Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: X3 Terran Conflict  (Read 100326 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X3 Terran Conflict
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 03:37:32 pm »

Always found the concept of this game fascinating.
I'll probably get it after my school leaving examination, since I can imageine its addictive nature and don't want it to interfere.

Another great space game was Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, but it alsways crashes at the mission next to the last -.-
Too bad I can't finish it...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 04:18:04 pm »

DO YOU BELIEVE?
I DO

It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 05:10:51 pm »

DO YOU BELIEVE?
I DO

Hahahaha awesome. Do you have the link to the mod?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 07:12:35 pm »

I had this game, it was ridiculous when it was first released. Oh... lets put 35 million fully textured polygons on screen with dynamic lighting and volumetric fog effects, in some sectors you were lucky to get 2 frames per second even with top tier hardware.

Edit: I was actually thinking of X3 reunion, rather than the later Terran Conflict.

I don't have that problem, except in PTNI Headquarters, as far as I can tell.

DO YOU BELIEVE?
I DO

Hahahaha awesome. Do you have the link to the mod?

That's not a mod. You can find those flying around randomly.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 08:21:23 pm »

Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 09:19:06 pm »

x3: reunion in one of the asteroid sectors, there was huge lag. IIRC they eventually patched it enough to be playable. I had the second best video card available at the time (that was right when ATI first came out with the video cards with separate power cables).

Hmm, I saw x4 in the store last week. I may just have to test out my new rig with it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 10:32:28 pm »

The pic I posted is a Precursor (The Old Ones) ship, which is the race that ruled the galaxy long ago and then vanished, and all that. The Goners take them as gods or something. The ships carry their VIPs/council members, something like that.
Also, it's the race that came to Earth to visit us many times, in our present and past years. (our flying saucers' pics in the web)
I don't believe you can cap it, it flies ridiculously fast and does not answer to comms.

x3: reunion in one of the asteroid sectors, there was huge lag. IIRC they eventually patched it enough to be playable. I had the second best video card available at the time (that was right when ATI first came out with the video cards with separate power cables).

Yeah, X³ Reunion "2.0" was really better.
I think I'll get x³:tc back and patch it, because they always fix a lot of perfomance issues.
X³:Reunion ran smooth here, pretty good. But X³:TC had some lags and looong loading times between sectors. They both use the same engine, so the perfomance shouldn't be all that bad.

BTW Solar Sistems' sectors rock.
I love the way Earth people changed their behavior after almost being anihilated by their own creations.
It's not hard to notice that Earth is the most aware, military and aggressive race in the game.
Also it's crazy as how the Argonians deleted Earth from it's database, so people thought that the Human race had begun on Argon and Earth was just a myth.

I may be making some mistakes because it's been a while since reading something about X, or playing it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:34:20 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 12:08:39 am »

[/url]
Qs...trying to chase after me of course.
*shudder*
Your UT has been destroyed by Xenon Q in sector Ocean of Fantasy.
Your UT has been destroyed by Xenon Q in sector Ocean of Fantasy.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 12:21:13 am »

Played X2. Only game I know of with a more obtuse interface than DF.

Gameplay was clunky.
Combat was iffy.
"Auto" stuff was somewhat stupid and limited.
Large fleets were unwieldy.
If you owned more than a handful of ships, they were a PITA to manage because of the interface and limitations on the orders you could give.

But the dynamic economy stuff was really cool!

I made a custom universe for it. Stock races. Each race Had a couple of sectors all linked by gates together that formed a backbone economy. Each race had a frontal sector that was military oriented which linked to the hub sector. The hub sector was the only way to get into the other race's space. All races were at war with each other and constantly pumping out fleets into a 24/7 FS2 scale battle. Only way to win was to survive the gauntlet and get way back into their economic sectors to blow up their economy.

Then the game was actually fun.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 12:48:04 am »

Aw.

When I get to play X³:TC I'm sure I'll blow up the Splits in the "end game" (if it really exists).
They never do anything good and are always angry and throwing s* at everyone.

In X² I got shockwave guns and blowed up many of their stations, but didn't want to cheat or build up to get a hueg ship and fleet to attack their core sectors.

I was pretty good in combat, only thing that got me easily was the missile rain that normally stormed me.
Also I never 'used' a wingman..

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 07:48:59 am »

Flying carriers packed with fighters is very fun. My current fleet can roll out 300+ mamba intersceptors, and has 4 carriers, 2 battleships, 10 heavy cruisers, 15 destroyers. Needless to say, if the fleet gathers in one location..lag city even on my newish gaming rig. Combat in more than one sector also lags me out a bit, almost to the point where I have to either start fresh or blow up most of my crap lol.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 12:46:12 pm »

Bah, screw school.
This whole talking does make me want to play this game.

Can I simply skip X2 and start with X3, since it's ought to have a more userfriendly interface and controls?
Or will I miss out crucial details of the story?

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 01:03:00 pm »

I only have X3 TC and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Currently I'm doing the wonderful
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My most frustrating moment was around family Zyarth.
I had a xenon N bail on me(Something I hadn't ever seen happen before), so I went and claimed it, repaired it and sent it to a station to be picked up later.  I jump out of the sector just as a q jumps in.  At that time I didn't have any decent capital type ship destroyers(Have some m7ms now loaded with torpedos and flails, it would have been so easy to defend it now...).  I spent the next 10 minutes watching my N try to make it to the nearest station and eventually get overrun and destroyed.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 01:13:21 pm »

I love games like this.
However, on the rolling demo, nothing shows up.
So Imma have to upgrade.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 01:26:17 pm »

Bah, screw school.
This whole talking does make me want to play this game.

Can I simply skip X2 and start with X3, since it's ought to have a more userfriendly interface and controls?
Or will I miss out crucial details of the story?

Starting with x3 should be fine. X3's main character is the son of the the one from x2, so you wont be missing any of your story. Only background events.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24