Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [modding] Melee attacks despite being armed  (Read 681 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
[modding] Melee attacks despite being armed
« on: January 27, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »

There's hardly any use for this, but it IS a suggestions forum...

During the creation of my martial arts mod, an issue has come up with a weapon - any weapon, even accidentally acquired - automatically switching on default behavior for being "armed" resulting in giants grabbing a sock of yours, and starting to bash you with it, negating most of the point of having improved melee attacks.

Maybe have a special tag for weapons that allows attacking in melee while the weapon is held? I mean things like staves. Both hands will be occupied by the staff, and it will be possible to attack with the staff while still attacking with the legs. As well, any non-weapon item will invoke the same behavior when wielded - any attack not involving a bodypart occupied by a grasp or object will be available.

Also, on a similar topic - why do creatures deadly by design attempt to grab you, as opposed to just whacking away, despite having no "grasp"?

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [modding] Melee attacks despite being armed
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

Oh, but removing the "tears off your pants and beats you with them" would mean that adventurers can't be beaten to death with their own masterwork deer leather pants!
*Reference to someone signature*

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

I didn't say "don't attack with improvised weapons". I said "attack normally despite having an improvised weapon". You would still be bashed with your own trousers periodically, but you will at the same time be punched/kicked/bitten/whatever melee attacks the creature has.

And, while I'm at it. Another tag suggestion, this time catering to the more bizarre modding possibilties.

[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:LLA:shoot:shoots:0:1:HEAT][ATTACKFLAG_WITH_NOYOU][ATTACKFLAG_RANGED:CROSSBOW:dart:1:4:PIERCE][ATTACKFLAG_NOTARGET]

With_noyou means a message like "the something attacks with its something" instead of "the something attacks you with its something" that is used in conjunction with the following. Can be split into normal "with" and additional "noyou".
Notarget is from my previous suggestion on combat modification.
The ranged flag syntax is [flag:skill :projectile:damage:damage:damagetype].

The use of it is fairly self-explanatory. Apart from mecha and the like, allows to have spitting snakes and insects shooting darts.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

I agree whit the first post but not the second.

I would also want to have an [EXTRACT_PAIN] tag for venomous creatures. (causing strong pain on inject, naturally)

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 09:50:00 am »

I'll repost the issue into the bug reports sometime, but for now I'll bump this one.

On the subject of extract tags...  why can skeletons be paralyzed? Also, ironmen and bronze colossi? I understand that skeletons, as such, are just a template that bases off normal creatures, but I though that the poison/paralysis issue was more thought through, since all the others (pain, stunning, bleeding, exhaustion) are accounted for. Ironmen and colossi I fixed in the said martial arts mod.