Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44388 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin Again! Map 2 Now Posted!
« Reply #435 on: May 16, 2010, 11:53:42 pm »

Lucky me that 31.04 came out just as soon as school was over. I might actually have a chance to finish this.

Will this have the same set of rules and projects to be completed as before?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 16, 2010, 11:55:35 pm »

Yes, no other changes to the rules or projects.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 17, 2010, 02:11:44 am »

How about the deadline?
Just curious, I think I wont get even near it with eight years of in-game time and speedy game like the .04 is...
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 17, 2010, 08:50:05 am »

w00t! Too bad I've got a boatload of prior stuff happening today or I'd jump right in. Tomorrow then. Can't wait to break in a completely new fort on my new rig.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 17, 2010, 09:45:13 am »

Do I see right, is it small-scaled waterfall over there?!  :D

The map looks nice, though hard to read as I've not got used to ASCII version as I have been using graphic backs earlier. Oh well, I think this could be good time to learn the native version...

Oh crap, or should I say... OH CARP!!!
Yep, the river seems to be full of carps... FUN!!! :D

EDIT:
Okay, a question regarding the rule of enemies being able to path in the fortress: Is it against the rule to use drowning chambers, which will only be used to kill enemies who can get trapped there. Basically, the room is cut out from the rest of the fortress for the duration of filling it (enough time to kill anything inside) with two bridges. When the the drowning chamber is sealed the secondary entrance will be open, and thus anything outside should be able to path inside the fortress.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:22:17 am by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 17, 2010, 10:38:38 am »

I would be on the safe side and just use a water cannon to push enemies off a cliff.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 17, 2010, 10:41:39 am »

Drowning chambers are fine so long as there's no extended path blocking to the fortress. Your design sounds fine.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 17, 2010, 12:36:46 pm »

Good to know. The embark location did gave me a lots of ideas how to build the entrance of the fortress, including the drowning chamber as a defense.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 17, 2010, 12:45:26 pm »

Carp tarp?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 17, 2010, 01:00:40 pm »

Well, actually didn't think it that way, but it would be awesome!
Sadly, basing on what I read from other threads, the carps are not so dangerous anymore. And my flooding chamber would rely on pumps to get the water, so no carp transporting...  :(

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 17, 2010, 01:39:58 pm »

The carp aren't so bad any more, but that doesn't mean some of the other things living down there aren't. One of my early attempts at this map was going to have an entrance down at water level and while I wasn't looking 5 of the starting 7 were dragged down to their death.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 17, 2010, 01:51:01 pm »

Okay, small update, as I have already begun the contest fort.

So, I'm slowly getting used to ASCII. That's the biggest problem right now, as I have always played with graphic packs (first Mayday, then Phoebus). Luckily I've had lots of experience with ASCII RPGs (A.D.O.M. especially), so the learning curve ain't that big.

Now, is the embark profile the very same as in the previous version? Most of it looks like, though I don't remember having four(?!) dogs there.

Entrance carved, partially formed to support the incoming flooding chamber (that's when I have my industry running). Only 1/4 of the world is accessible to my fortress due the rivers, though that's fine by rules as I never cut the pathing out.

First stones I hit when digging down was Bituminous coal! YAY!

Not much else going on, moved all the food inside, my only miner is trying to get the industrial sections ready so that I can begun producing floodgates and other things necessary to muddy the farming section.

Oh, and it just turned to summer, first year.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 17, 2010, 05:09:22 pm »

Yeah, the profile is altered a bit as there were some items in the last one that weren't terribly useful. People will still hate it, but if there's anything that's clear from reading the forums the last few years it's that there is nothing resembling consensus on embark profiles.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 17, 2010, 10:29:03 pm »

Sign me up as a player, please. I'm using the second embark, it's fairly peaceful so far, nice mix of resources. Only complaint is that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 17, 2010, 10:30:19 pm »

The shrubs CAN'T all be longland grass... There are so many with [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]...

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43