Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24

Author Topic: X3 Terran Conflict  (Read 100346 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: X3 Terran Conflict
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2010, 09:30:52 am »

My universal traders got exploded D:

This game hates me.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2010, 10:07:17 am »

Yeah it happens often, keep armed escourts around to protect the traders, but sometimes they just crash into a gate or station due to crappy ai pathing. So meh, no guarantees. As to the missile thing, the turrets are limited to the side they are placed, I am not sure about the nova, I think it is up or rear? If you are talking about the concussion impluse generator I never use them, slap in an Alpha or beta impulse ray emitter and it should work ok, turrets are not perfect though.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2010, 01:13:56 pm »

Need some financial advice on what to do with my first hand made million (Hooray ST ;D!)

I've got a few ideas, but not sure how much i could make/lose with each over time.

1. gain 50k more credits, buy Mercury Tanker, upgrade my current Mercury to ST so i have 2 ST's.

or

2. buy a SPP and set it up in Empires edge.

Anyone got some advice for a 2 day old pilot?

I wouldn't recommend that last one.  SPPs are EXPENSIVE to not only build but to maintain(crystals).  If you're going to make one I'd wait til  you can make an XL SPP.

As for traders I prefer faster TSes.  Tankers can hold a lot but are pretty slow and often get beat to the places they're going to or left with an abundance of materials they can't sell.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2010, 02:10:26 pm »

Yeah, my SPPs are pretty well dead. The E-Cells sell at only 1 credit profit each (14cr) for me, and due to me being in a certain crystal-demanding mission, my ships are currently draining the crystal market for all it's worth. :P

Even beyond that, they're not terribly profitable for their cost.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2010, 02:19:31 pm »

I just decided to start x3 again. I haven't got TC, but I've got the latest Reunion patch, and while I had a massive business, it was getting too easy.

Anyway, I do the opening missions, then decide to get to Paranid space to improve my rep with them, as they have some of my favourite ships.

Ran into a Cluster about halfway, in Ore Belt, and had some fun trying to kill them in my piece-of-shit Buster. I got most of them, then the bloody ARGON ONE (I know, right?) came out of fucking nowhere.

DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO DOG FIGHT WHEN THERE'S A SODDING CAP SHIP FIRING MOST OF IT'S GUNS AT THE GUY YOU'RE CHASING?

Very hard, but some of the most fun I'd had in a while.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2010, 03:29:23 pm »

I just decided to start x3 again. I haven't got TC, but I've got the latest Reunion patch, and while I had a massive business, it was getting too easy.

Anyway, I do the opening missions, then decide to get to Paranid space to improve my rep with them, as they have some of my favourite ships.

Ran into a Cluster about halfway, in Ore Belt, and had some fun trying to kill them in my piece-of-shit Buster. I got most of them, then the bloody ARGON ONE (I know, right?) came out of fucking nowhere.

DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO DOG FIGHT WHEN THERE'S A SODDING CAP SHIP FIRING MOST OF IT'S GUNS AT THE GUY YOU'RE CHASING?

Very hard, but some of the most fun I'd had in a while.

Well at least you're heaving fun with your fighter.

What happened that far with my freshly bought Buster:
-Destoryed by a Capital ship while it was trying to shoot down a pirate
-Shot down by pirates
-Shot down by more pirates
-Crashed due to pathfinding

Any suggestions for useful stuff I could do with him, while my mercurys are trading?
And where I could find pirates which aren't flying around in groups?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2010, 03:53:11 pm »

Need some financial advice on what to do with my first hand made million (Hooray ST ;D!)

I've got a few ideas, but not sure how much i could make/lose with each over time.

1. gain 50k more credits, buy Mercury Tanker, upgrade my current Mercury to ST so i have 2 ST's.

or

2. buy a SPP and set it up in Empires edge.

Anyone got some advice for a 2 day old pilot?

I wouldn't recommend that last one.  SPPs are EXPENSIVE to not only build but to maintain(crystals).  If you're going to make one I'd wait til  you can make an XL SPP.

As for traders I prefer faster TSes.  Tankers can hold a lot but are pretty slow and often get beat to the places they're going to or left with an abundance of materials they can't sell.

Thanks for the advice, I still went for the Tanker, got another Mercury as well got one UT and one ST and making about 1 mil every session, bit more credits and I'm either buying a third mercury, or buying some fighters for missions.

If someones just starting out, and you want an ST real fast i got mine in a few hours here's how !!WARNING!! this can give ye a bit of an unfair start:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2010, 08:40:03 pm »

Anyone know a safeish location where my traders won't get exploded by constant pirate and xenon incursions?

Atm i'm thinking of dropping them in Terran space for awhile :\

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2010, 09:35:35 pm »

Anyone know a safeish location where my traders won't get exploded by constant pirate and xenon incursions?

Atm i'm thinking of dropping them in Terran space for awhile :\

I personally don't have any problem keeping them around Argon One. So far I've got about 5 UT (With a trading mod http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=222408). If you've got some spare cash laying around I'd suggest equipping your traders with jumpdrives. Once they get skilled enough to use them it greatly increases their profit and survivability.

Don't neglect shields either! An Argon Mercury can equip 3 25MJ shields which can keep them alive long enough to let them either jump out of the sector or wait for back-up to come.

On a trading note: Does anyone have a favorite TL they'd like to reccomend? I'm looking to get one as the new Flagship of my trading fleet. I was looking at the Hercules since it's purty and has decent shields along with the ability to dock 9 ships.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2010, 10:48:42 pm »

Holy jesus that looks like a complicated mod DX

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2010, 11:45:38 pm »

Where is the home of light and a good place to buy energy cells at from the starting sector you start in as an argon hauler?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2010, 11:59:23 pm »

Where is the home of light and a good place to buy energy cells at from the starting sector you start in as an argon hauler?

I don't know off hand but IIRC that start gives you a Discoverer, just hop in that and buzz around exploring...

In other news, the AresCorp Weed complex is currently under construction and will be done soon! Found out Gunnes Crusade has some very nice asteroids so just went on http://www.altanetworks.com/x3/x3tcocc.html , planned out a complex and started building, all I need right now is to finish up the food factories and once I get some more money throw on a spacefuel distillery+ Wheatfarm and she'll be pretty much done.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2010, 12:25:30 am »

On a trading note: Does anyone have a favorite TL they'd like to reccomend? I'm looking to get one as the new Flagship of my trading fleet. I was looking at the Hercules since it's purty and has decent shields along with the ability to dock 9 ships.

My favorite TL is the Orca, it isn't the best in anything except being hit and crashing in Stations/Shipyard/gate due to it's size. However, it's second in almost every other aspect (at least it was in Reunion): best speed and hangar capacity after the split, best cargo after argon, best shielding after paranid/teladi and can mount some FAA (can't remember if other TLs can).

The hercules is close to the orca in most aspects. Its much smaller size probably make it a much better choice if you plan to use it IS. Personnally, the only times I am in the same sector than my TL is when building stations, which limits the risks related to having a planetoid as a TL.

I'm not sure which start you are talking about. I assume it's the Humble Merchant one since, IIRC, it's the only argon start in which you get a freighter. The HM starts you in Herron's Nebula with a mercury and discoverer. If that's where you started, then Home of Light is 2 sector to the south and for energy, there's at least 3 sectors within 2 jumps that have SPPs so finding some shouldn't be a problem.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2010, 12:31:02 am »

Any perks to doing Corporation missions? The cash is pretty low and they're all pretty random missions.

Also, is it possible to use a TL as a UT? I can't figure out what I'm going to do with my TL once I'm done using it to set up stations.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2010, 12:50:44 am »

Not sure about corporation missions, but I think it is possible to buy OTAS ships if you have enough reputation with them.

I don't think TL can be used as UT, but I wouldn't worry too much. Unless you've got complexes producing weapons, missiles, shields and pretty much everything else, you'll eventually want to build more stations. Even if you are done with stations building for a long time, you can use the TL for storage, completing missions requiring huge amount of resources or doing station building missions.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24