Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Post Update Plans/Schemes/Projects?  (Read 2453 times)

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
Post Update Plans/Schemes/Projects?
« on: January 12, 2010, 03:14:29 am »

<<Spoiler Warning>> ((If you've been purposely avoiding information on the new update to keep things a surprise, steer clear of this thread.))

With Toadys massive new update drawing ever nearer, I couldn't help but wonder what plans my fellow DF players have?

I'm thinking of trying to find a sufficiently large cavern, and build an exact replica of a Human town out of Mushroom wood underground. If I'm lucky I might even manage to build it right under the city it's replicating.

Sure it's possible I could do this even now, but it wouldn't seem nearly as much fun.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post Update Plans/Schemes/Projects?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 04:45:51 am »

Replace the underground rivers with underground magma rivers.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 05:35:04 am »

Have a heart attack because of the sheer awesomeness.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:15:10 am »

Create a squad of knife wielding ambushers and give the gobbos a taste of their own medicine.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:53:28 am »

I'm going to just build a fortress, and make 1 megaproject every 5 years. There's just so much that can be done with all the extra stuff being added, I can't just choose one thing.

And extra z levels? Maybe I'll make a fort that uses vertical corridors, that could be interesting.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:09:53 am »

I am trying to design a new fortress layout to include hospital, operation theater, roman style bath and a crap ton of other things.

I know already my mason squad wont be 80% of the population anymore. Thankgod
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:42:46 am »

I'm going to recreate Chel'el'sussoloth from Drowtales.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:30:28 am »

I'm going to build a giant statue about 100 z levels tall that spews magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 10:34:11 am »

I'm thinking of embarking in the middle of the desert for the sheer heck of it (possibly with a river within the embark).

Honestly I'm not really sure what I'm going to do, most likely experiement with a whole bunch of stuff and I'll definetly have fun exploring the caverns.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 11:44:58 am »

i'm going to play a bit, then recreate the skaven from Warhammer Fantasy, as well as add a few creatures and poisons from the warhammer FRP.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 11:49:05 am »

On the playing front, I am going to make a city carved into the walls of an existing cavern, with plenty of bridges. Other than that, I'll see what comes up.

On the modding front, I'm going to give Goblins some castes, and make them more akin to Warhammer Fantasy's Greenskins.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 12:02:59 pm »

I will create a statue of Cthulhu.  And then obsidian-cast the world up to the top of it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 05:26:30 pm »

I'm going to build a gigantic aboveground fortress centred around a battle arena.  In the very middle I will dig shafts straight down into the bowels of the earth, dug by miners of questionable life expectancy. Whatever is released will come raging up into the central arena where I will keep them trapped until the goblins come.  These too will be lured into the central arena and entertaining battle will ensue while my entire fortress watches from the grand stands. (Kept there by the new burrows and alert systems.)

I'll have to work magma, pressure plates, draw bridges, spikes traps, and kittens into the design somewhere, of course.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 05:29:13 pm »

On the topic of updates:  Where is the best thread to read about what stuff we will be able to do come the new update?

But most likely I will be building a massive fortress as per usual, and I know there will be military updates so I am going to basically turn it into a war academy of sorts.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 05:40:28 pm »

It's not really a thread, but this link holds everything known for the next update.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AT8EQVUjrv96ZGc5cnBwOHZfMjgyY3FzZHFtanA&hl=en&pli=1

Nothing is needed to view it, besides a browser.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 
Pages: [1] 2