Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interesting History Fact  (Read 1718 times)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting History Fact
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:10:26 pm »

Pretty sure the Tlingits of the west coast of Canada and parts of Alaska used wooden armor, and primarily copper daggers.  A bit of meteoric iron as well, IIRC.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:12:12 pm »

The Toltec used wooden weapons to subdue enemies for capture and sacrifice--a dwarfy reason indeed.

The elves use wooden weapons only because they don't know any better.

Advantage: Toltec.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 01:00:17 am »

The Toltec used wooden weapons to subdue enemies for capture and sacrifice--a dwarfy reason indeed.

The elves use wooden weapons only because they don't know any better.

Advantage: Toltec.

Nah. Elves use wooden weapons to tenderize the meat before eating it.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:51:22 am »

In soviet forest retreat, wood carve you!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 02:29:35 am »

Elves use wooden weapons to tenderize the meat before eating it.

Other than the occasional lucky arrow, that doesn't seem to work too well for them, does it?

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 03:22:30 am »

Aside from a healthy supply of human sacrifice, it also really doesn't make sense to utterly wipe your enemies away. After all, you're not going to be getting much tribute if a majority of the tribe you just conquered is now wonderful fertilizer.

And also, it helps to keep your conquered enemies loyal. If they see you're merciful enough not to kill them, they might consider keeping you happy longer, and when they get uppity, you come down their head and beat the crap out of them.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 03:39:33 am »

Aside from a healthy supply of human sacrifice, it also really doesn't make sense to utterly wipe your enemies away. After all, you're not going to be getting much tribute if a majority of the tribe you just conquered is now wonderful fertilizer.

Well, if you just want their lands or herds, and don't give a damn about the extra mouths and bureaucratic overhead that goes with conquering and ruling, simply culling the enemy is a pretty convenient option.

Leaving the enemy behind gives them the memory of having been subjugated by you, and can lead to reversals in the future. For example it is suspected that because the ancient civilization of Teotihuacan left their enemies as tributary states, their trading empire was eventually superceded by their vassals, leading to their decline and fiery ruin.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 05:59:20 am »

Oriental wooden weapons such as shinai and bokken are still in use today.  Bokken are strong enough that hard strikes with them are more likely to break bones, possibly killing the target, than break the sword, though of course they are 'training' weapons and you're not supposed to hit anyone with them.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:28:29 am »

A bokken is just a stick of wood.  Like that's something special just because it's Japanese?  A hickory axe handle does the exact same thing.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:54:19 am »

Like that's something special just because it's Japanese?

Pretty much, yeah.

A european example: The Quarter-Staff is (in the hands of someone who's competent) more dangerous than a sword, one on one.

And, of course, nobody can forget the Scottish Caber, probably the ultimate in wooden weapons.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:58:58 am by Astramancer »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 10:07:29 am »

Well, if you just want their lands or herds, and don't give a damn about the extra mouths and bureaucratic overhead that goes with conquering and ruling, simply culling the enemy is a pretty convenient option.

Leaving the enemy behind gives them the memory of having been subjugated by you, and can lead to reversals in the future. For example it is suspected that because the ancient civilization of Teotihuacan left their enemies as tributary states, their trading empire was eventually superceded by their vassals, leading to their decline and fiery ruin.

The Spanish conquistadors kind of helped along the way though.

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 10:58:14 am »

Wrong Mesoamerican civilization; Teotihuacan isn't Tenochtitlan.  Although the Aztecs basically made a similar mistake: leaving tributary states around who were angry at the Aztecs and more than willing to help a few hundred foreigners topple a large empire.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 11:03:46 am »

Wrong Mesoamerican civilization; Teotihuacan isn't Tenochtitlan.  Although the Aztecs basically made a similar mistake: leaving tributary states around who were angry at the Aztecs and more than willing to help a few hundred foreigners topple a large empire.

oops, those Mesoamerican city names can be confused with each other sometimes. I didn't quite remember what the Aztec city name was and wasn't sure what tribe/group/civilization Teotihuacan belonged to.

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 11:39:22 am »

Fair enough (I only know the difference off-hand myself because my best friend is a bit obsessive on the subject); and like I said, the same observation does apply to the later Aztecs of Tenochtitlan just as easily.

Towards the original topic, I suppose one should ask...maybe Elves should come up with such a use for wooden weapons!  Goblins already take prisoners (well, kidnap children); perhaps Elves should use wooden club attacks for live capture during ambushes--and effectively give dwarves the [COOKABLE_LIVE] tag?

Hmm, I kind of like it.
Pages: [1] 2