Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Diversity in Worldgen Construction  (Read 512 times)

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More Diversity in Worldgen Construction
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:46:37 am »

The buildings in Worldgen right get extremely repetitive. They get pretty bland and boring.

Soo.. Knowing that Toady probably is going to be adding some more variety....
I'm suggesting that we should have some fun and discuss what we would like to see, I.E. gobbo camps spread out randomly in evil biomes, a human barracks built near a road, dwarven breweries. Let's make some in fortress mode and post screenies, yesyes?

Discuss discuss...
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Diversity in Worldgen Construction
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:54:04 am »

There's been a thread where a few fairly elaborate systems to do that were discussed. The most interesting aspect I remember was to let buildings be defined by the players in an exchangeable format, and rate their economic, cultural, political, residential importance so the game could figure out which and how many buildings to use to build a town as a opposed to a hamlet, and add or remove them as history progresses.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:56:42 pm »

I have an idea  ;D

Give each leader a new preference as to how a town should be layed out.  A town could be evenly divided by a road or river if the leader likes that sort of thing (don't forget the bridge for the river).  A social leader would prefer the towns to be more compact and with a larger inn.  A militaristic leader would build a wall around the town.  Some would prefer the shops stay in the middle of town, some wouldn't care.   Some would want the whole town in a grid, while some would divide the town into quarters with two "roads" intersecting in the middle.

And some would be quite fond of the windy-twisty-meandering roads often found in Europe (at least, that's what I've heard about Europe :P)

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 03:29:49 am »

And if there like me most thing are symmetry.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false