Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25

Author Topic: God Game  (Read 28151 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: God Game
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2010, 05:24:54 pm »

100killer9 decides that his people did not know of him. So, he decided to become a bigger part of their lives. He flew down into the crystal. Soon, a large human torso grew out of the crystal. It was 100killer9. He had moved into the crystal, with his soul inside. It could tak any form he wished, and he could move around within the crystal, retracting his form into it. The crystal was his form.
Anyway, this torso burst out of the crystal, with some cats and dwarves nearby. They asked him what he was.
"I am 100killer9. Your true god, and the best god. I have come to guide you. Spread the message, as it is a glorious day. Tell all the cats, surface dwarves, and naga that I am here. The cats and dwarves shall worship me from now on. Simply pray, and spread my holy form — the crystal — in glorious and awe-inspiring ways. The guard naga may convert if they wish. Let all know of my coming."
100killer9 joins with the crystal, and cats learn of this.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:
…
Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2010, 05:50:01 pm »

I'm thinking a disembodied torso with a mouth in the center floating around.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2010, 05:55:12 pm »

I meant to say a human one with an attatched human head… A disembodied torso sounds more like beanchubbs thing.
…

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2010, 02:42:39 am »

Dismayed by the sudden changes in the balance of life, Geb sets aside his plans and hurriedly attempts to repair some of the damage. With food appearing everywhere, soon the entire planet will be covered in nothing but life, stacked thousands deep and all still eating. Only the largest and most dangerous of creatures need to be pacified in this manner.

Geb removes the ability to summon food from all plants, all intelligent races, and all other life smaller than the orcs.

Seeing that most life is still left suffering, the great lizard then decides to create a new source of crystal, so that all life will have access to it without disturbing the home of the cats. A new plant species, the Haoma bush, begins to appear along every coast, bearing fruits studded with the edible crystal that everything craves.

Geb creates a bush that grows crystal covered fruit.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 1st AEON - Age of the Void
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2010, 07:11:14 am »

Quote from: rubberduck
Also, I assume ACTs can trivialize, but not contradict, previous acts, right?

An ACT can never be unmade, but the results can be tinkered with to all your liking. You cannot make it so Greenleaf's elves never existed, but you can inflict them with a deadly plague, or aim a meteor at their forest retreat. If the elven king was made to be honest and good-hearted, you cannot retroactively make him evil, but you are free to twist his heart to evil now.
There's ways to remove the ability's use without simply reversing it. Several I could think of, actually.
…

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2010, 07:25:11 am »

I'm not trying to erase the effects of the Act from history, and I'm not just removing it entirely either. I'm putting limits on what it applies to.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2010, 08:14:32 am »

Beanchubbs sees that his dwarves have no way to counter the naga's magic, and the elves arrows, so he descends once more to the mountain homes. He grabs a log and carves it into the shape of a bow with a handle on it. He then grabs a stone to create a mechanism, so that it is easily fired and reloaded. For the ammunition, he grabs a small sliver of Beanite, and creates a cylindrical shape with a pointed head on it. He tells his dwarves how he made it, so that they may make more.
Beanchubbs tells the dwarves how to make crossbows and bolts.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2010, 03:36:35 pm »

And 100killer9 possesses a physical vessel, and makes his existence known to dwarves and cats. Later on, there are lots of talk about what has happened. The dwarves are nervous, not knowing what to make of this apparition that claims to be a god, and better than their creator Beanchubbs as well. And who seems to think you can talk to cats! What's next? Talk to the herring?

The cats are less concerned, having an innate recognition of 100killer9 for the god he truly is. However, they don't quite know what to do with the dwarves. Some of the dwarves are even saying that the dwarves should leave, before the crystal apparition do something dangerous. The cats don't want that, but are hesitant to simply change the dwarves' mind. The naga might notice, and then the great secret might be out.

The guard naga have grown more martial than the cave naga, and when they hear the news, they offer to try and drive the apparition from the spire. The dwarves shush them down though, as they are unsure how much power the apparition has over the crystal spire. Doubts and confusion rules the spire for a time.

And Geb removes from all but the largest species the ability to summon food, and in addition creates the Haoma bushes. Life returns more or less to normal, with a few exceptions. Elves clash less with the elephants, as the giant beasts are satisfied with simply eating their own food, as long as nobody bothers them. Likewise it is with naga and whales. It does not seem the dragons will ever leave the redwood forest again, simply growing larger and larger from consuming their own summoned food. Nowadays the dragons lie around the redwood forest, occasionally snapping at each other, but mostly just eating. Their gigantic forms would not be able to fit in the forest, without toppling the trees.

The ashen plains remain ashen for the most part, forest only slowly creeping inwards from the edges. The exception is the redwood forest, where other plants begin to sprout once again, now that the dragons are outside.

The elves also run into an ancient predator. In the south tribe after tribe is disappearing, no survivors emerging. The gods can see the cause, the ancient herd of elephants, warped together by the evil tower of Beanchubbs, are on the move, a gigantic roiling mass topping over the trees. Though it could summon food if it wanted, the monster seems to demand living, kicking, screaming food, and almost seem to be seeking out the elven villages.

In the mountains, Beanchubbs offer a crossbow to the dwarves. The dwarves copy the design, noting that Beanite mechanisms might work better than rock, and then place the holy artifact in the temple to Beanchubbs that they are building in Estonsulus, walls covered in Beanite plates and magmafalls streaming from the ceiling. The weaponsmiths begin pumping out crossbows in addition to the hammers and heavy armor. Squads of heavily armed and armored dwarves begin to descent on the forests close to the holds, eager for more wood with which to craft more crossbows. Bringing the wood to the furnaces, the dark dwarves discover the secret of fire, though for now they dismiss it as inferior to magma. All four holds have magma forges running now, and an elaborate project is in the works that will provide every dwelling with floor heating by channeling magma under the living quarters.

ACTs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 03:38:12 pm by rubberduck »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2010, 03:58:29 pm »

Wait... What secret? Is it the secret that the cats are mind-controlling the dwarves?
…

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2010, 05:14:52 pm »

Wait... What secret? Is it the secret that the cats are mind-controlling the dwarves?
The cats have been keeping it a secret, yes.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2010, 06:08:29 pm »

100killer9 decided to simply let the guard naga know. Along with warping their minds to accept the cats' mind control, and realize the equality of cats and naga and superiority of both those over dwarves. Also, he warped tha nagas mind's into wanting to stay in the civilization. He let them know that the cats had no power and would never have power over the guard naga. He put these revelations directly into the guard naga's minds. Lastly, he boomed his voice across the crystal. "The naga know, cats. They accept it too. 'Coerce' the creatures you have power over (sounds like "morves") into worshipping me without fear of the nagas retaliating."
100killer9 warps the guard naga to know and accept the truth, announcing it to cats.
…

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2010, 06:31:01 pm »

I had completely forgotten about the morphed animals, hadn't heard from them in a few updates. I chuckled a little when I read that.
------
   Happy with his dwarves' progression, he decides to reward his dwarves religiously, due to their great temples dedicated to him. He makes his presence known into the grandest temple in the mountainhalls, and requests a great sermon to be performed.
   "You dwarves are the true dwarves. You have survived many challenges; the mind-controlling cat scum, you blocked out. The slithering Naga, you pushed through after the great earthquake many years ago blocked you from your friends and family. You swam through the oceans, fought off great sea-monsters, and founded this great kingdom. Continue on, knowing that you are the sons and daughters of the greatest beings on this planet."
   He then finds the most faithful dwarves among the military and calls them together. He orders them to form a group of holy soldiers that will be his militaristic arm on this planet. He orders the forges to create special armor with his symbol, two crossed axes behind a skull, on the breastplate.

Beanchubbs orders a holy order of dwarves to be formed that will do his bidding.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2010, 08:05:00 pm »

Greenleaf ponders the progress of his elves for a moment, and appears before them. In return for their worship and further belief in him and his ways, the great Monkey will give the elves the knowledge of the magic plane. How to use blood to connect the powers to reality, and use it as a weapon to protect and further the goals of himself and elven kind.

Greenleaf teaches the blood/elemental magic to the elves

After his mission of information to the elves is finished, Greenleaf retreats to the great cosmos to ponder a new creation. Of the sentient beasts on the planet there seems to be a great lack of innovation and passion. Most races gain what they know from the gods themselves. Greenleaf decides that this shouldn't be so. Taking form a large cauldron, he reaches down and plucks the rage of the orcs, the toughness of the dark dwarves, the guile of the cats, the elegance of the elves, and the faith of the naga. This he mixes together to form a young and quickly living race called Humans. He takes these new creations and puts them down on a large island and names the island Eden. He tells the humans that when they have learned how to contact the other races, he will give them a boon.

Greenleaf creates humans on an island away from the other creatures on the planet
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2010, 03:52:24 am »

Geb once again summons Silrazth, his priestess, so that she may keep the naga informed and spread word of new commands.

"Long ago I warned your people of the dangers of the wild continent. This land is still dangerous, but your skills have grown. I believe you could settle there safely, if you plan carefully and know the threats you may face."

"I recall the visions of the elephants, oh Geb, they are terrible beasts. How are we to protect ourselves from them without water to work with?"

"Build only on the coast, be prepared to flee to the safety of the sea at any time. Stone shall be your first defense on land. Tiles will keep away most plants, and strong walls will keep out animals. Dig deep channels and pools within your walls, they will bring water to you, and may serve as escape routes."

"Surely the pools alone could defend us against the elephants! They are no more than walking whales, our guards could easily keep them away."

"You will face greater threats than beasts. Orcs and the mining Dwarfs you met long ago both live there now. Either race may attack you, I cannot predict their actions. Elves live there too, and I believe them to be an honourable race, but they have faced too many threats to trust anything new. They too may attack you if you appear hostile. The walls will serve to shield you from the weapons carried by these races, devices which throw rods of wood or metal hard enough to kill. Water will not shield you. As well as this, they have powerful and mysterious magics."

"All these dangers... what is there to gain from taking these risks?"

"If they see that you are peaceful, the Elves will be willing to trade, and could be strong allies. Find a way to make contact with them, this is my command."

Geb commands the naga to build fortfied trading posts on the wild coasts.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2010, 06:10:44 am »

And 100killer9 warps the minds of the guardian naga, and announces this to the cats. Given direct orders from their god, the cats decisively ends the dwarven confusion, by pulling them entirely under their control. The crystal dwarves stop worshipping Beanchubbs, and begin sending prayers to 100killer9. There is no real devotion, though, the cats are always there, controlling them, and now never venture far from the dwarf that they have attached themselves to. The guardian naga, their minds twisted by 100killer9's intervention, also soon dismiss Geb as a god, and instead turn to the crystal god of 100killer9.

Trade with the cave naga halts, as the cats have no interest in that, focusing instead on making the spire yet higher and grander, with the dwarves putting finishing touches that the cats' raw crystal-growing skills can't do. The cave naga can feel that something is very wrong, both with the now golem-like dwarves, and the guardian naga that has withdrawn worship from their creator god. The cave naga decide to stay away from the tower, lest they be afflicted by the same thing that has warped the spire dwellers. The loss of the delicious crystals which the dwarves traded did hurt, but luckily a new source had just been found.

On the coasts of the Continent of Despair grew the Haoma bushes, desired by both elves and beasts. Some of the elven coastal villages had moved their location, setting up around Haoma bushes and nurturing them, to trade with other elven tribes. This included some seafaring tribes, which were among the first to slowly perfect their boatbuilding skills, though the boats were still of little use on the open sea far from coast.

The cave naga had encountered the seafaring elves in the past, and a small amount of trade existed. Through this had been established a small trade of Haoma fruits in exchange for using their water magic to guard the craft and propel them faster to their destinations. Now, at the order of their deity, and with the crystal trade to the spire cut off, the naga establish their first trading post near the friendly seafaring elves they had already encountered. There they established their pools and channels. Stone walls were an entirely different problem, however. Underwater they could use their water magic to erode dwellings. These skills had little use above water. And so for now, the trading post was a flat area of pools and channels. From here the naga contacted the Haoma growing elves, and so traded the fruits in exchange for seashells and alcoholic beverages.

And Beanchubbs forms a holy order of dwarves. These become known as the Order of the Axe, and wield axes rather than the hammers that other dwarven warriors use. While the dark dwarven army skirmishes with orcs in the mountains, and elves in the forest, the Order of Axe stays within the holds for now, waiting for whatever orders their deity might have for them. Not that the dwarven army needs any help, clad in beanite armor and wielding beanite weapons, they slaughter the orcs, and suffer only minor casualties from the elves. With the creation of the crossbow, the elves are also quickly finding battle with the dwarves a losing proposition.

However, the elves are learning magics to combat the dwarven scourge. Soon elemental mages weigh in on the elven side, drowning the dwarves in rivers, and making the ground swallow them up. This brings the dwarven earth mages into the fray, and battles of spelling and counterspelling occurs, where the loser is the one to first pass out from bloodloss. Soon the two sides are not fighting for any specific cause, but simply out of grudge, to revenge those that has died in earlier battles.

While the elves battle the dwarves in the north, in the south a band has been gathered to investigate the disappearing villages. They find them trampled and smashed, with an easily followable trail of smashed trees leading through the forest. The size of the trail, however, leads them to head back to their home villages to gather reinforcements. The eyes of the gods can see something peculiar and disturbing. As the aberration consumes all around it, it grows, adding features of that consumed to itself. Tusks and trunks mix with elven features, and patches of bark and fur. It is unlikely that the beast can be killed at this stage, without serious application of magic.

And Greenleaf creates the humans, and drops them on the island Eden. This first time is tough for the humans. Though there might be no intelligent life on the island, they are still surrounded by plant and animal life, most of which is hostile. Many die, but through toughness, guile and skill, the humans manage to find a safe haven in a series of caves, armed with wooden clubs. Despite the deaths the humans have heart. They are the chosen creatures of a god, and they are on a mission. From the relative safety of the caves, the humans start to strike out, investigating the surrounding forest, and bringing back things which they can use. They learn to navigate the wilderness, though it is still dangerous. Soon the first flint tools appear, and the first javelins gets carved by the intrepid humans.

ACTs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25