Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: -Scorchinghatchet- Succesion Fort  (Read 7561 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: -Scorchinghatchet- Succesion Fort
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2010, 02:48:34 pm »

Thanks to reproduction by spores,and considering the size of the mountains, there's a fairly good chance that you'd only need one eagle to start pumping out its children.

Also, great narrative. Even random puns like "They didn't take kindly to it. They took hammers to it." made me giggle.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2010, 01:25:47 am »

I really felt a connection with that eagle. Every few minutes when there wasn't anything interesting I liked to just go stare at it, shouting pointlessly at my monitor for it to maybe move a few tiles.

Nothing. That bird literally flew to that spot in spring and hasn't moved an inch.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2010, 07:49:47 pm »

As soon as migrants arrive it will swoop down, scare the useless ones away and only the useful dwarves will enter Scorchinghatchet.

Who's playing next?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2010, 08:17:06 pm »

It's TKGP's turn. It looks like he hasn't been online since yesterday. Maybe he's working on it.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2010, 12:22:14 am »

Also, the eagle is south east of the fortress. The liason arrived from the west of the map and didn't have to go past the eagle, and the migrants+wagon came from the north-west. So, I don't think anything is really going to go past that eagle, except maybe kobolds and goblins. Maybe Hopefully the elves.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2010, 02:29:02 am »

Just recognized your avatar. It's that girl from Queens Blade. I'm kinda otaku, so I know a lot about it. Nice
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2010, 03:30:07 am »

Just recognized your avatar. It's that girl from Queens Blade. I'm kinda otaku, so I know a lot about it. Nice
Hey, finally I don't have to tell someone about Melorna. You wouldn't believe the PMs I get about it.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2010, 06:43:47 am »

Yep, I'm here, sorry about that. I seem to have gotten the order mixed up in my head. Anyways, updates will be coming soon, bar any unforeseen issues.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2010, 08:45:16 pm »

Well, being the fairly uneventful year that it was, and being the fairly concise writer that I am, I'm just going to be posting the whole year at once.

A few things of interest happened. 10 or so Beak Dogs attempted to raid the base, killing two of the crossbowdorfs, leaving only 'Ohgame' left. A sasquatch appeared, killed one dorf, and was quickly put down by the newly formed wrestling squad. I've constructed a medium sized spire over the trade depot. Pull the lever in 'Ohgame''s bedroom to destroy any traders that happen to be there. If you do, make sure your dorfs are fairly far away, because it punches through the floor into the main fort. You could probably stop that by building some walls in the floor below it. Essentially the whole fort has been smoothed, sans mining areas. More exploratory mining started on the lowest floor, as there are more gems and such down there. Two ambushes occurred, the second taking the life of a Champion wrestler.
Somehow the giant eagle met it's end, which I noticed only when I saw a giant eagle bone craft being taken to the depot. Sorry Doomshifter ;-;
Some coffins have been placed in the original mining level, various small improvements have been made to the fort in general, a large chasm cleft through the mountain was uncovered, and besides that basically nothing happened.
Operation Smooth Everything on the Map Just Because I Can was started; a decent start has been made. I'd appreciate it if further rulers continued this endeavor.
A very boring artifact Mica cabinet and Tower-cap crossbow were produced as well.
My tomb is just opposite of Doomshifter's. Now with derivative architecture and even less color!

I realize that was barely coherent, but it's late and I have the dumb. Sorry for the lack of interesting.
Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1797
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Evondral

• Bay Watcher
  • Neckbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2010, 11:15:56 pm »

No problem TKGP.

I've already started on my turn, so expect to have something by at least tomorrow afternoon.
I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took a -=Steel Bolt=- in the [Left Knee, the muscle is torn!].

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2010, 11:29:13 pm »

THE GREAT EAGLE SHALL LIVE ON FOREVER IN MY HEART!

REST IN PEACE, OH MIGHTY BEAST.

Evondral

• Bay Watcher
  • Neckbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2010, 03:21:11 pm »

(Boy was Spring a bit eventful)

Granite 203: I, Evondral, have at last arrived at the fortress of Scorchinghatchet…yet another strange name the Surveyors have given a place. Immediately I find one of our dwarves is possessed. No problem, as he seems to be constructing whatever it is he's making as I speak, babbling the name of his work aloud.

I also take a look at our stocks, looks like everything is in order, we’ve got enough food and booze to last us for the time being, and the farms are planted and well-tended.

I immediately set out to correct the most obvious need: more housing. Sorry previous ruler (the locals tell me he was named…TKGP, what an odd name) I must cancel project ‘Pave the World’ for the time being. Rest assured that when my immediate goals are met, it will resume. Our only real problem is the extreme lack of wood on site, which means we'll be doing a lot of importing and rationing, thank Armok that we've got Magma to lighten the load.

I also make a few minor changes to jobs, mostly making that useless Fish Cleaner a dedicated hauler and authorizing three more dwarves to construct architecture.

The possessed Dwarf finishes his work. Behold Eser Sibosh, a Felsite Crown! Of course since he was possessed, the useless sod failed to gain any skill in crafting. Damn.

Oh goodie, the elven caravan has arrived and begun to promptly unload their goods. It’s taking a lot of willpower now to throw that lever one of our Military Captains told me about… Goddamn I hate elves.

Nevertheless, they might have something useful, so I send crafts and a trader up to the Dep-

Oh Armok DAMMIT.

A Goblin ambush crops up right next to the depot, -right- after the last mule unpacks its load. The elves are immediately slaughtered, as are two of the champions I sent at them. We managed to kill most of those opportunistic pricks, and the survivors flee not long after. At least we got some free stuff out of it…though already this place is feeling mighty tense. Better get that wall constructed and get some more weapon traps installed before too long. Captain TKGP was unharmed, at least.

We're also getting some badly-needed Iron off the corpses, too.

The rest of the month passed without further incident, more or less allowing me to get some more bedrooms and crafts contructed. We also now have a Marksdwarf squad, so I'm shifting bone use to making ammo, since we have much too little wood to make wooden arrows.

Felsite: Some harpies decide to harass our dwarves out in the fields. Our crossbow bolts were only too happy to get acquainted. One of them chased and managed to lightly injure one of our lads, nothing major, luckily.

The yearly migrant wave hits as predicted, and with them comes a fully equipped hammerdwarf! I immediately put him under the command of Captain TKGP.  This Migrant wave also prompted me to make a dedicated task force of haulers so our real crafters and smiths will have more time to make stuff. I also optimized and simplified the job system, passing out general titles to the work force for easier viewing in that mural of jobs they call the ‘Therapist’, whatever the hell that means.

Oh, and we now have a mayor, which means I have to start digging out some Noble’s quarters. Joy.

At last! The wall is completed, and some weapon traps have been laid in place with two Iron Axes installed apiece. Ambush –this- you green goblin bastards!

(And there we have Spring. I'll try to be just a bit more concise for the rest of the year, cause I just couldn't resist making my first journal post picture-heavy.)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 03:22:49 pm by Evondral »
I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took a -=Steel Bolt=- in the [Left Knee, the muscle is torn!].

Evondral

• Bay Watcher
  • Neckbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2010, 01:39:33 am »

The Human caravan arrives about midway through the month, and they carry with them ample supplies of wood, food, and drink. All that useless, unwearable cloth that came from the last goblin ambush is traded off for these amenities.  I also secured a little extra leather to outfit our military, as well as some cloth for future endeavors. After a brief discussion in my office with the liaison they brought with them, I requested they bring much the same next year.

Malachite: A flipping –ton- of Kobold thieves attempt to steal from the temporary stockpiles I’ve set within the walls until space can be dug out for them. All are cut down by the caravan bowmen before they can even hit the weapon traps. I mean honestly:

STOP CHARGIN’ THE FORT, ASSHOLES!

The rest of summer passes with absolutely nothing else happening.

Limestone: With little else to really do now that all the most urgent goals have been met, I let operation ‘Pave The World’ go forward a little. Scorchinghatchets is certainly gonna look pretty when everything’s done.

Wait...

The champions are already riding out. That bastard dies –now-.

VENGEANCE.

In other news, the Dwarven liaison and caravan have arrived at last. We’ll get to trading as soon as Ohgame gets his lazy dwarven ass out of bed.

Oh great, a second goblin ambush appears on the cliff overlooking the walls. Thankfully, they brought no bowmen. Two teamsters are killed before our now-armed-and-armored champions make short, easy work of them.

A second group of goblins is discovered, who promptly kill one of our engravers before paying Armok an eternal visit. More Iron and crap to sell to the next caravan.

DID I MENTION WE SENT ONE OF THE BASTARDS FLYING OFF THE CLIFF?!

TO ARMOK ON WINGS, BITCH!

The traders weren’t scared off, though, and Ohgame managed to barter a ton of supplies off of them. So far the fortress is coming along very well, and besides the four unfortunate deaths we’ve had so far, it’s been easy living for me. I suppose the fine craft of engraving mellows me out a little. Kind of hard to worry about goblins and harpies when you’ve got the comforting image of Dimple Cups and artifact crowns to look at all day.

Limestone: Really not much happened this month save the construction of a new Mausoleum where the graveyard once was.

Timber: I’ve found the depot still has a metric ton of crap still sitting on it. I immediately draft more haulers to get it moved before it rots in the light of that damn yellow orb in the sky.
The Dining room has also been significantly enlarged, and is now fully smoothed and engraved, with doors separating it from the hallway.

I’ve just been informed that one Mebzuth Okirnomal has been  taken by a mood, and has just sealed himself in a craftsdwarfs workshop. The sonuvabitch better grab some skills from this, or so help me… Sure enough, it doesn’t take him long to start working on it, so at least he won’t go insane like I’ve heard most dwarves do.

Damn that was quick! Mebzuth has crafted a felsite Earing: Etestate, The Blowing Touch. Umm, no comment on that one…

And he gained a skill alright; he’s now a legendary engraver. Gods, kill me now.

Seems that fortress production has ground to a resounding halt. A small check on the lists reveals most of the works checked in as “Attending a party”. Over half the Armok-damned fortress is in attendance. Of course I can’t complain…I’m here too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moonstone and Opal: Winter arrives with little fanfare, and the first two months pass with nothing more than a few grimelings running headfirst into the weapon traps.

Obsidian: Another dwarf taken by a mood, Lokum Andilsakrith. He, too, claims a craftsdwarfs workshop and begins to work after scampering all over the fortress gathering Gods know what. After awhile, he emerges with –yet another- felsite crown. At last, however, we’ve got a legendary Stonecrafter, so trading will be much easier now that we’ll be able to produce top-quality junk.

Spring has arrived, and with it the end of my term as ruler. I have built myself a modest tomb with the other two, and relinquish my powers to the next dwarf in line so that I may pursue my dream as a master engraver. Good luck to whosoever takes over for me. -Journal of Evondral.

--------
Below are pictures of the fortress as it currently stands.

Entrance with Walls and Mausoleum

The Farms and Workshops

The Dining Room and mass furniture storage

The Main Housing Complex

The Former Ruler Tombs

---
Oh, and you know how I said in my last post that TGKP was unharmed? Not true, he sustained injuries and is currently unconcious. Rest assured that he'll recover. We're also dangerously short on wood, so make sure to tell those caravans to bring you some each year so we don't run out. This was very fun, so please put me down for another turn!

Save will be up in a bit. Here you are

If I can make a request of my own: Could the next-in-line make an open-air statue garden? It'd help with preventing cave adaption, and we've got plenty of flat land to make one, and plenty of stone to wall the hole off from potential bowmen.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:07:08 am by Evondral »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2010, 05:07:08 am »

Ohgame wasn't being lazy.

He was meditating on the messages of the Eagle, so that he may be ready for the traders.
(Also, I think his cycle is stuck like that. He was asleep when the traders came for me, too.)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2010, 10:14:12 am »

Sign me up!  I want to play this thing :).  It'll be my first succession game.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:04:14 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10