Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Low-level ideas?  (Read 1782 times)

g0ds4v3tehqu33n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Low-level ideas?
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:18:30 am »

I've tried Adventure mode a few times, but I always die near instantly
Is there any way, other than wandering around (because that doesn't seem to work) to find low level (easier) foes to practice on?
I don't want to have to keep starting fights in towns if i can help it.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
Re: Low-level ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 11:44:27 am »

You can practice throwing anywhere.  Even if you throw stuff straight down at the ground, it trains your skill just as much as beaning a wolf in the face with a spinning live rat.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:44:30 pm »

I don't know how skill gains will work in the coming version, but for now you pretty much have to grind by picking up a couple hundred rocks, then throwing them all, then finding an ocean, taking a dip, turn sneaking on, and train your swimming and sneaking skills for a while. Hopefully you'll get your stat gains in toughness, and not all in agility. It's kind of cheaty, but it's the way you have to go if you want to survive. Besides, even with this training, you'll still likely get all your internal organs pierced in a single shot from an unseen goblin marksman and bleed to death before you have a chance to react.

I hope bows and crossbows are getting nerfed in the new release.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:30:49 pm »

You can nerf 'em in the raws- just change the damage from arrows and bolts from 100 to anything lower.

Throwing actually gives you considerably more experience if you make a kill with it. Unfortunately, that's damn near impossible if you don't train throwing first.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:36:54 pm »

Create a whole civ of defenseless weak creatures but breed very high.
Go to their civ.
Murder 'em all.
???
Profit.

Or you can just sneak around, or throw stuff. Don't swim unless you're above Novice Swimmer.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:58:10 pm »

In the ocean, if you're careful, you can do alright dabbling, as long as you remember to walk back on shore before you drown. Don't go diving into a pool or river unskilled though. Anything without slopes will be a one-way trip.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:57:58 am »

The vanilla game could use more enemies to fight, both weak and strong. Toady has mentioned adding some stuff like that for adventurers in the next version.

In the ocean, if you're careful, you can do alright dabbling, as long as you remember to walk back on shore before you drown.
Yes, though it's sorta hard to tell how long you're going to last before you drown. A tough adventurer would manage to move 30-40 steps underwater without any swimming skill, but there won't be any signs that you have only a few turns left. No becoming winded or the like.

Majorlag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:39:29 am »

Well, the way I do it is to find a nice area full of wolves. Run from anything stronger. Encounter more than 1 or 2 wolves? Run. While running, you can throw stuff at them. I like wolf corpses, coins and sand. If you get lucky you might injure enough of them to start wrestling them to death (or slicing, bludgeoning, lashing, or chopping them to death). After a little of that you won't need to run any more and can work your way up to bigger stuff. Having some swimming helps too, since it lets you hide in the water and throw mud from a safe distance.

If you're so inclined, you can also sneak into your race's settlements, find a sleeping guard, strangle him to death and knick his stuff. If you're feeling guilty about strangling him to death while he is peacefully asleep in bed with his wife and child, you can just grab the armor you want and use the Interact menu to gain possession of it. Note however that they will know what you've done. Even though they were all asleep, and weren't even awakened by you hastily ripping their armor off, you were secretly being recorded by their iron age surveillance cameras. Anyways, decent equipment will make everything a little easier too.
The True Adventures of ___________

Insight into the minds of Dwarf Fortress Players - Random Quote of the Month:
He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:24:29 am »

Actually, if your weapon does slashing or bludgeoning damage, you can go up against quite a few wolves, as long as you engage them one by one. A spear gets stuck too often to be useful against large numbers, especially if you're just starting out and have a relatively low Strength attribute.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 10:33:00 pm »

Even if you run into a large pack of wolves (I've never seen as few as 1-2), they are pretty easy if you don't let them surround you.  Most good hits will disable them at least temporarily, making it a simple game of "divide and conquer."

I enjoy playing as four-armed civilizations.  While you can still only utilize one weapon, you can hold and use a shield in all of your hands.  4x shield bashing is some easy experience, and once you stop tiring out, you will pretty much last forever.  Extra arms are also nice for wrestling, since you can have a free hand for ripping out eyes/grabbing equipment, and still hold a weapon and shields.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 10:57:22 pm »

Even with as little as two arms, you can hold practically any number of shields. ::)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 11:13:30 pm »

I use that exploit like no tomorrow. I always pick up the wooden shields that the elves drop (sheerly for the extra blocking and light-weight) and then I go attack tougher human towns. By that point encumbrance is a non-issue, as I'm easily lugging fourty wooden shields, thirty iron shields and my steel shield I got from the start.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 11:38:16 pm »

Even if you run into a large pack of wolves (I've never seen as few as 1-2), they are pretty easy if you don't let them surround you.  Most good hits will disable them at least temporarily, making it a simple game of "divide and conquer."

I enjoy playing as four-armed civilizations.  While you can still only utilize one weapon, you can hold and use a shield in all of your hands.  4x shield bashing is some easy experience, and once you stop tiring out, you will pretty much last forever.  Extra arms are also nice for wrestling, since you can have a free hand for ripping out eyes/grabbing equipment, and still hold a weapon and shields.

"GORO, PRINCE OF PAIN."

I'm working on an MK mod right now, just for the halibut.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 12:13:51 am »

yeah, you can weild like 400 shields in one hand but still hold a two handed weapon in the other.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 12:24:52 am »

Wielding two shields alone allowed Noloc from Valcon's let's play to survive an abnormally long time. What would you need 400 for? :D
Pages: [1] 2