Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44393 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin!
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2010, 02:55:50 am »

After a few restarts to get my Starting Build right, I begin my decent with my Ramp Spiral Mark 12 (Patterns and Ramp Pathfinding Mistakes of my own causeing the restarts). I stumble across my first ever Feature, its a large expansive Cavern, critters are rotting down there and large Underground Lakes extend out further then I can see. It drops another 4 Zs before it reaches the ground, so unless something has flying or them critters can climb walls, I think I am safe...

But I have noted that I might have found a bug, Ramping into the Roof does not actually open a Hole in it, the Cavern remains sealed despite being revealed... Odd...

I also discover some Giant Critters down there, well their tellsign anyway, seems that there are 2, perhaps 3...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2010, 04:01:00 am »

Until there are more bug fixes I'm putting this on the back burner for now. With the DF Accelerator I still only get 20 fps.

I keep getting the bug where my dorfs stop doing jobs even though they have the labors and tools for it. Saving and loading seems to fix it for a little while but it takes 8 minutes to cycle.

This map isn't short of Fun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2010, 04:12:28 am »

Brisk, go into the INIT file and change the GFPS to 5 or something, from twenty.

What it does is it regulates how often the screen refresh's per second (Graphical Frames Per Second?) and it got me from 20's to a fluctuation 75-95.

(It also goes to 10 every so often, and it freezes a lot more -Comparably, once every so often but still more than the previous never- but its much better over all.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:15:33 am by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2010, 04:16:29 am »

Hmm. I'm at 25th Slate, 1051. I seem to be doing well so far. I guess I got lucky that the zombie horses spawned on the other side of the river.

Does that mean I'm a Dwarf Fortress Master!? (Yes.)

After I finish the first year I think I'll post a big summary of what I did and stuff. I'll keep it spoilered, so that if you don't want to know what I know you won't have to.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2010, 04:58:57 am »

Also, setting 'Partial Print' to YES to in my init.txt file moved my FPS from 15-30 to steady 100.

Sadly, for me trying that gave me the most amazing and intense fast screen flicker... screen/bright blue/screen/bright blue/screen/bright....

I had to go back.  I could tell it helped my fps though, that screen/bright blue flickering was way up there  >:(
You can try the solution proposed by Baughn in this topic.

In another hand I must say that plaster and soap seem to be broken, so a 'medical team' goal may be a little inappropriate for the current buggy version. Why not wait a little more for a more 'complete' version?

Thank you, Thank you, I've now got awesome smooth and fast DF because of your suggestion!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2010, 05:23:21 am »

I think I know what happened to the Elves of the area...

They all Fled like the wind to the a place that fits them quite well...
The Disgusting Hill in 106 during the conquest of Petalankle, so that means that even if Elves were around still, we would have been at war with them seeing as our motherciv was as well. Kinda don't like the fact that the Immigrants come with actual skills, there is little use of turning them into what I need when they have KICK ASS (High Master Level) skills in different things. Like Bone carving and shit like that...

ALSO:

I have noted that Training with weapons works by oneself. They remain unactive and visit a Barracks, stand in a corner and practice ones forms. Thats all good and stuff...

But I want you to work with the others, I scream at the Game...

Browsing through the forums I notice someone saying they threw down a second Weapon/Armour Rack, and low and behold they Activate. So I do so myself. And wow it does work. But now there is one who is better at Dodging trying to start up a Class and the others are already there waiting, but nothing has happened...

Gonna wait and see what happens next...

UPDATE2:

LOL as soon as I finish typing the last bit and unpause, they lesson starts, I notice that one that didn't have Dodging before now has the skill so I guess that it works to some degree, but the Month changed and the SpearDwarf (Training in Axe for them Undead Foes) decided to stop class, change to Civ, drop Training Axe, Activate to Military, duck off to the Weapons stockpile and collect a NEW Training Axe and return to the Training Room to start the Class all over again...

Odd. None the less it seems to work...

Final Note:
Its kinda scary when ever I bring up my unit list. I have a Legend Herb (he came as a High Master when he got here) above a Mechanic, The flashing of his Legend stat over a Red Name kinda looks like I have a Burning Dwarf on my list... Sigh gets me every time...

Final Final Update:
It seems that they will train untill they are on the verge of Dieing. But it looks like they will go feed/drink themselves at some point.
They drop into Civs, dash to the Foodhall and gourge themselves, head back to the Barraks, then remember that they dropped all their gear back at the Foodhall, head back then finally get back to training. Best bet is to get them Backpacks and Waterskins to get them to eat and drink while activated else they will get unhappy thoughts. Not really enjoying this Training method, cause it takes forever for the session to start, sometime being ignored cause someone ELSE starts up a session then that takes time to start and so on...
I noticed that sometimes they will stop waiting for sessions and just do a bit of Form Practice which is nice, but they will just stand around waiting otherwise. Need to look into it more...

Really need to stop Lieing, Another NOTE:

Organizing a Class requires the use of the Organizer Skill. Seems that a Dabbling Organizer takes half or more then half a month to start a class. Teachers really DO need to be prepared...

I don't know what I did, but I moved 2 out of the 7 Training AxeDwarves into another Squad. They are now practicing their forms. Gonna move the Commander into a squad of his own with one other to see if Organizing a Class takes less time. AND that they even start one with 2...

Report: Success, to a point. I have no idea if it will go faster but will examine later. I made my seasonal save for my first winter and without noticing what was going on, I watched a Kobold Theif get discovered. I was thinking about going to bed around that time, but I wanted to see what was going to happen. Reverting back to Wintersave later cause that technically is where I am stopping for the night...

EDIT FOR THE LAST TIME:

OMFG LOL!!!! The Kobold Thief is carrying a Large Silver Dagger, and dispite the 7 Dwarves (With training Axes sadly, gonna work on getting them some copper soonish,) attacking it, the damn thing succeeds in BEHEADING!!! A Dwarf. IN ONE MOVE... The combat log is Funny as hell too cause it reads that the dwarf loses grip on weapon, dwarf loses grip on Helm. Well I like that, he drops his weapon as he falls to the floor while his head arcs away with the Helm floating of in slow motion. Good one... HAHAHAH anyway its past Midnight and I will be coming back with more info on Training and stuff tomorrow, untill then, Happy Easter/Chocolate Egg eating Day...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:54:13 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2010, 10:52:23 am »

I'm afraid 8 years is just too long for me. I'll probably play with the map for a few years anyway and give my results, but you can count me out of the competition.

Good luck to everyone else :) Looking forward to seeing your outcomes.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2010, 11:29:40 am »

Lol, this is probably my earliest artifact yet. On the 19th of Timber, 2051; The dwarf Olin Akgosoltar created the first artifact of the fort: Stizazshaval Rinulrasuk, a chestnut flute. Weighing 2 stones and valued at 3200 Dwarfbucks, it is engraved with the image of the leader of the expedition group. It relates to him being appointed as leader.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2010, 11:54:18 am »

Lolor's log, Malachite 17

I expected a small cave with a murky pool in it. I did not expect this.

Seventeen stories below ground level, I broke through the ceiling of a vast cavern, filled with mud and fungus. I think I saw some water far to the southeast. I don't like the look of those webs, but we need the space for farming, so I'm having Zefon guard the entrance to the cavern. She's better at axe-wielding now than she is at shooting (which is fortunate, as a racoon stole our crossbow).

Malachite 24
I must have misphrased that badger message, because a handful of migrants arrived. One of them told me that this place is to be a new outpost of the Lost Hatchets. So be it. I drafted a handful of them so Zefon didn't have to be on guard duty all the time.

EDIT: Just crashed. Now I'm back at late spring I think. dammit
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:13:04 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2010, 02:02:50 pm »

I'm playing along as well. Got through the first year with no problems, but I haven't plunged into anything interesting (I've got all the time in the world seeing as I'm not being judged :P). Got two waves of immigrants including one high master metalsmith. That'll be handy. Food is a serious challenge since I've got no underground farms and ramping up the surface stuff took a while.

I've noticed the jobs are twitchy as well. Create a carpenter shop and tell it to make barrels and with 100 logs sitting not 2 tiles away the job cancels with 'Need logs' message. Wait a few days game time and try again and it works. Once it gets going it seems fine, but something in the jobs system changed so that both workshops and dwarves can be slow to figure out that everything is available. Same problem with some of the stockpiles - I couldn't get a 'stone block only' pile working for the longest time, but eventually it did.

I was worried that the traders were broken but the dwarves finally showed up right at the end of Autumn. I guess the calendar is more variable now. No wagons and no anvil - that's new. Glad I gave y'all one at embark. Prices/weights are more interesting than before - trading approaches will need to change.

I'm going to look at the soap and plaster bugs soon. The soap one is documented and a fix is proposed, but I'm not sure it'll work for us. Nobody else has reported the plaster bug AFAIK, so maybe that's just the job system being twitchy? Anyway, I haven't had any crashes during gameplay. I had a pile of them during worldgen and using the site finder, though.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2010, 03:35:57 pm »

I was worried about the traders there as well but mine arrived in late autumn so that might be when they come now. They're still around and it just turned winter. Hit the first underground cavern and it's fairly extensive. Gonna take my time exploring since I'm having some issues getting my dwarfs to train. Like, I have one guy training but it's a squad of two and the other one is just standing around in his civie designation not doing anything. Might be a bug with adding additional units to a squad after it has already been formed but I'm giving it some time since this month is set to no orders as opposed to training.

Only problem I'm running into is finding worthwhile metals. I found some I can use but unless something changes from my exploratory mining I don't think Steel is an option here unless you import.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2010, 04:29:49 pm »

Another pretty big bug:

It doesn't look like you can cook meals made only of liquids. In that case it appears to leave the liquids in the kitchen and no prepared meal is created. No wonder I'm having trouble with food.
Bug tracker entry

And Zefod just went berzerk from starvation and killed everyone. Even the host needs to rollback now and then.  :D

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2010, 04:35:14 pm »

generally iron is deep, marble and flux is deeper.... gonna be a hell-of a challendge to get steel.
Nom nom nom

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2010, 04:57:03 pm »

one of the first messages after embark i got was "Zombie giant rat has stolen a cave crocodile heart!"  I just ignored that one.....
Nom nom nom

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2010, 05:19:16 pm »

My 2nd message when I embarked was like yours :
"A Zombie Giant Rat has stolen ({preserved prepared cave crocodile heart #4 })"
There may be a place on the map with these sorts of object, maybe in the underground...

The bugs are boring: I already encountered the liquid cooking one and the lazy dwarves (like the masons starings at and staying near the wall I ordered them to build some times ago).
Edit:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 05:27:12 pm by Meta »
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43