Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44426 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin!
« Reply #315 on: April 10, 2010, 03:35:21 pm »

Well, remember that my rationale for hitting an evil area was to see how to build an effective military since it's a goal and all. Bashing on gobbos is different than bashing on undead, which is actually quite cool (not that loosening some gobbo necks aren't effective) but you really do need to give thought to your military. No more chucking wresters at everything and letting them just plow through.

I either know how to, or think I know how to deal with everything but that zombie GCS. Might just need to cage the bastard if he comes back which is fine - GCS silk farms are fun, even if GCS silk doesn't have remotely the value that it used to have (somewhat thankfully - all that narrow GCS stuff was absurd before). I just leave the zombie horses alone now - they're good at uncovering ambushes and keeping the gobbos tied up until I'm ready to deal with them.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 10, 2010, 03:42:51 pm »

Well, i think i'm going to drop out.

To much of a hassle trying to sort out this cluster fuck.

(There are ten guys who refuse to stop wrestling the chipmunks, even though there dehydrated and starving.)
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2010, 04:53:11 pm »

The Zombie Flying Heads finally died. I hope I don't run into them again. It seriously took nearly six months of game time for them to bite it with war dogs beating them the hell up and me alternating a Legendary Axedwarf Squad and a newbie Hammerdwarf Squad. It took me outfitting four of my axedwarfs with Adamantium Battle Axes to do the deed and even then I wasn't sure.

Did some raw digging and found that they had a body type which limits everything into the head. All the humanoid body types died quickly, these did not. I can't imagine that's intentional given that they're roughly 1/4th the size of dwarfs. I took away the Arena Restricted tag, popped it into the Arena with a newbie hammerdwarf wielding an Adamantium hammer and he beat on it for a good ten minutes without any significant progress. Seems like the body type is bugged, making it near invulnerable. I'm not entirely sure how I ended up killing them because I walked away to use the restroom and when I came back all my dogs and dwarves were standing around peacefully with corpses of the flying heads on the ground. I forgot to check the log before I deleted it (was over 12MB in size).
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 10, 2010, 06:18:37 pm »

The Zombie Flying Heads finally died. I hope I don't run into them again. It seriously took nearly six months of game time for them to bite it with war dogs beating them the hell up and me alternating a Legendary Axedwarf Squad and a newbie Hammerdwarf Squad. It took me outfitting four of my axedwarfs with Adamantium Battle Axes to do the deed and even then I wasn't sure.

Question - did your combatants take damage and gain experience? Because if no-and-yes, that'd be a not-too-shabby way of gaining experience very, very fast, if you were willing to take the risk of severe dehydration and starvation.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 10, 2010, 06:24:48 pm »

They don't really gain experience once they've beaten it near death, so no, not a great approach.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 10, 2010, 06:30:31 pm »

Ah, shame. I'd hoped it would be something like how a wrestler used to be able to throttle a skeletal enemy forever and gain constant experience from it.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 10, 2010, 06:44:31 pm »

I got fifteen guys to legendary wrestling in less than a season, just wrestling groundhogs.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 10, 2010, 09:10:02 pm »

Bleargh... in a stunning change of pace my computer at home crashes upon unpausing at load in. I did not have this problem with the computer I use at work. I hope this wasn't caused by my killing of the flying heads. It was a strange enough occurrence that I have to wonder since I saved almost as soon as I saw what had happened (I did not want to go back to a save that had those bastards still alive). Then again, my home computer has issues (I have to run DF off my secondary hard drive, the primary HD takes almost ten minutes to save a game). *sigh*

Edit: Found the problem. For some reason the transfer from my memory stick over to the HD didn't take completely. I recopied everything and now it works fine. Whew!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:22:47 pm by Moontayle »
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 11, 2010, 12:25:03 am »

My main woodcutter has never been in battle, but is covered in two pages of blood spatter. After the second ambush, my militia commander decided to strip completely naked except for a bronze pick that she waves around, and refuses to do any work. I think the pressure is getting to them.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 11, 2010, 12:25:39 am »

Moon, which floor is your second cavern. Mine are 14-20 for the first then, 24-29 for the second...

The thing I don't get is how you found magma between those. Unless you missed the 24-29 and thinking that the one below it is the second...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 11, 2010, 07:38:59 am »

I'm approaching the end of the third year. I've got the first goblin ambush: they were detected by the Zombie Horses, which were quickly killed by the goblins. At the exact same time (I hate this spawn system) the dwarf merchants came. And of course the ambushers and the merchants met at the entry of my fort. Conclusion: I lost one unlucky dwarf (the first one to died on this map), the ambushers were killed by the merchants guards, but the merchants decided to leave the map. :(

Oh, and I've trapped some zombie troglodytes. They are annoying as hell as they produce miasma all the time, even in cages! Now I must find a use for my future "MPS" (Miasma Producing System). :)

And if you want more fun you can join the other challenge and try to do it on the DFM3 map (like me).
SUSPENDED LAVA THRONE ROOM CHALLENGE
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 11, 2010, 07:57:20 am »

Moon, which floor is your second cavern. Mine are 14-20 for the first then, 24-29 for the second...

The thing I don't get is how you found magma between those. Unless you missed the 24-29 and thinking that the one below it is the second...

The way it works (by default): Three cavern layers, then magma. 124-129 is our first cavern, 114-120 is the second (which I haven't hit apparently), and there's another around 106. The magma's a bit further. I don't believe you can find magma higher up, since the new 'magma pools' are actually an extension up from the magma seas. I could always be wrong though.

PS - anyone uncorked the champagne yet? I'm tempted to, but with the 'cannot seal off this area' rules it'd just explode all over my fort.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 11, 2010, 08:34:53 am »

I didn't say I found the magma between the two, merely that I found the second cavern *after* I found the magma (and if Retro is right, this is the third cavern actually). I had a one-tile staircase going down but when I expanded it to my standard 3x3 I popped the wall of my second cavern on the way up.

Had a zombie gremlin come by for a chat. Its head flew in a nice arc at the end of the conversation with an adamantium battle axe.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #328 on: April 11, 2010, 10:02:59 am »

PS - anyone uncorked the champagne yet? I'm tempted to, but with the 'cannot seal off this area' rules it'd just explode all over my fort.
I think we're all waiting for the bugfix that will make them actually killable ;).

Had a zombie gremlin come by for a chat. Its head flew in a nice arc at the end of the conversation with an adamantium battle axe.
At least it's easy to know when things are coming because they spew clouds of miasma everywhere they go :P.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 11, 2010, 10:22:56 am »

I think we're all waiting for the bugfix that will make them actually killable ;).

Killable by military means, perhaps. This makes me want to be the first to conquer the bottle and claim the underworld to myself. I wonder what the quality modifier is on slade? With some engraving work I could have a fantastic fortress living area down there.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43