Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25

Author Topic: God Game  (Read 28208 times)

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
Re: God Game
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2010, 06:38:08 am »

It's still a bit ambiguous how the water magic works near the surface. Do they have enough power to make water lift clear of the main body? To form shapes of water in air? The question never really came up in the deeps.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2010, 06:41:00 am »

100killer9 saw his solution as too much of a burden. So, he decided that he would make every surface dwarf permanently forget Beanchubb's existance, other than remembering his technology. They would start believing that 100killer9 was their creator. They would know that the apparation was 100killer9. He put all this into their heads. Afterwards, he announced through the crystal, "You can stop controlling 'them' like that if you want to. They worship me freely."
100killer9 makes surface dwarves believe that 100killer9 (not beanchubbs) is their creator).
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2010, 07:34:49 am »

It's still a bit ambiguous how the water magic works near the surface. Do they have enough power to make water lift clear of the main body? To form shapes of water in air? The question never really came up in the deeps.
There is a question of power and precision. Good old booze magic can manipulate the water very precisely, but it would have difficulty in summoning the power to actually pull water out of the water. Elemental magic can do that, as the elves has shown, but (at least at the current stage of development) it isn't precise enough for carving. And it does require more energy, and thus more blood, than simply messing around in the water.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2010, 07:59:47 am »

It sounds like they should be able to figure out some way to use blood magic to make hauling rocks around a bit easier then. Bleeding is a fine motivator to do it efficiently.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2010, 09:39:47 am »

Right. The trading post is just a collection of channels and ponds, "for now". The naga are working on a solution. But it's not just hauling rocks you know. That part is easy. It's putting those rocks together in a wall shape, which doesn't collapse when pushed, which is the problem.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2010, 11:09:47 am »

Beanchubbs sees the Naga's inability to make strong constuctions and walls like his dwarves. Seeing as the Naga have really only offered hospitality and booze to his dwarves in their history, he decides to help them. He tells the Order of Axes to go and help them build walls, and possibly establish an alliance, if possible.

Beanchubbs sends assistance in building walls to the Naga.

Also, could we get a map of the world so far? I have a general image in my mind, but I'm not entirely sure if it's what everyone else is imaging, and that could possibly complicate things a little. I think a standard map of the earth could help.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2010, 11:12:58 am »

If anyone draws it, the crystal is pinkish, like... Pink crystal.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2010, 11:17:29 am »

I had been considering trying to make a stylised map. My art skills aren't up to much, but I'll give it a go.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2010, 12:59:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's how I think the area everything looks so far. I'm not sure where exactly 100killer9's spire is, so I just put it near the naga, seeing as they trade, which most likely means they are pretty close by. Also, I think the elf tribes are spread out more, I just put a general area for them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:18:10 pm by Beanchubbs »
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2010, 01:30:36 pm »

Actually, the spire comes put of the ocean. And we're not on the continent of protection. The continent of protection was abandoned after the quake, and the continent of despair was inhabited.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2010, 01:32:42 pm »

I know we're not on the continent of protection. I have that blob in between the mountains as it. everything else outside the blob is the continent of despair.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2010, 11:29:11 pm »

Well, this is my temporary map of the world, which I use for myself to try and keep things straight. Though it is getting crowded.

This is by no means an accurate map, but more or less just shows where the various races live in relation to each other. The elves are spread out over the entirety of the Continent of Despair lowlands, while the orcs occupy the highlands everywhere on the continent but the dwarven mountains.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 23, 2010, 11:52:34 pm »

Ok, thanks. I had it flipped and inverted. Kind of. Thanks again.

hillburra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2010, 02:07:40 am »

Hillburra finally awakes from his lengthy slumber and looks down at the world. All is well! Food abounds and most things appear to be convenient. More can be done though, there is always more.

Hillburra sees the Hamoa bushes and gives them an improvement...... legs. The newly mobile Hamoa bushes gather together in swarms and then once the herd has finished it's spawning season all the new bushes depart in groups of 5 and hunt down sentient creatures. Once they find these creatures such as dwarves, cats, naga, orcs and whatnot they proceed to shadow their chosen master everywhere they go providing a steady stream of crystal berries to munch on.

Hillburra grants mobility to the Hamoa bushes.
Hillburra makes the Hamoa bushes follow any creature intelligent enough to not instantly gobble them up.
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2010, 10:23:18 am »

And 100killer9 twists the minds of the spire dwarves. The cats, heeding their gods word, releases the dwarves from their mind bondage, though they freely continue to use their powers whenever the dwarves are doing something the cats do not like. Progress on the tower continues. In a short time, dwarves begin to pray to 100killer9 to release them from the bondage of the cats.

And so the Order of the Axe ventures out. Or rather, half the order. The other half remains in case anything should show up closer to the mountain homes. The journey is a long and dangerous one, through hostile elven territory, past elephants and oak trees and owl bears. However, clad in beanite armor and armed with axes and crossbows, the dwarves manages to make the trip, showing up at the naga's trading post. This far south the dwarves are only a rumor, but they have already antagonized the seafaring elves by firing on the first elven patrol they saw. The elves are keeping out of sight, and has warned the naga of the approaching dwarves. The naga, however, is a race steeped in diplomacy and trade. Though they prepare to unleash the water upon the dwarves, should it be necesary, the trade representative decides that they will not attack, unless they themselves are attacked, and even then, only in defense.

As the dwarves come out of the trees, the trade representative greets them in the pidgin that was used between the naga and spire dwarves. She is surprised when the dwarven leader reply in the naga tongue, professing not to understand the pidgin. From there on, the talks are in the naga tongue, as the leader tells that they are there to aid the naga with their wall building.

The leader, Melbil, is one of the original six, who fought with the naga so long ago. Any other of the six might have balked at cooperating with the naga, but her faith is strong, and she has received this mission from Beanchubbs himself. Any past animosity is forgotten, and she has made sure that all under her command would think in the same way. And thus she talks with the trade representative.

In the end, the meeting brings lots of things. The dwarves begin teaching the naga how to work in stone, providing the tools necessary, and soon walls begin to spring up in the trading post. The naga on the other hand negotiate between the seafaring elves and the dwarves, and the dwarves come to recognize that the seafaring elves are not associated with the elves to the north. Soon a few of the order travel north on an elven boat, and brings word back to the mountain homes. A fort is constructed near the sea, from which the dwarves trade with the elven and naga merchants brought by elven boats. There are still some dwarves who see all elves as evil, but violence is mostly left to the battlefields between the mountains and forests below. Edzul is even investigating in the possibility of hiring elven auxiliaries, in exchange for good beanite equipment. The northern elves are largely unaware of these events.

The southern elves are also unaware, but have other things to worry about. A large band of warriors are head out, accompanied by elemental mages of the south. These mages are not as accomplished as those of the north, as they have not been hardened by war against the dwarves. The warband find the aberration and a desperate fight ensues. No matter what they elves fling at the monstrosity, it simply seems to absorb it. Most of the warband die, and the survivors bring back word of the beast now know as Ushangdum Noshtath, or the Monstrous Mouths of Devouring.

The Hamoa bushes begin to seek out intelligent creatures, which are mostly elves as they are who live along the coasts, creating an upsurge in goring related deaths, as animals begin seeking out the elven settlements to get their crystal fix. The elves up their security, and soon the animals wander off to eat each other instead. Though a few dark dwarves have been adopted by plants, they still import plenty of the fruits as a luxury good from the seafaring elves.

ACTs
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25