Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: -Scorchinghatchet- Succesion Fort  (Read 7562 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: -Yet To Be Named- Succesion Fort
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2010, 06:04:15 am »

Sure!

My only request: set up farming quick. Farming in the small patch of Terrifying swamp we have is inefficient for hauling. The quicker we can flood some rock (we have a river and an underground river, should be easy) the quicker we can avoid giant swamp beetles and their ilk. *shudders*
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2010, 06:53:57 am »

I'm fairly certain you already have a world gen'd up. You care to share it with me? I can't start till I have the world.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2010, 08:07:08 am »

It's on DFFD in the community games section.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2010, 08:38:23 am »

Thanks. I'll start on it immediately.

EDIT: Any suggestions on names for this beastie, or do I get to name it/leave it to the RNG?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:43:57 am by Doomshifter »
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2010, 08:51:41 am »

RNG gave me Othlestkadol, or Scorchinghatchet. I think it will work.

I've embarked, and have started writing narrative. I'll play a season and post it all up.

Also, we have some WIERD GODS. My dwarf's god is Iden the Beach of Squids. She is a female char associated with lakes and coasts.

There's also Ber Bronzecrest the Mountainous Rock of Walls, a female hoary marmot associated with mountains, Rodem, a female dwarf associated with truth and lust (If "I'd tap that" counts as a truth...), Eshon Honoredsaviors, a female dwarf associated with generosity, Zulban Helmshoots, a female dwarf associated with chaos, war and fortresses and As, our only normal god, a male dwarf associated with jewels and minerals.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:05:48 am by Doomshifter »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2010, 09:48:54 am »

Helmshoots? Associated with war, chaos and fortresses?

It's the god of Headshoots, people. Armok is giving us a sign that this will be awesome.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2010, 09:56:06 am »

Helmshoots? Associated with war, chaos and fortresses?

It's the god of Headshoots, people. Armok is giving us a sign that this will be awesome.
I saw it and I had that exact same thought. We can only hope that this terrifying marsh area will actually give us some bloody undead. So far all we've had are mountain goats and such from over the mountains.

EDIT: Also, should it be cause for worry that Helmshoots' only worshipper is our woodcutter, who is also our only axe-wielding dwarf? I've got twenty bucks on him losing it first. Thirty says he goes berserk.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:04:29 am by Doomshifter »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2010, 10:40:58 am »

Diary of Kogan 'Ohgame' Furgalleys, Trader and Leader of the Outpost Scorchinghatchet.
- 29th of Obsidian, 200.
The new year is drawing close, and so is our destination. So dubbed Scorchinghatchet, or "Othlestkadol" in the more sophisticated tongue, we believe this out of the way location will be good for all dwarfkind. The great mountainhomes of The Humble Gate have sent us out to a ... somewhat interesting location.

A brook babbles through the centre of the area, twisting and turning through the rocks. To the south is supposedly a magma pool, and to the north a magma pipe. Also, local legend speaks of a strange, rare metal the likes this world has never seen! Hopefully we can get our hands on it!

- 2nd of Granite, 201
We have arrived.

I've ordered our miners to dig into the soft earth immediately next to us. It will give us good land to set up farming on. The woodcutter has been set on the trees and our farmer has begun looking for edible plants.

The carpenter is setting up a temporary shop outside to begin carving our beds while I supervise. The chef has little to do, and I suspect will be put to hauling when the stockrooms are dug out.

As suspected, a cavern to the south with a small entrance leads to the magma pool. Unfortunately, the magma pipe is deep underground somewhere, and we will have to dig it out. The only animals in the area are three fire imps lying in the magma and some hoary marmots off in the mountains.

- 4th of Granite
A miner tells me that we have struck native aluminium while digging out the store rooms! A good omen.

- 11th of Granite.
A miner tells me that we have struck microcline while digging out the bedrooms. These are dark days.

- 22nd of Granite.
All our rooms are carved out, and our beds have been moved inside. Now that the absolute essentials are out of the way, we can begin on setting up for a bit more comfort. I've ordered a still and kitchen to be set up inside, and I'm currently planning a workshop area, far away from the beds.

- 1st of Slate
Workshop area carved out. Brewing has begun wonderfully. A horde of mountain goats has replaced the marmots.

Ordered the miners to go down a few levels and dig in a grid pattern for useful gems and minerals.

- 14th of Slate
As I was smoothing, I heard a mysterious lack of noise. Everyone is asleep! They deserve it, after a month and a half of work. I think I shall sleep soon too.

- 25th of Slate
Our farms have been greatly extended, and a small crack has been poked in the roof for a small amount of above-ground crops to grow.

- 11th of Felsite
A giant eagle has been spotted in the distance! We can only hope it doesn't think our beards delicious enough to fly over here!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

- 26th of Felsite
As we near the end of spring, I decided I'd try my hand at engraving some images. I decided that an image of squares, the symbol of The Humble Gate, our civilisation, would be a nice start.

In other news, a swarm of horrible blood gnats is hanging around our newly extended store room. We're doing our best to avoid them.

- 30th of Felsite
With summer so close, I decided to stop and draw a few pictures of our fort so far. They'll be interesting to see in the future, when our fort is large and prosperous!

Oh, and I even made a bigger sketch of myself engraving!

Isn't it just wonderful?

---
That's all for spring, folks! I'm off to bed.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2010, 09:43:13 pm »

Yay!  :D

So, which dwarf am I? Please tell me I'm the woodcutter. Please.  :P

Defiance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2010, 06:56:59 am »

Whenever you go then you name a dorf after you :P

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: -Scorchinghatchet- Succesion Fort
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2010, 08:14:37 pm »

Wait, are there two giant eagles on this map? That's what it looks like in the screenshot.

If so, when the Dungeon Master arrives, he'll be busy...

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2010, 11:43:01 pm »

Wait, are there two giant eagles on this map? That's what it looks like in the screenshot.

If so, when the Dungeon Master arrives, he'll be busy...

Only one. I moved the cursor out of the way on purpose. Anyways, I'll try and get the rest of the year done today.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2010, 01:38:59 am »

- 8th of Hematite
Summer is here, and only with it's passing have I finally realised how much time I spent engraving. I think I may have accidentally changed jobs, haha!

I decided to hit the books and organise myself. I've already hit low precision, and even this minor change is showing itself in the stock books!

- 18th of Hematite
Trying to write in the stockbooks but Dishmab has contented herself with leaning on me. When I asked her why she wasn't working, she told me, "On break."

Dishmab, I know you can read this, get off me!

- 24th of Hematite
Miners finished with the grid. Nothing of interest was found. Nothing at all. What a shame.

Ah well. Now the miners are freed for other tasks. The crafter-miner Iton has returned to the craft shop to start carving out some mugs (We all know how fond the traders are of them!) and I have asked Ducim to carve out a mechanic's shop. You can never have enough mechanisms!

- 2nd of Malachite
The grower Kib has told me that summer is the season for Pig Tails, and that pig tails can be made into thread! I ordered up a farmer's workshop for her, and she is now in the process of extracting the thread. I'm sure it will be useful later.

- 5th of Malachite
Ordered a set of wooden spiked balls to be set into weapon traps, five for each side of our tiny entrance. Hopefully this will deter any unwanted intruders, at least for a time.

- 15th of Malachite
I keep staring out at that eagle. It's unnerving. It hasn't moved an inch all of summer. ... It's starting to scare me.

- 16th of Malachite
Kib came up to talk to me, taking a break from her busy growing schedule. 'There are no migrants this season' she told me. I replied with, "Of course. How would they migrate to a place nobody knows?" Kib gave me a look of deep concentration before nodding. 'Good point.'

- 21st of Malachite
Weapon traps are in place. I even put a menacing spike in one, just for kicks. It's raining, and everyone is finding the sound rather lulling. Dwarves are heading off for sleep.

-1st of Galena
Our barracks are complete, including an archery target. I plan to learn how to fire a crossbow soon! Surely it will be useful.

-11th of Galena
Mountain Gnomes! Just about everywhere, all over the mountains! I poked my head out as usual to stare at that silently hovering eagle when I noticed the little bastards crawling all over the place. Well, if they come over here, the war dog might just have something to say about that, as well as our weapon traps.

-16th of Galena
Decided to send my somewhat bored woodcutter outside to chase around the gnomes. One ran inside the fort and had his leg bitten off by the wardog. He's sitting outside, unconscious. For some reason, Shorast the cutter doesn't want to hurt it. 'Lookit 'im sleepin like a wee babe! I c'na hurt 'im!' she told me.

-17th of Galena
Gnome woke up. Shorast rethought her opinion and chopped it to bits.

-1st of Limestone
Autumn has come. Time for another overview.

On a final note, that DAMNED EAGLE has not moved all of summer! It's just floating there, staring us down with it's eagle eyes...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:40:48 am by Doomshifter »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2010, 07:30:37 am »

-9th of Limestone
The dwarven caravan has finally arrived, as well as the liaison! And my is the liaison a tough woman.
I've ordered our trade goods sent out, and I've decided to go out and greet the traders. After a little nap, of course.

-13th of Limestone
The miners came to me while I was trading. "Sir, we c'na dig no further! There's a hot rock!" they told me. I asked them why this should stop them; I'm no miner myself. "Magma, sir! I think we've found where the magma pipe is!" they told me excitedly! Excellent! I told them to try and find the top immediately.

-20th of Limestone
Fuck.
Crisis averted.
The miner searching for the magma found it alright. It nearly landed on her face. I'm glad she ran like hell. She tells me she put up a stone wall in the way quickly. Thank goodness.

-22nd of Limestone
The traders told me what they want.

-5th of Sandstone
I've finally become a legendary record keeper! All this record-keeping sure is good for the muscles! I feel pretty tough!

-8th of Sandstone
I've put a well inside, in the case that we ever need water! Hopefully we won't.

As the traders made their way out, a kobold is found.

They didn't take kindly to it. They took hammers to it instead.

-15th of Sandstone
Well is active. Went outside to peer at our friend the Giant Eagle. Still hasn't budged. Maybe it's... broken?

-18th of Sandstone
I've finally reached perfect precision with the stocks! I've taken up a crossbow and started my training.

-5th of Timber
Some migrants have made the journey to our fortress.
1 Hunter (with all her gear, no less!)
1 Woodcutter (with an axe!)
2 Peasants
1 Ambusher with more gear!
1 Metalsmith
1 Bowyer
1 Butcher

All very good migrants! They will all be put to work immediately.

-10th of Timber
Starting to set up the homes for my new migrants.

-21st of Timber
Trying to set up the basis for a metal industry. As per dwarven law, my leadership will be transferred to another next year. I hope for them only the best, so I will do my best to set this up.

-24th of Timber
I have gained enough skill at the crossbow to be called a marksdwarf. Most excellent!

-1st of Moonstone
Winter is upon us, and so is my final season as leader.
The stock rooms have remained relatively the same, except for the addition of a well, the discovering of the magma pipe and the addition of a few workshops.
The original bedrooms are the same as ever, except I have ordered a coffer for each bedroom. The bedrooms a level below are simple 2 by 3 affairs, nothing worth mentioning.
My tomb is complete. A magma smelter is partially complete, and the metalsmith is carrying his anvil towards the site of his new workshop.

Here is a view of our progress so far.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2010, 12:12:00 pm »

-9th of Moonstone
Metalworking has begun, and iron bars are being smelted as our miners follow hematite veins. Our iron bars will be immediately set to use in putting armour on dwarven backs!

-16th of Moonstone
Armed with my new iron cap (which our metalsmith tells us we can layer a helmet over later for greater defence), I decided to peer out at the eagle. That eagle hasn't moved. Still. It never eats. It never drinks. It never stops hovering in place. I think it's an omen. I think it's watching us. Telling us that everything will be okay, as long as we stay right here. As if to say, "Don't you dwarves come tearing up my neighbourhood!" I've learnt to fear and respect that Giant Eagle. Maybe one day we can capture it, and tame it, so that it may be our friend instead of a grim reminder of our mortality.

-22nd of Moonstone
Oh ponderous Eagle, share with me your secrets! Float down beside my ear and whisper to me the things you've seen! Why do you fly eternally in place? You watch with such great majesty, the likes I've never seen! It is... beautiful...

-26th of Moonstone
I have decided to stand down from the military temporarily so as to engrave and smooth more. Not that I'm putting down my weapons or armour, of course.

-1st of Opal
I've noticed that my fellow warriors aren't training as fast as I did. I've made myself squad leader and taken up my training once more to inspire them!

-14th of Opal
Finally I have been outfitted with the greatest of armour! Admittedly, it's only iron, but it's still the best we have. Let it be known that I, Ohgame Furgalleys, shall become a champion of the crossbow!

-1st of Obsidian
My final month looms in, heralded by the finding of the only gem cluster we've found since the start of the year.

In other news, the bedrooms are finally smoothed over completely! Most excellent news!

-11th of Obsidian
So far, Obsidian has been quiet. I have a feeling that when that term ends, I'll be staring at that eagle a whole lot more often. I only pray that it stays as a grim reminder, rather than fulfilling it's unspoken threats

-20th of Obsidian
Apparently the Woodcutter Shorast and the Mason/Carpenter Rovod have been in love for a while now! I guess I must have been too busy to see them smooching.

-25th of Obsidian
I have asked the metalsmith to train his skills by turning our various bars of iron into hammers and axes. A miner appears to be churning out the bars a mile a minute. Very good.

-1st of Granite, 202.
The new year is here. I finally step down from my position as ruler. Instead, I will keep to my training as a marksdwarf and spread the word of the Eagle. The majestic beast teaches us great things.

This year has settled our little outpost into the dirt. Hopefully the next ruler can show the world the might of the dwarves!

The forges have been completed.

My tomb has been completed.
I am happy and wealthy.
So is the fortress.

And with that, Diary, there is really not much more to say. My term is over. Time to go find some smart, strong individual to carry on in my footsteps! May the Giant Eagle watch over his or her progress as it has watched over mine!

----
I'll put the save up shortly. This year has been a blast.
THE SAVE

I have a personal request. I would like that eagle captured, if at all possible. Tamed would be even better. Who knows, another might come along. Baby giant eagles?

But, I would like that majestic beast placed in either Ohgame's room or his tomb.
And, I'd like to put myself down for another turn later. I have... unfinished business.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:17:44 pm by Doomshifter »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10