Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will he ever be better?  (Read 1276 times)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will he ever be better?
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:03:50 pm »

I have a marksdwarf that lost both of his eyes to a gargoyle. Now that he's finished healing his other injuries he's flopping around in the food stockpile as he tries to feed himself between bouts of unconsciousness. Is there any hope of him returning to any semblance of functionality?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Will he ever be better?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:07:06 pm »

You could try boosting his attributes via training in domestic arts like pump operating so the pain doesn't knock him out so badly.  I suggest you not keep him as a Marksdwarf, either way, since blind Marksdwarves aim randomly.
Sanity is for the weak.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:10:54 pm »

He'll be fine as a melee dwarf as long as he's got a sighted squad leader. Getting him to stop passing out will be tricky if he can't be made a civilian, as the most common methods of building EXP (and therefore attributes) involve making a dwarf operate pumps or do the books. If he can't be deactivated, the only options are the Fortress Guard or death.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 04:20:16 pm »

I like blind marksdwarves, especially elite ones... I fell off my chair laughing, when I first saw a blind champion marksdwarf firing at least 100bpm (bolts per minute) in completely random directions ;D
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:49:37 pm »

I like blind marksdwarves, especially elite ones... I fell off my chair laughing, when I first saw a blind champion marksdwarf firing at least 100bpm (bolts per minute) in completely random directions ;D

He would be perfect when your army gets surrounded.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:20:45 pm »

Actually, I think toady said that when a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become unstoppable killing machines, and even a blind dwarf is treated as though it can see. I'm not sure if he was just talking about attack penalties, or if an entranced marksdwarf can actually shoot far away enemies. If you don't feel like putting him in the Department of Dwarven Veteran's Affairs, he might be able to do something as a lone defender. Maybe you could station him somewhere as a first responder to ambushes and sieges?
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:26:51 pm »

Someone tried the dwarven pool healing method. Namely, when he goes to rest you flood and drain the room repeatably, therefore giving him swimming skill and hopefully toughness attributes.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 06:16:55 pm »

Well I had thought about promoting him to captain of the marksdwarves <.<

Unfortunately he's a bit of a noob dwarf and seems to be having trouble staying conscious long enough to feed himself, so I'm not feeling too hopeful for him 

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 06:21:51 pm »

Make sure he doesn't go near weapon traps.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 09:58:57 pm »

I thought dwarves no longer sleep on trap tiles? Or would falling unconscious on it still do it?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 10:17:48 pm »

Yes it would, I've lost wounded dwarfs and pets that way.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 10:49:00 pm »

Yes it would, I've lost wounded dwarfs and pets that way.

I can't think of any way that this wouldn't be hilarious.

Typically, if they're that wounded, they'll never be useful again. Minced by full steel weapon trap seems like it would be pretty quick and painless.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 11:04:37 pm »

I certainly didn't mind the pets getting minced.  It gets kind of sad, watching them staggering around with half their body parts missing. 

It was annoying when the dwarf who was fine except for the wounded lung he wouldn't rest got skewered, though.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 11:46:25 pm »

Dwarven water aerobics? Awesome. I may have to maim someone just so I can try this.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 11:56:49 pm »

Dwarves will die to traps if they get webbed, stunned, or pass out due to pain there. Anything else and they're fine. Toady has it hardcoded so tiredness will not cause a dwarf to fall asleep on a trap tile, in fact, a dwarf will stay awake forever if his only options to sleep are trap tiles (unfortunately, they can sleep anywhere else, so you can't use this to keep them awake unless you have them doing literally nothing).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: [1] 2