. Probably not a massive disadvantage, but if it helps get the challenge completed, that's really what matters, right? The disadvantage will be if some game feature doesn't activate due to the pop limit, but in the current version that already allows you to dial the game back quite a bit. The time length should allow anyone to make a very fine showing in all categories even with a fairly small population. Besides, I'm hoping Toady has made it hard enough, between new critters, changes to military training, and other ways for us to send our dwarves to their doom, that the popcap becomes significantly harder to reach.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2010, 12:12:00 pm »

Welcome back, Martin.  Now for our new DF *grins*
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 01:08:39 am »

Still accepting signups?

If so I would like to join as a player.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 06:37:39 pm »

Sign me up please! I'm no expert DF player but oh well, this will wreak of fun!

couple questions though...

are there any embark requirements?
are there any rules considering the init file? (like turning economy off)
or if there's a FAQ somewhere you could point me to please do.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:41:15 pm by darkrider2 »

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2010, 06:44:28 pm »

Sign me in as a player, martin!

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 10:44:45 pm »

I'd sign up for this, but I hear that someone's doing a tower-based contest...

So, posting for thread updates.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2010, 07:44:50 am »

I'd sign up for this, but I hear that someone's doing a tower-based contest...

That's me, but I'm planning on not starting it up until after this one is over (or at least into the judging phases) so as not to interfere with this. No harm in signing up then :P I'll be 'competing' in this as well anyways.

tbino

• Bay Watcher
  • For when praying to armok isn't enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2010, 12:50:29 pm »

I will play!

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2010, 05:04:06 pm »

I will join (as a player)! I probably won't make anything that is too massive, but I will sure try. That is if you are still accepting people in. :)
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2010, 06:12:14 pm »

I think know this will be fun! SIGN ME UP ALL PLAYER LIKE please.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2010, 06:19:55 pm »

Gee, bet the judging of this is going to be fun fun fun!  I can foresee it now...

The players grumble and strain with the effort of keeping their game going for 8 game years, never realizing that...

There will be enough finishing participants that savoring each fort, studying and judging it, then writing upon its merits... will take considerably longer than it did to play out the years  ;)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2010, 07:48:57 pm »

Oh god the judges are gunna have the best time of their lives.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43