Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: This Season on FOX: The Sarah Palin Hour  (Read 10394 times)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Re: This Season on FOX: The Sarah Palin Hour
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2010, 02:48:44 pm »

So like I was saying I dont have fox anymore because I moved to england. The thing that worries me is that half of the american (Fat,stupid,rednecks,rascists) will follow palin like sheep following a shepard.

Weren't you just getting mad about people making generalizations?

I wasnt making a generalization Ive lived in america and I know almost half the people in the midwest and south are like that.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2010, 02:54:07 pm »

Wow, you know almost half the people in the Midwest and South?  You should run for office, you've shaken more hands than anybody.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2010, 03:00:17 pm »

No, it's clear he knows everyone there, and more then half of them are stereotypes.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2010, 03:05:41 pm »

Americans are so quick to stereotype.
Shoes...

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2010, 03:29:27 pm »

So like I was saying I dont have fox anymore because I moved to england. The thing that worries me is that half of the american (Fat,stupid,rednecks,rascists) will follow palin like sheep following a shepard.

That's what makes it funny.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2010, 03:36:07 pm »

For the record, Mississippi (Which has the highest obesity rate) is only around 30% of the population.  That's still a ridiculously high number, but it's hardly "half of the american"
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2010, 03:49:21 pm »

I don't know if it's this way in other countries, but America has some spastic and inconsistent ideas of what exactly "overweight" means.  People under 18 are supposed to be one of the unhealthiest parts of the population, but I think it's just unrealistic medical standards.  When I was highschool, we did those body mass calculations, where you rubric out your height, weight, and age to determine if you're Underweight, Healthy, Overweight, or Obese.  Out of like 30 people, none were underweight and about 5 were just barely "healthy".  At 5'10" and 120lbs, I was not one of them.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2010, 06:01:11 pm »

5 ft 10 inches and 120 pounds is skinny. That's approximately the ratio I'm at.

But yeah, if you looked at the Center for Disease Control information I posted earlier, 67% of American ADULTs are overweight, and 34% are obese - as in, really, really fat.

While we are teens and looking to hook up, we tend to stay in better shape. After we pass adulthood, things go downhill rapidly.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2010, 11:45:43 pm »

They're only ignorant generalizations when you don't agree with them, of course.

I'd like to mention that news outlets do polls on this stuff all the time.  The average response is that about 1/3 of responders (typically older middle-class white people) call themselves Republicans or some pseudo-independent equivalent thereof.  Depending on whether she's been in the news recently, about half of those say they'd vote for her for President.  Interestingly enough, the last one I saw had 56% say they'd vote for her, but only 52% thinks she's qualified to be President.  Among the many other things she's degraded, you can throw in Republican voter logic.

Well, on the topic of polls, we all know about Fox's habit of changing vote "results" drastically and making it really obvious, I remember one where the totals equaled 140 something percent where voters were only allowed to choose one answer.[/  :Pi]
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2010, 12:15:35 am »

They're only ignorant generalizations when you don't agree with them, of course.

I'd like to mention that news outlets do polls on this stuff all the time.  The average response is that about 1/3 of responders (typically older middle-class white people) call themselves Republicans or some pseudo-independent equivalent thereof.  Depending on whether she's been in the news recently, about half of those say they'd vote for her for President.  Interestingly enough, the last one I saw had 56% say they'd vote for her, but only 52% thinks she's qualified to be President.  Among the many other things she's degraded, you can throw in Republican voter logic.

Well, on the topic of polls, we all know about Fox's habit of changing vote "results" drastically and making it really obvious, I remember one where the totals equaled 140 something percent where voters were only allowed to choose one answer.[/  :Pi]

"Well, it's not that we're lying. It's that... uh... a rounding error. Yep, that's what it was, a rounding error."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2010, 12:49:03 am »

I wasnt making a generalization Ive lived in america and I know almost half the people in the midwest and south are like that.

Some concepts you might want to look up via Google/Wikipedia:
  • Cognitive bias (see also: expectation bias)
  • The word "generalization" (regardless of how true it is or what your reasons, you're still making one)
  • Egocentrism
  • Anecdotal evidence

Seriously. Yes, there are probably a lot of people with characteristics you'd find negative in, say, the Midwest. This doesn't mean you should paint the entire country (or even that region itself) with such broad strokes by setting them up as some sort of strawman version of what they are.

And hell, you responded to someone else in the thread doing this with a giant image that said "FUCK YOU'. Aren't you classy.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2010, 01:13:03 am »

Some of you have gone over the line as far as trying to piss off huge groups of people.  Huesoo, you in particular shouldn't refer to women as 'bitches.'  Everyone try to keep it under control.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2010, 03:14:20 am »

But what is the percentage of ... low IQ people living in America?

Assuming a normal distribution and defining "low" as "below average", about 50%.  Now stop confusing education with intelligence.  :P

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2010, 03:21:00 am »

Well don't you know, intelligence is all about being able to efficiently communicate.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...well, don't you know, be very careful about how you define intelligence. ;)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2010, 03:31:54 am »

I fail to see any communication problems in your example.  He may well be the most concise communicator in the history of the illustrated word.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14