Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Consequence of siege survivors  (Read 880 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Consequence of siege survivors
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:57:54 pm »

I'm talking about enemy survivors. Last siege was a fleet of 47 goblins. All but one goblin died, a squad leader, because my dwarves decided to go back and drink while they were supposed to be cleaning up.

Well, I think that came to bite me in the ass, as I originally predicted. One season later, I have gotten another siege, this one is even bigger.

71 Goblins O____o
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
Re: Consequence of siege survivors
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:03:35 pm »

They tend to do that regardless.  My main problem I have with survivors is that civilian dorfs, dolts that they are, will panic and run back and forth at the sight of an unconscious bleeding goblin with no eyes and no arms.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:11:24 pm »

That won't be a problem. I have a large construction that serves as the sole path to my main fortress, and it's closed off by a bridge on one end, and a huge pathway on the other. Both sides are lined to the brim with traps. Once the gobs are softened up by the traps, I send my military in. That's how I won the last siege 47 against a measly 2.
Quest Complete! 41/31

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:16:56 pm »

They tend to do that regardless.  My main problem I have with survivors is that civilian dorfs, dolts that they are, will panic and run back and forth at the sight of an unconscious bleeding goblin with no eyes and no arms.

If it still has a mouth, it's still dangerous.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:30:36 am »

Too bad you can't cut out their mouths...
Sure, you can break their jaw or pull their teeth out (in the next version, when teeth are properly represented), but that's not nearly as fun.

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:02:19 am »

Goblins with broken jaws and pulled teeth become carp and gum you to death.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:09:22 am »

Oh god ;-; that's a scary image.

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 09:06:22 am »

If it still has a mouth, it's still dangerous.

That's why I adopt a 'no survivors' policy. Unfortunately, this last siege ended in somewhere between 15-25 gobs escaping, due to their sheer numbers. At the same time, I pissed off the elves because of their dislike for me chopping trees. I'm reformatting the trap layout and entrances to close off when the horde enters, while being large and long enough so the forces will be all the way inside before they hit the traps and can make an attempt to escape.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 09:34:39 am »

One of the main problems is that gobbos tend to attack in squads.  So after squads A, B, C, and D get wiped out, Squad E vacates without having ever engaged you.  You may never even be aware of that last, escaping squad, with the bigger sieges.  Your best bet is to use some type of isolation-only trap, which doesn't kill or imprison the gobs, like retracting bridge over a 1 z-level deep pit with spikes in.  Don't turn the spikes on until you're absolutely positive every last gob is in.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 09:55:49 am »

Trust me, I look over every last detail during an invasion, especially with this fortress. In my case, 1 squad attempted to break through the back door, and 4 through the front gate, led by a Hammer Lord. *Which looked awesome amidst the sea of white and black g's*. half of them ran into the fortress and experienced death of the Hammer Lord at the hands of the traps, and after about 2 dozen of them died, three of the four squads went into full retreat. The fourth still attempted to enter, and I had to wait for them to run off when they experienced casualties, since they were mostly marksdwarves. By then, most of the gobs were already out of the region, so I sent in the military and cleaned up.

It's worth noting that my imported wealth number skyrocketed from this visit.
Quest Complete! 41/31