Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion  (Read 33396 times)

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 04:31:57 pm »

These:
I have two.

Multi-Racial fortresses: Dwarves, Elves, Goblins, Humans, etc are not the same creature. What are your plans for how to reflect that fact in a multi-racial fortress? What are the current roadblocks stopping us from having multi-racial forts in Fortress Mode?

The Consequences of Immortality: Elves and Goblins are Immortal. How are you going to handle these long-lived races as far as skills, professions, and such? Will an elf with a thousand years of practice as an archer be essentially perfect? Will they be able to get better at archery then even the best humans or dwarves?

Also the sciences behind DF such as geology, biology, astrophysics(?).
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 06:19:45 pm »

I'm interested in the future of artifacts and magic, but as others have said, those are quite a ways off dev-wise. They've only been discussed somewhat vaguely (they should *feel* magic), but I think it's too far off to devote a whole podcast to more specifics.

Also, I'd love to hear about economics, trade, and other inter-cultural interactions. I'm just going to leave it at that for now, because if I go on, I'm going to start spouting off a list of questions.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 06:33:34 pm »

-snip- (they should *feel* magic) -snip-

I just got a mental image of a toad feeling up a wizard. Thankyou very much.

dnabios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 08:58:12 pm »

Why not The Future of Mechanics?

Some example topics would be:
What do you envision it being able to do and not do in the future.  Is it finished as is?
If not, what else would you like to see it do?  Where do you feel the ceiling lies?
Do you feel the classic dwarves making rock/stone/steel golems is more of a magical or mechanical feature?
Do you like the idea of a magic vs. science universe, or one where the two coexist better?

If not, how about Interracial Children?  This could be rolled into the Multi-Racial Fortress topic as well.

Would you allow it?  Do you think it's more trouble than it's worth?
What would you envision half-elven/half-dwarven children to be?  Abominations that must be killed with fire or mere oddities not worthy of note?  Would you see them as being common (since elves live so long) or rare (since the two cultures are rarely compatible)?
How about half-goblin/half-dwarf?  With all the child snatching/goblin raiding going on do you see these as common?  Would they be reviled by both civs or admired for combining dwarven ingenuity with goblin ruthlessness?
There are excellent opportunities for interesting stories to be found in those combination, among others.
Using the current like/dislike system, would simulated discrimination/acceptance be worth the effort it took to include it?

It would be cool to read "was disgusted to see a half-goblin eating in the same dining room lately."  or "was overjoyed to be accepted by one of his parental civilizations!"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 09:16:09 pm »

Why not The Future of Mechanics?

What do you envision it being able to do and not do in the future.  Is it finished as is?
If not, what else would you like to see it do?  Where do you feel the ceiling lies?

There are dev items that concern expanding the mechanical system:

# Bloat350, MORE MECHANISMS, (Future): Animal power for turning wheels etc., other pumps like tympanum wheels, various other things.

"Improved Mechanics" is also #5 on Eternal Suggestion Voting, which means it'll probably get some attention in the near future.

If not, how about Interracial Children?  This could be rolled into the Multi-Racial Fortress topic as well.

Would you allow it?  Do you think it's more trouble than it's worth?
What would you envision half-elven/half-dwarven children to be?

Toady's brother ThreeToe wrote a story exploring this topic.  Especially salient is the story analysis:

Race/interspecies relations come up in the story. There can be racial barriers to entity entry and segregation in certain locations, even to the point where there are purges and so on. Where there are physical or mental differences, torment and cruel treatment can be based on these. Whether or not creatures of different species can interbreed is completely open to question in the game -- as long as they have the same basic body type, it can do averaging or selection of stats. It can also do some randomization, such as a hybrid having a larger size than either of the parent species (this occurs in nature). It's also possible for a hybrid creature (or even a non-hybrid creature of a different species) to attempt to pass itself off as something it is not. This would have to be determined by skills, disguises, appearance variables and the overall similarity of the physical and behavioral variables of the creatures in question.

Hopefully this information will help you refine your questions.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 09:38:09 pm »

Yeah I absolutely hate having to scour the questions we receive for questions that have not already been answered.   

Treading new ground is fun!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 12:25:20 am »

Just Chancing but how about this:

When is the next version coming out?

Footkerchief post

Yeesh, bite my head off why don't ya.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 03:55:21 am »

Actually he pointed out that the question was already answered as much as it would be by Toady.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 04:59:37 am »

I am really interested in the possibility of the creation, storage and use of books in fortress mode

jobs: scribes, binders, librarians, parchment makers ?
zones: libraries?
objects: book, scrolls, quills, ink, parchment, bookshelves, reading desks?
uses: personal dwarf diaries, magic research/spells, special building/weapon construction blueprints/research?
artifacts: famous/useful books as world artifacts?

edit: mischievous book stealing gremlins? book munching 'book worms'? living books a.k.a. discworld?
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 01:52:01 pm »

Multiracial forts
and
Site variety(outposts, villages, cities, monasteries, smugglers dens, etc.)
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather be with trees.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 10:32:53 pm »

Elves and Dwarves dont mix...

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 12:48:49 am »

I totally appreciate where you are coming from: Footkerchief, and captntastic. The thing is a lot of people (including me) have not read each forum topic and have not been here since the begining. And I know that it gets annoying after a while that people ask the same questions all the time. That does means that people are interested in them, and yes its not good when you are looking for new material, but people are just trying to help a game that they love. No one who semi-likes this game is going to be on here.

It seems like people are being harsher as of late... So in a nutshell, they will grow into nice baywatchers eventually... yeah

As for a topic Discussion.
I think everything needs to be touched on. If I were to choose I would want to know about the sciences that Tarn wants to implement in DF. That way me and half the comuntiy will pour our shared knowleadge and search engines and elaborate on what we would like in upcoming releases. That or multi-culti-Fortress.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Jororked Forgefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 06:20:16 pm »

How about hearing from Toady on any future plans for plants/underground plants/farming/cooking upgrades.  I usually have an agrarian base for my fort and haven't heard much about if anything new was being planned for. 

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 10:17:48 pm »

Multiracial forts sound good.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 12:57:29 am »

I'm all up for hearing morea about indiviual combat.

I tried starting a topic about it a while ago and the results were... less then exciting..

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41256.0

If you're interested in artificial intelligance and theoretical physics however that thread is the one for you.
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7