Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44420 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin!
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2010, 12:27:54 am »

Some people seem a bit nervous about completing all the various parts of the challenge within the time limits.  I'd like to mention to everyone that I don't see anything in the rules that says that everyone must do every part of the challenge with beauty and skill in order to have a fort worthy of submitting at the end.

Play your best, have fun, and explore.  Trailblaze, knowing that your unique playstyle may uncover new oddities or (possibly partial) solutions to vexing problems.  Think someone else's military puts yours to shame?  Who cares, chances are one of the other parts of the challenge you may well outdo them on, and all the parts are weighted about equally.

Think that you've run into a challenge and you can't find a way to beat it?  So find a way to play with it, or a way to lick your wounds from it and survive.  You get points for exploratory playing (it's under goal 5), so figure out what you figure out and show it off.

Don't let this challenge intimidate you.  We're all in about the same boat, and it takes courage and persistence to trailblaze.  I admire and salute you all, and look forward to the chance to help admire and score as many entries as possible when the time comes that we are examining them.  I don't expect to see a single 'perfect fortress' at the end of this, I don't believe anyone's going to get max points in all areas (if you can build such a fortress, I promise to admire it and score it fairly, I just don't believe in it yet ;)).  Your efforts and play are worth entering in this contest.  That's what it's all about.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2010, 06:09:56 am »

I'll admit to being a perfectionist when it comes to fort building. Frankly I'd say I'm one of the camp Toady mentions that just wants to dig in the dirt. That said,  I still intend to give this challenge a good try. If there's a fix for the bugs we're dealing with it'll make it easier, but if that doesn't happen in the timeframe given I still intend to submit my fort, even if it's not my best work.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2010, 09:29:32 am »

I must confess, before starting the contest fort I was perfectionist as well. Now, I just have dropped the perfectionist side to sea of magma and play by the situation. For example, before I wouldn't have even thought about building "setup fortress" and then building new one bellow that and then removing most of the workshops from the old one. Now, I just did that...

Oh, and I'm still in, just not playing the contest fort at the moment as I'm waiting for some crucial bugs to be fixed. Like pathfinding problem. It get tedious to save and reload every ten minutes because several dwarves got stuck after I built one single door...  ::)
I wouldn't mind that if I weren't just starting out my monument for Toady and DF2010. So far my plans contain lots of building and the pathfinding is hindering my project.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2010, 09:38:02 am »

I'm just hoping that we didn't end up with a map like the new Sparkgear with magma 160z-levels down. I haven't seriously dug down very much but that's going to change once I get my axedwarf squad outfitted in their new copper armor.

Currently setting up new offices and the initial dig out of the Mayor's quarters. Also going through the irrigation plans for my new underground farming area. I have a feeling that it's going to take most of Year 3 for the water to disappear once I get it done.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2010, 10:21:05 am »

Pathing issue workaround: lock a door in your fort then unlock it. Resets pathing, so I've read. Yet to try but seems logical.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 08, 2010, 10:21:46 am »

YAY!!!!

New version released!

Though no fix for pathfinding nor rotting problem yet...  :'(
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55:52 am »

argh the new version breaks some aspects of some saves, what do you say we do?  Stay on the old fort on the old save, or try to move over and work around the broken fixes?
Nom nom nom

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 08, 2010, 11:09:19 am »

Is it the core game or the raws that cause the problems? Because if it's the core game then we're pretty much screwed. If it's the raws that cause the problem then I think we'll be ok since each save has a copy of the raws used to generate the world.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 08, 2010, 11:11:54 am »

it's the raws, you can't switch over to the new raws to be able to use said fixs, so we would still be playing with the broken one on the new version.  So ya, it's the raws, which means we don't get any fixs.
Nom nom nom

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 08, 2010, 12:40:24 pm »

Guys, look at the first post of the thread, Martin said "Again, because this is a new version, there may be frequent bug releases and competitors will be allowed to move to newer releases. (I'll provide guidance on this as we go along.)". So you should still be able to copy the bugfixed vanilla version onto the file that Martin provided.

For those using graphics, it shouldn't interfere with the graphics stuff.

However, while alot of the fixes for 31.02 are in the raws, there may have been some core fixes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:42:22 pm by smjjames »

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 08, 2010, 01:01:56 pm »

it's the raws, you can't switch over to the new raws to be able to use said fixs, so we would still be playing with the broken one on the new version.  So ya, it's the raws, which means we don't get any fixs.

Except crashes are core related problems so we are getting his major fixes.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2010, 01:05:10 pm »

I like the direction my fort's going. Going to stick with 31.01 and see what happens :D

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2010, 02:51:40 pm »

Ok, sorry about being a bit absent. I've updated the player/judge lists based on what people have posted.

There was a question about tapping into a cavern and simply not building stairs down to it - yeah, that's cool. It's a natural boundary. If you do build stairs, you can't hatch/lock it, though. Once you commit, you commit.

And like Imp says, I would be shocked if someone managed to do everything. This is a unique challenge because we have all of these other issues to work out. Work it out the best you can, go bombing through the caverns, and enjoy yourself. By the time we get to DFM4 most of the bugs will be ironed out and we'll go in a new direction.

Certainly if you crash you can roll back to the start. I've had to do that once when it would hard crash as soon as I opened the military screen and tried to do anything.

Contestants are free to go to the 31.02 version if they want, and if it's not save compatible feel free to restart. I would probably suggest waiting, though, in that case. It doesn't seem to fix the combat problems (weapon behavior seems to be messed up in the raws) nor does it appear to fix the pathing bugs (which I agree are seriously problematic), so if restarting is required, it might be worth waiting for .03 or .04. If you really want graphics, it looks like that might be working better, but without the benefit of the .png goodness from the merge yet.

On another note, it looks like the Mac/linux version is going to be later so we'll definitely be extending the deadline.

All that said, my fortress is now in its 3rd year. Farming is fully up to speed, lots of booze, lots of prepared meals. No deaths yet, though one guy got his ass kicked pretty bad. I only now have figured out how the military screens work. My problem is that it's not obvious to me what the screen should look like when I've got weapons assigned and whatnot, and I was always removing weapons when I thought I was adding them. I finally paid much closer attention to what the keypresses were labeled at and figured it out. It's really all very cool once it clicks, but the learning curve is fairly steep. That said, I'm still having trouble getting the soldiers to equip. I'm positive they have weapons assigned, the weapons are created, and I have an arsenal dwarf with NO JOB, and with an office that he's used before, but somehow the weapons just aren't ending up in the soldiers hands.

I'm a bit anxious because there are two ambush squads permawrestling with some zombie horses that eventually might decide to pay attention to the fort. I've got no doors or drawbridges, so if they show up, I'm in a world of hurt until axes get in dwarf hands. Maybe I should have installed some traps...

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2010, 03:14:36 pm »

I just had an issue with a goblin snatcher who was exposed and then tripped a stonefall trap which knocked him unconscious. I sent my squad in after him for the kill and all of my dwarves beat on him with their training axes even though each one has a bronze battle axe equipped. I think I might need to remove the training axe as part of their uniform. They aren't sparring so I don't see the use of it to begin with. So I feel your pain Martin. The goblin got away because my dwarves did hardly any damage to it.

Just got a huge wave of new migrants so I need to step back and figure out my next move. I did managed to irrigate my new farming area so now it's just a matter of waiting until the water evaporates.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2010, 03:30:23 pm »

Martin, I think you have me confused with Urist McInternetuser. Not that that's hard to do, but...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43