Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: X3 Terran Conflict  (Read 100305 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
X3 Terran Conflict
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:54:58 pm »

Dwarrrveeesss Innnnnn Spaaaaaaaaacccceeeeee

So anyways I bought this during the steam sale, had Reunion and loved it and had wanted this but haven't had the computer or the cash. 

Loving it so far, but of course I love games like this that offer as much freedom as it does.  Has a bit of a learning curve but once over it you can play for hours nonstop... the first day I got it finally downloaded I played like 12 hours without a break.  :P

Website

An awesome DiD (Dead is Dead, basically a lets play but with rules on how you play like no exploiting Nvidium and no reloading an earlier save if you die)

Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: X3 Terran Conflict
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:06:23 pm »

hell of a game. I wasted too much time on it, my wife hates it!
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:09:30 pm »

This game is GREAT, I played X² and found awesome, X³ Reunion played the hell out of it, tried to get inside the (if you already played REUNION, no prob):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and got obliterated everytime.

Then I installed X³:TC and said WTF I CAN HAS FLEETZ but my computer has only 1gb RAM, so it sucks a lot.
The transition between sectors is like 3~5 loading minutes. No way.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:38:42 pm »

I greatly enjoyed this game. Though i would have appreciated some more work on space stations and their construction. It was a pain to set things up properly

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 09:27:07 pm »

Er, what exactly *is* this? ._.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 10:17:20 pm »

A very large, open-ended space sim.  I played X2 but quit when I realized I was spending several hours a day ferrying cargo around.
Shoes...

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 12:20:31 am »

A very large, open-ended space sim.  I played X2 but quit when I realized I was spending several hours a day ferrying cargo around.

Ahh, that's where your auto traders come in though! You just set the route and they trade for you!
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 12:52:02 am »

I didn't have enough money for autotraders.  I was trading to get enough money for a fighter so I could go do something fun.
Shoes...

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 01:20:43 am »

Ahhh got X3:TC during a sale a few months back, it's a blast.

Or it can be a blast. I had to mod it to get my fun out of it. The community has done some really nice things with that game (3D cockpits for almost all ships for example) that add a lot of immersion and fun. Being able to spawn an entire fleet in just a few clicks was also extremely nice if you just want to get into a battle or feel like a commander with out spending a few hundred hours getting built up.

Hopefully they add a co-op mode on at some point or even TvT multiplayer. I wouldn't mind running a few trade routes or scouting the far reaches of space for hours on end with some friends.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 05:39:49 am »

It would be awesome. Currently I play Freelancer for that (online ~200 is good enough for immersion), but X3 would be much cooler.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 05:50:12 am »

Oh, I love this game. The Terran ships rock, so hard. Their main fighter cannons, the Electromagnetic Plasma cannon things... oh man. And their ships are so fast, too. Love them long time.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 06:21:03 am »

I don't have X3:TC, but I do have X3:R with the XTC mod, which is nearly as good. Man is it one good game! :)
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 06:24:19 am »

TC has claimed me as well. Still deep in it. It's been 12 days ingame and probably going to end up far more than that.
I still have 3.2 plots left to finish! On top of that, I also have X2 and X3 to play through, bought them for Christmas on sale. :P

I do agree, the Terran ships are really nice, not only in stats but aesthetically as well. Texturally, they're far better than the older ships.
But I'm Argon all the way!

Freelancer is another gem, yeah. I played that one through at least twice. Sadly lacking the true freeform play that the X-series brought in with TC. Although I'm sure there are mods that fixed that... I never really looked too deep into Freelancer's modding community.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 02:44:22 pm »

I had this game, it was ridiculous when it was first released. Oh... lets put 35 million fully textured polygons on screen with dynamic lighting and volumetric fog effects, in some sectors you were lucky to get 2 frames per second even with top tier hardware.

Edit: I was actually thinking of X3 reunion, rather than the later Terran Conflict.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:33:25 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 03:15:59 pm »

About building: To get better results you'd want to check the controls on the Sector Map thing, and build a Advanced Satellite (I think it's that one).
Then you press the button on sector map to activate the Sats' 3D camera (don't remember what key), and can easily move around, spin and rotate your station easily...this is mandatory for building complexes, but I believe any "experienced" player knows this..

I personally find this game awesome. I saw my uncle playing X² years ago, then I searched it for months so I could buy it but never found. I had to download a torrent, and my internet sucked by that time. I think it was in 2007..
Then I got X³: Reunion and got crazy with all the improvements, awesome graphics and nice plotline (I liked X "lore" and plot, gotta love space..)

What I most love about it, is the fact that if you put a sattelite in each sector, you can monitor the whole "X universe". Even if you are in a sector, you can know what's happening in another one. It's too good.

Also the "ShockWave Weapons" (for their name) are AWESOME to destroy pirate bases.
If you get a ship able to carry 2 or 3 of them, you can fire at the base's launch deck and every ship that comes out of it is destroyed in seconds.
Your fps drops to 10 or lower, but it's the price to pay to see all those guys that love to destroy your freighters die.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24