Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25

Author Topic: God Game  (Read 28111 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: God Game
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2010, 05:48:31 pm »

Greenleaf then descends to the world. In view of all it's chaos, he becomes sad and two divine teardrops fall from his eyes. The first tear drop lands onto the rocky earth and from it spouts forth the wise and powerful dragons. The other lands in the fertile soil of the forest, and from it grows the giant redwoods, the king of all trees. Greenleaf sends the dragons out to protect balance of the world, and claims the redwood forest as his sanctuary and home.

Greenleaf creates a forest of giant redwoods, and a race of dragons to bring balance to the world.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2010, 06:00:48 pm »

Haika, was this on my continent or the unprotected one? I assume mine.
Anyway, all of us but hillaburra are out of acts.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2010, 11:31:47 pm »

Nah, I'd prefer someone else, a new area for my forest, and I assume the dragons will go wherever they suit.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2010, 11:33:53 pm »

I assume the dragons will go wherever they suit.

unless I corrupt their minds and cause them to eat eachother
I assume so too.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2010, 03:17:36 am »

And Beanchubbs descends to the dwarven miner caste, which has now grown twelve strong. And the dwarves recognize him as a god, and heed his word. Hearing the use of their skins and bone and meat, the miners decide to end their long exile to procure themselves som cats. They begin the work of unsealing passages that were long ago sealed in their selfimposed exile.

And 100killer9 increases the power of cats. Their psychic bond is strengthened, giving them complete power over their dwarf, should they decide to use it. So powerful is the bond, that should it be broken, the dwarf goes insane, becoming violent and uncaring of its own life.

And lo, another deity appear to the miners clan. And he advises them to dig down, to avoid the mental predation of the cats. The dwarves huddle, and discuss. And find it hard to come to an agreement. In the end, a compromise of sorts is reached. Two foolhardy children, brother and sister, will continue to dig up, to assess the threat of the cats, while the rest will dig down, seeking the medicine.

The main dwarven force begin their long dig. Meanwhile the two siblings break out onto the surface. For the first time, they see the sun, and the endless expanse of the sky stretching above them, no ceiling keeping them from falling into the sky. Suffering vertigo, the two clutch the ground, and vomit helplessly. However, time passes, and they become, if not comfortable, then accustomed to the endless sky above. Still, as they move out, they sprint from tree to tree, clutching them for a while, in case gravity should suddenly decide to give out. Still, nothing happens, and the two bravos begin to explore in earnest. Finally they stumble across one of the peasants, gathering herbs accompanied by his cat.

The two have the word of god on their side. Those adopted by cats are weak and unworthy of respect. They catch the cat, and beat the peasant silly when he tries to intervene, then venture back towards their tunnel. The cat, already bonded to the peasant, has no power over them, its trumpf card, the peasant, lying bleeding on the ground far behind.

The other surface dwarves find the peasant, and question him. However, in the midst of questioning, his bond is cut, and he goes mad, attacking the dwarves around him. He has to be put down by the steel blades of the patriarch and matriarch of the axedwarves. And the dwarves, and cats, vow revenge over the dark dwarves lurking under their feet.

Deep in the dwarven hold, the two siblings present the father of all dark dwarves with a catskin hat, and the mother of all dark dwarves with a pair of crude cat bone earrings. Though their expedition was a successful one, the father and mother forbid any more expeditions to the surface, until they reach the Naga and the medicin.

And on the Continent of Despair, a forest of giant redwoods grow. These mighty plants are the largest organisms of all, and even the elephants fear them, keeping out of their shadow. This despite the fact, that the redwoods are one of the few things on the continent that doesn't eat anything that comes near. Smaller plants take advantage of the relatively safe surroundings, and carnivorous flowers and vines come to fill the forest.

And Greenleaf creates the dragons, as large as elephants and as peaceful as redwoods. And Greenleaf sets the dragons the task of bringing balance to the world. The dragons take one look, and then retire to the redwood forest to think. Before they can bring balance, they need to decide what would constitute balance in this chaotic world.

ACTs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Geb spend an ACT to inform the dwarves that the booze will save them. He spend an ACT to inform the Naga that they should trade with the dwarves. No ACT has been spend to ensure that the booze actually does what was advertised.

Rubberduck, mind if I copy this (literally) and start a game on the Minecraft forums?
Nope. The original rules weren't made by me in the first place, so anyone is free to copy them and start their own game.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:58:14 am by rubberduck »

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2010, 03:32:40 am »

Quote from: rubberduck
Geb spend an ACT to inform the dwarves that the booze will save them. He spend an ACT to inform the Naga that they should trade with the dwarves. No ACT has been spend to ensure that the booze actually does what was advertised.

Ah...
Guessing what my next Act will be won't be very difficult then.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2010, 06:53:33 am »

100killer9 gives cats the ability to fly indefinetly, even holding a dwarf while they do so too. They never need to land to do anything. They do it by hovering magically.
100killer9 gives cats the ability to fly in midair.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:20:13 am by 100killer9 »

hillburra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2010, 06:17:27 pm »

Hillburra notices the dragons perched on the giant redwoods and sees great promise in such a creature. They can fly to food, the most effortless form of travel, and when they get there they can even cook it themselves. Hillburra lets out a huge godly sigh of disappointment that He did not create such wondrous beasts.

Hillburra feeling covetous decides to make the dragons his own, he moulds them from the peaceful creatures they were intended to be into giant flying food vacuums. This is done by greatly expanding the mouths of the dragons, giving them many different types of teeth so that they may eat all foods and by rapidly increasing their metabolism so that they desire more food all the time.

The new dragons are able to eat anything on the face of the planet excluding elephants and the trunks of the redwoods they inhabit, it is a beautiful sight, unless you live on the face of the planet - then it's rather terrifying.

Hillburra twists the form of dragons to turn them into the ultimate eating machines.
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2010, 08:11:35 pm »

H! Cats don't need to live on the face of the planet, and can survive indefinitely off it! They are safe!
Yeah, just me being literal.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2010, 09:32:05 pm »

Beanchubbs looks at his dwarves and sees the dispute, and most likely violence, that will inevitably come. Having already taken a liking to the miners, he descends from his Godly perch once again, to bless his miners. He hardens their minds, to be resistant to the cats. He warns them that their above-ground brethren have taken to worshipping the cats, and they are not to be trusted. He tells them the weakness of their brethren. The cats. Through the cats, their mind is connected, and through this bond, they can be can be controlled.

Beanchubbs grants the miners immunity to cats.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:01:32 pm by Beanchubbs »
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2010, 10:06:46 pm »

That was two acts.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2010, 11:00:37 pm »

Oops, didn't really think about that sorry, I'll edit it.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2010, 02:52:26 am »

Watching  the events on the surface with dismay, Geb concludes that his plans must be altered. He summons his priestess so that she can deliver further instructions to the Naga.

As she arrives, the great lizard god speaks "The world above grows more dangerous, the monsters in it are now greater or more powerfully evil. Your people will need much protection to visit the surface. The protective magics of these waters can be taken with you if they are prepared in the right way and then drunk. I will teach you to do this. Use the powers of the cave wherever they are needed. It will defend against other magic, maybe even against gods, if they do not notice you. Dig, defend yourselves with care, and if the dwarves come calling for beer, try to get a good price for it."

Geb teaches the Naga how to absorb the water magic to use anywhere they go.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2010, 07:29:08 am »

And cats gain the magical ability to fly. Rather than walking alongside their dwarven protectors, they now take to sitting on their shoulders, swooping off whenever they spot something interesting. Which isn't often, in the lifeless forests of the Continent of Protection. The cats are ambivalent concerning the dispute between the two dwarf societies. On one hand the dark dwarves should be taught a lesson, not to mess with cats. On the other hand, they might lose hosts in the coming battle. However, they do have axes, the two original steel axes granted by their creator Beanchubbs, and held as the badge of office by the matriarch and patriarch of the axedwarves, and a scattering of crude flint axes made in their image. The cats decide to let the war proceed.

And Hillburra seizes the dragons for his own, and corrupts them. And the elephants come to share the position as apex predator, as dragons swoop from the sky, breathing fire and ripping with their gigantic jaws. The remolding of the dragons has reduced their mental capacity, and the once wise creatures are now only marginally smarter than most beasts, ruled by their hunger. The elephants and dragons together, start to make inroad into the plant and animal populations, leaving swathes of destruction behind them. The dragons still nest in the redwood forest, and for 50 miles around, there is only dead wasteland, anything living consumed or burned to ashes. Even the soil has blown away on the wind, leaving bare rock. The redwoods themselves are scorched in many places, and no life lives under their shadow any longer.

And Beanchubbs hardens the dark dwarves' minds, and warns them again of the cats. With all these warnings, the matriarch and patriarch of the dark dwarves come to a conclusion. The cats must die. If any dwarf stands in their way, that dwarf has been tainted, and must die too. The dwarves redouble their digging towards the Naga.

And Geb once again calls on his priestess Silrazth. And he places upon the Naga a further gift of water magic. The Naga immediately begin to brew more kelp beer, and getting suitably tipsy, continue the work on their tunnel. Soon they break into the ocean. And a Naga gets ripped up and eaten by a whale. The Naga retreat and replan.

However, the dwarves have also been busy. Taking the directions from Geb, they have been digging deep and long. Only the lack of need for food, drink and sleep has made the project possible. Hundreds of mile of tunnel. And they manage to connect to the Naga tunnel. Immediately the dwarven tunnel floods. Though the dwarves do not need to breath either, they get swept away by the water, hammered against rocks, bones splitting and skulls breaking. Once the chaos subsides, it is found that three dwarves are dead, and half the remaining clan injured. The dark dwarves immediately suspect foul play, and two dwarves are placed in front with the two steel picks, gifted the clan by their creator Beanchubbs.

Naga, having felt the disturbance, come down from the tunnel from the other direction. The two groups meet, and for a moment there is a tense standoff. Then the Naga try to communicate. This turns out to be difficult, since they do not share a common language. But the Naga share some of the kelp beer they have brought with them, for keeping themselves suitably tipsy for digging work. The dwarves like the beer. And with crude pantomimes demand more. The Naga motions for the dwarves to follow. The matriarch and patriarch considers for a moment, then orders a group of their children, including the pick wielders, to follow the Naga, but keep alert.

The trip back to the Islands of Discomfort are uneventful, though the dwarves are having a bit of difficulty moving around underwater. The group comes to the dwellings of the Naga, and the kelp beer wagon, and are greeted by Silrazth and the other Naga, happy to finally meet these dwarves their deity have talked to them about.

The dwarves take a look around. All the beer bottles. The wagon. The kelp beer stills. The Naga might outnumber them, three to two, but they look weak and complacent. Edzul, the dwarf that killed a cat alongside his sister, takes a decision. Shouting orders to his fellow dwarves, he attacks, making a swing at Silrazth, aimed at her heart.

ACTs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2010, 08:55:42 am »

Geb floats, filled with fury as he watches the attack begin. Treachery from the dwarves was always a possibility, but bloody battle within the sacred cavern of The Islands of Discomfort is not to be permitted.

Geb does nothing immediately, waiting until the very last instant to find out whether the naga can obey his order to defend themselves, but standing ready to compact the miner's picks into immobile blank spheres of metal should the snakemen fail to act.

Geb prepares to save the naga from harm if they do not save themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25