Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25

Author Topic: God Game  (Read 28159 times)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Re: God Game
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2010, 08:29:26 am »

Beanchubbs sees that his dwarves have yet to figure out how to create things with Beanite, and most stone. Through the priests of his shrines, he shows them how they can craft items, weapons, and armor from the ore and stones available to them. And he gives them the knowledge of crafting their own picks, so that they may further speed the making of the defenses and the greatness of the Mountainhalls.

Beanchubbs teaches his dwarves how to craft items (including picks), weapons, and armor from the ore and stones.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2010, 11:43:38 am »

Ah, I think I see where I made my misassumption. ... From which I carried with me the notion that a naga would have to be drunk to use the magic  ::)

Oh well, more interesting that way   ;)

So... with the last Act I've handed out the ability to perform incredibly precise and intricate force control on water, but the only way anybody outside the Islands will see it is if the caster is blind drunk to the point of incoherence. Woo!

Greenleaf teaches the elves how to capture animals and beasts in cages
Greenleaf then instructs the elves to trade more(including their newly caged animals, wood, and plant items) to the other sentients on the land(Dwarves[both cat and dark] and Naga, perhaps even the orcs should they desire it)

Also woo! Do the elves do mail order? I was considering burning one Act on capturing a dragon. They still have potential to do something useful...

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2010, 10:42:57 pm »

Random question, but approximately how long is an AEON? Time doesn't really matter too too much, but I figured I'd ask.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2010, 12:11:14 pm »

And Greenleaf teaches the elves how to build cages from dead branches and to dig pits to trap animals. The elves do so, mostly eating the captured animals.

The elves are surprised to learn of other intelligent races (except the orcs, which are only arguably intelligent). The elves by the sea begin to experiment with watercraft, but find their efforts hampered by the dangerous creatures of the deeps. The elves by the mountains venture up, and find little to export to the orcs, except in arrows, delivered from a distance by bow. Their attempts to trade with the dug in dark dwarves are not very successful either, traders getting killed in dwarven traps before the dwarves ever see them. Finding the corpses, the dark dwarves merely consider them more outsider invaders, though they are intrigued by the bows.

And the cats get inspiration. And the crystal spire begins to grow, gaining arches and towers and more spires. And the dwarves continue their engraving. Occasionally suitable outcroppings grow, which the dwarves chop off and carve into beautiful crystal crafts, which they gift to the naga. The naga offer alcohol in return, but the dwarves find the effects of the brew disconcerting. Instead the naga begins to trade them ocean rocks and shells, which the dwarves incorporate into their crafts. The cats begin to brag to each other about whose dwarf has engraved the finest tower, or carved the finest mug. Occasionally it comes to cat fights, and the cats begin to drift apart.

And the priests of the dark dwarves gain visions of how to craft items from beanite and stone. The stone work is quickly seized upon, though the going is slow with only stone tools. For metalcrafting, the dark dwarves will need fire, a skill that no race beyond the surface dwarves has mastered. However, there is another way. Edzul gathers a band of dwarves, pulls on his divinely crafted armor, and heads out to create a fourth hold. This one will dig into a volcano to use the magma to heat the new forges. And the hold will be known as Estonsulus, or "Smithscrater".

ACTs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2010, 01:36:27 pm »

Geb swims once more over the homes of the Naga, calling out for all to gather, for this is to be a holy day of celebration. All should come! All should dance! Soon a crowd forms, led in procession by their god with tails flicking in unison. Musicians among them set up a beat, the water resonating with their minds, and trails of bubbles forming flashes of patterns around the dancing multitude.

Soon they reach the very centre of the cavern, the most holy place in The Islands of Discomfort, the music slowly falling quiet. As all becomes silent, Geb speaks.

"The Naga have been fortunate compared to those in the outside world, yet still not all have survived. We need not mourn! Today is a day when all who have died may have a chance to live again."

And as it is spoken, it is done. Geb reaches out with his power to the moon created long ago by Greenleaf and changes it into a divine mechanism. From now on the moon will constantly search, looking through all of history seeking death so that it will remember the minds of every single entity that has ever died.

Geb creates an archive of the souls of the dead.

"I know not what will happen to those who follow other gods. Those that follow me will return to live again, in time. Every month when you feel the tides pull as now, know that the dead are above you, waiting for their chance to be hatched again, and remember this holy day." And again, as spoken, it is done.

Geb begins a system of reincarnation for dead Naga to be rehatched as young Naga.

After the shouts among the crowd died away, the fine booze started to be handed around and nobody was really listening anymore. Geb lay back and listened as the partying resumed.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2010, 05:21:15 pm »

100killer9 finds that the cats were growing apart. Cat-on-cat violence did not fit into the grand scheme of things. So, he bestowed upon cats, all cats, a sense of unity with other cats, a sense that all cats were part of a collective society, and they should make a system to govern themselves, or some kind of structure to keep order. He bestowed this idea on all cats as a "civilization of cats", in which cats would be more civil to each other. As a last thought, he gave them a sense of urgency in this civilization, so that they actually have a "civilization".
100killer9 gives cats the concept of civilization.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2010, 07:28:59 pm »

Seeing it un-necessary for his dwarves to send a team towards the magma, he decides to create a great magma-duct towards the mountain home. He reaches into the nearest volcanoes and uses his godly magic to creat underground tunnels leading under the mountainhomes. He tells his dwarves of this and warns them all to watch their step around the magma, as it is one of the most dangerous but greatest tool a dwarf can use.

Beanchubbs creates a safe underground magma-duct under the mountain homes.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2010, 07:42:46 pm »

Sigh...
Magma does not work that way! The convection should be enough to melt your dwarves' faces off. But no one cares about convection... Sigh...

hillburra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2010, 12:11:08 am »

Hillburra rolls in his slumber, having fitful dreams of almost being awake and not knowing what to do. In his dreams a million fanciful things come to pass and then cease to be in the blink of an eye until one thing lingers. Food = Crystal. Hillburra sends out massive waves of suggestive thought that crystals make good food, this thought is so strong that the crystal itself adjusts to His demand that it is food.

None are affected more strongly by suggestion than the telepathic cats who instantly begin gnawing on their crystalline home, which in turn makes their slave dwarves begin chomping. All other creatures on the planet have a strong urge to eat crystals but due to their inability to carry this out they get painful headaches.

Hillburra makes the crystals edible.
Hillburra makes every creature on the planet want to eat the crystal, especially the cats.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:42:48 am by hillburra »
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2010, 04:01:03 am »

And Geb makes the white marble moon a repository of souls, where the mind imprints of all creatures in existence are stored.

And Geb sets in motion a system of reincarnation. Every naga child hatched when when the tides roll through the Islands of Discomfort possess memories from a previous life, and take on many of the personality traits of the reincarnated naga. As the children grow, it becomes apparent that they have not only memories. In the back of their mind sits the mind of the reincarnated naga, observing, commenting and offering advice. If a naga with a reincarnated naga aboard dies (though naga deaths happen only extremely rarely now), any future host will hold both minds, and so on. The nagas born on the turn of tides become known as soulspeakers, possessing the accumulated experience of all within them. That they seem to talk to themselves, is only a minor side effect.

And the cats slowly gain a concept of civilization. A leader arises among them, and they begin to cooperate to create a magnificent masterpiece. The spire begins to grow, upwards and upwards, foot by foot inching towards the sky.

The creation of Estonsulus is already well underway, and the first forges ready to commence operation, when the mountains rumble. The dwarves immediately know what has happened, but that doesn't change their immediate priorities. The first thing that the forges of Estonsulus makes is more picks. Now that picks are plenty, traveling aboveground, through orcish territory is folly. Instead the best miners the dark dwarves possess begin to dig, slowly but surely advancing the tunnel that will connect all four dwarvish holds.

Next the dwarves begin to make weaponry. Not axes, as such are associated to an ancient enemy left far behind. Instead the prefered weapon of the dark dwarves become the sledgehammer, balanced to be wielded in war. Weaponry, armor and picks funnel out to the holds through the underground tunnel system, and warriors are trained for war. Soon the dark dwarves will again step foot on the surface world.

And Hillburra makes the crystal edible, and pleasant-tasting to all creatures. All creatures by the spire gains a compulsive want to nibble at the stuff. And finds it delicious. Soon the dwarves are also trading crystal to the naga, getting yet more trade goods in return. Dwarvish, cattish and naga consumption isn't a large problem, as the cats are able to regrow the crystal, but fish, weeds and whales nibbling at the base of the spire does threaten to compromise the spire's structural integrity.

And so the dwarves begin to hire naga, to use their water magic to keep the waterlife away from the spire's base. The dwarves craft chambers into the base of the spire for these guards, and the guard naga soon become integrated into the spire civilization. They still worship Geb, but as they eat of the crystal, and associate more with the dwarves, than their own kind, they become distant from the cavern naga.

ACTs
[/quote]

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2010, 04:16:07 am »

Greenleaf, grown bored with his elves, and the machinations of animal life, turns his divine focus upon the plants. His greatest creation, the redwoods still stand tall, as the dreaded home of the dragons, but they are immobile and at the mercy of those around them.

The great monkey rakes his claws along his forearm, and sprinkles his immortal blood upon the forest. Wherever these red droplets fall, new creations grow. With the power and majesty of trees, but with a mobility of animals. These new sentient trees are able to think and fend for themselves.

Greenleaf turns some of the redwoods into Ents.

Then, plunging his blood coated paw into the very fabric of existance. Greenleaf uses a mixture of his own blood, and bits of star dust and the blackness of deepest space to bring magic to the world. An underlying plane of power, fueled and occupied by elementals.

Greenleaf creates a source of elemental magics
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2010, 07:23:03 am »

Hey, hey, hey! Didn't I specifically have the crystal guard against corruption, like my continent? Otherwise, I would have never made it in the first place. The ENTIRE POINT of it was to serve that purpose.
EDIT: Though the point was to prevent the cats and dwarves themselves from eating it.
Anyway... Here's my ACT.
100killer9 has a solution to all this eating. All creatures gained the ability to summon any food as fast as they could eat it, and could only summon 1/2 their own weight at a time. They got the power to summon back once they finished the previously summoned food. No being would eat anything else over choosing to eat this food.
100killer9 gives creatures the ability to summon food.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:31:13 am by 100killer9 »

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2010, 08:03:07 am »

Hey, hey, hey! Didn't I specifically have the crystal guard against corruption, like my continent? Otherwise, I would have never made it in the first place. The ENTIRE POINT of it was to serve that purpose.
EDIT: Though the point was to prevent the cats and dwarves themselves from eating it.
That's what happens as acts begin to pile up. I can't remember everything.

However, looking back on your act, it wasn't very clearly defined. I've taken corruption to mean "animals eating each other", since Hillburra's original act is the only halfway decent definition we have. The cats and dwarves are eating crystal, not smaller creatures.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2010, 02:16:06 pm »

I seem to remember being told that we can't just guard against corruption. And a divine act would overturn anything, we just have to use another act to fix things.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2010, 04:55:09 pm »

And some of the redwoods are turned into ents, rivaling whales for the spot as the planet's largest mobile lifeforms. Surely they are the largest intelligent ones. Curiously the dragons do not bother them, and so in turn the ents do not bother them. For a long time the ents simply stand around, perhaps not realizing that they can now move. When they do move, they mostly mill slowly around in the forest. For the moment, none seems interested in leaving, though they do begin to tend to their immobile brethren, trying to get them back into better shape.

And Greenleaf creates the elemental plane, a place so close to reality, that energy can be drawn across the threshold with the correct frame of mind and a bit of blood. More blood is required to contact one of the strange creatures of that plane, and draw it too across the threshold, but it is possible, at least for a time, after which the elemental will dissolve into the surroundings, effectively destroying it.

The Naga are the first to discover this magic, attuned as they are to the water around them. They find that they can influence water with blood rather than booze. The elemental magic is stronger than their usual magic, able to move larger quantities of water (with sufficient sacrifice on behalf of the caster), but it does not have nearly as much finesse as booze magic in the hands of a skilled practitioner.

The dark dwarves also discover elemental magic, in their case tuning into the element of stone, whether in solid or liquid form. The practitioners are fewer, as most dark dwarves don't seem to have the mindset for it. Those that do seem to be miners in majority. The few mages can mold the rock as clay, and move magma as easily as the naga move water. The dark dwarves still prefer the pick, though, for digging even among the mages, as bleeding for the magic is tiring in the long run. But with the magic, they can make the rooms with walls as smooth as glass, and firm up sections of tunnels that might risk collapse. The magic is mostly used constructively, with no thought given yet to offensive uses, except in the case of traps.

And 100killer9 gives creatures the ability to summon their own food. The eco system comes to a screeching halt, as there is no need for hunting. Even the dragons and elephants seem placated. The elves refuse to use the ability, as it offends their view of proper balance in nature, and continue to hunt for prey in the forest. The cats, surface dwarves and guard naga summons crystals to eat, though they still occasionally nibble from crystal outcroppings of the spire. Even if the summoned food is handy, the real things just seems more satisfying.

ACTs

I seem to remember being told that we can't just guard against corruption. And a divine act would overturn anything, we just have to use another act to fix things.
Yes and no. The spire might not have protected them against a divine act that corrupted them. But it might have purged them afterwards. And if that seems arbitrary compared to earlier messages, its probably because it is. A lot of things here is a matter of degrees, and at the end of the day, I post what I feel fits best.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25