Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Kobold Armor  (Read 2802 times)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Armor
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 01:06:28 am »

Couldn't you just give the Kobolds the [STOUT] tag? Then they could wear dwarven armor. Just go to a dwarven town and buy armor there if you don't already start with it at creation.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 01:11:42 am »

Two problems with that:
1. Even when stout, kobolds would still be one size smaller than dwarves.
2. Dwarves won't live in towns, and thus have no shops, unless the OP has modded them to do so.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 01:13:51 am »

Then you could just mod their size and equipment to be like humans. Gigantor kobolds ftw.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 07:57:41 am »

Or just mod their entity to have armors. Much easier.
You can use my kobols as example, they wear pauldrons and helmets made of insects and bug carapaces instead of shields. Quite in-character for me.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 08:39:44 am »

Or just mod their entity to have armors. Much easier.
You can use my kobols as example, they wear pauldrons and helmets made of insects and bug carapaces instead of shields. Quite in-character for me.

The problem is modding the entity file in this way requires a regen, so all the current work on your kobold is wasted.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 06:03:47 am »

Well yeah. I wonder, if you mod their size up, wear an equipment and mod their size back down... Will it work this way? Will the game resize the worn armor?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 09:45:43 pm »

As was suggested, if you retire in a civ, then do fortress play or another adventurer before resuming that retired guy, you'll often get some type of equipment from the civ you retire with.

If your title is "Elite Wrestler" though, you'll be outfitted like a wrestler, and won't wind up with any of the armor.  Same with being a Bowman or Crossbowman, you'd get their standard set up.  You'd need to have a title reflect one of the melee weapons to get outfitted with the armor that you seem to be after.

"Play Now!" type guys seem to only have the title of "Recruit".
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 11:35:31 pm »

You know, I tried modding in leather armor on kobolds, and none of them ever have it, even though they still wear leather tunics.  No idea why.  And yes, I regenned, and even cleared out the \objects\data folder.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 05:17:31 pm »

Did you add [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS] to them?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 06:57:52 pm »

Unnecessary, as kobolds already have [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS] in vanilla.  Like I said, they were still wearing leather items.  Hm, caps aren't vanilla, and they're wearing caps, so that mod worked.  They successfully use shields, too.  Why no armor?  It's a mystery.

Retrying, and copy-pasting leather armor from the dwarf entity in case there was a typo...

Adventurer, highest skill spear...

Copper spear
Copper shield
Large rat leather loincloth
Giant cave swallow leather tunic
Longnose gar leather cap
Hoary marmot leather waterskin
Giant cave spider silk backpack

???

Maybe if I remove tunics and regen again.  Let's see...

Nope, this adventurer isn't wearing any torso piece at all.  Just a loincloth and cap.

:(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 07:02:56 pm by Arrkhal »
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:20 pm »

I'm having a similar problem. All of my entities, save for the elves, have platemail:common in their raws, but I have yet to see a single invader wearing plate armor.

You think this sort of thing might be related to your unarmored kobold problem?

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 07:30:49 pm »

It may be.  Come to think of it, vanilla elves have all the armors, and I've never seen them make any.  Maybe wood armor works differently from wood weapons?

Actually, though I should try something out first.  Add in chainmail on the kobolds, since the game usually tries to give armorlevel 2 stuff to melee adventurers, level 1 to archers.  See if being an archer results in leather armor, and a spearfighter in copper chain.

Okay, that worked perfectly.  Designer oversight, apparently.  If there is no chain level armor, the game won't try to see if there's anything lower.  Dunno why I never thought of that before.  So if I clone leather (with a different name) but make the armorlevel 2, and give it to kobolds exclusively, that'll solve that.

No idea about the platemail problem, though.  I'm pretty sure I've seen gobbo siegers wearing plate level armor before.  I guess it is possible, though, that the computer simply never gives armorlevel 3 stuff to NPCs.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 07:43:57 pm by Arrkhal »

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 02:46:54 am »

Adventurers never start with plate armor in vanilla; perhaps it is the same principle?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 05:05:43 am »

No idea about the platemail problem, though.  I'm pretty sure I've seen gobbo siegers wearing plate level armor before.

In my last game I'm being constantly besieged by humans, elves, goblins, kobolds, giants, cyclopes and minotaurs (I had to mod the last three races to form civilizations, obviously), all of which should be commonly using plate mail, according to their raws. It's been ~10 years now, with a couple thousand invaders dead, and I have yet to see a single set of plate armor that wasn't made by dwarves. What are the odds of that?

Adventurers never start with plate armor in vanilla; perhaps it is the same principle?

You're saying that the game won't equip an adventurer with armor of the highest level, so when leather armor is a civilization's best, an adventurer will be wearing nothing thicker than civilian clothing?

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 05:36:59 am »

Odd that they will not siege you wearing plate armour; however, I do know that elves will make and use wooden plate armour, as I have killed elven civilizations in adventurer mode and thrown their own plate armour at them.

I suppose it is possible that platemail is less likely to be worn by enemies in fortress mode, and even more likely that such an occurrance would be associated with that no adventurer may spawn with plate-level armour.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.
Pages: 1 [2] 3