Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: End of the Road Arena - CRS 1.1 (work still in progress as of 25 June 2010)  (Read 5027 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - End of the Road Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 02:35:22 pm »

Interesting game, anyway. To satisfy my curiousty, what exactly WERE the odds, percentage wise in the final bout, about who would win? Like he obviously beat me on a strength roll, twice to disarm and resist my attempt to throw him off. He beat me on a dex roll to jump over my sword, and possibly an intelligence roll for me to not see it coming? With luck like that, I would of failed no matter what strategy I used, correct? hah

What use did intelligence actually have here, or would I have been better off stacking dex like him? Or should A player who has alot of intelligence, plan more complicated strategy? I would question the need for an intelligence stat, actually. It seems like it is mostly used for...anything really the GM decides. Which means annoying players will question "why not this, why not that" etc.

And, I am not complaining, I just want to know, as I would not mind making another character when everything is fleshed out.

On your questions,

1. I think more people would see it here
2. That might be better
3. Downtime is good when it's not past 2-3 days. Anything longer than that, your gamer will reasonably stagnate.

Anyway, this seems like a nice experiment. Good luck turning it into a working game!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 10:00:52 am »

Quote from: Dwarmin
To satisfy my curiousty, what exactly WERE the odds, percentage wise in the final bout, about who would win?

I'm not sure what the exact odds were but I don't think there was one time in all three turns that the actions or rolls ended up the way I expected, so when I expected you to win I probably hexed you.

Like he obviously beat me on a strength roll, twice to disarm and resist my attempt to throw him off. He beat me on a dex roll to jump over my sword, and possibly an intelligence roll for me to not see it coming?

There were quite a few times during the bout that I thought I should have done things differently so I tried to play this one by the new rules for the most part to try and give my actions a bit more justification. A major problem was that the new rules depend a lot on space and time measurements that would need to have been in place at the start of the match to work right, so I ended up compromising with a couple of assumptions like your sword was designed for a range greater than unarmed which under the new rules would mean that you were at a disadvantage if your opponent got into unarmed range. Something which I had also intended from the start of the first bout but didn't make clear was that the combatants would have little or no combat experience, with their weapon skills probably coming from less than an hour of training between selecting it and entering the battlefield which is also why I did an Intelligence roll for almost every attack - because they wouldn't have the experience to know how much the weapon increased their reach by in a battle-effective manner, plus they would be stressed out by fighting to the death (part of the reason for Ligith's crying at the end) so their effective use of their senses would be further reduced.

From the start of the last turn I looked at both Orange and Ligith's orders and figured that the appropriate mindset was to finish it that turn, so I was going to ignore the rule implying that each turn was about three seconds unless something extraordinary happened.

Ligith ended the previous turn by jumping backwards out of your sword range (I was expecting you to score a hit but Ligith was too lucky - it scored 140 in a Dexterity check and Orange couldn't have beaten that) so I figured it was about two sword-lengths and interpreted your order as meaning you wanted to slash Ligith's legs from within your weapon's range so I had you start closing the distance. Then Ligith also started charging and I interpreted your 'be wary of any tackling attempt' as a form of preparation and gave Orange an auto-success at thinking which caused it to stop charging, otherwise the distance would close too quickly and Ligith would be closer than your weapon's optimum range. This also meant that when Orange dropped down to slash Ligith's legs, it didn't get a penalty due to moving at the same time like Ligith did. In spite of the penalty Ligith managed to jump the blade anyway (I assumed Orange was slashing at its calfs, though a thigh-high slash could still be jumpable) and collided with Orange because of momentum. I figured that Orange was probably a bit off-balance due to dropping down quickly but it wouldn't have made much difference when Ligith had its momentum. Ligith ending up on top seemed more reasonable than having it bounce off and I figured that since it had been deliberately aiming to get in your face (and I didn't think of Orange as being below Ligith's jump height) an overshoot was unreasonable so it ended up on top without having to make a roll. When Ligith was going to make a grab for the sword I figured it would let go of the sand it was holding to grab for the sword with both hands so I gave it an Intelligence roll to drop the sand in Orange's eyes in the process but it flunked so it didn't. Being on the bottom and having taken the force of your landing and some of Ligith's should have gotten you a penalty but I didn't work that out until later and since Ligith got lucky and ended the match anyway I decided not to edit it in.

With luck like that, I would of failed no matter what strategy I used, correct?

Probably. Part of the reason I started on the new rules was to make a good strategy better than good luck. Also because I had concerns that the stats weren't balanced (I still do but it's being worked on) with Strength seeming underused (which ironically was used to decide the match) though that might just have been because of a lack of direct clashes.

What use did intelligence actually have here, or would I have been better off stacking dex like him? Or should A player who has alot of intelligence, plan more complicated strategy?

The idea was for each stat to play a part but things didn't go as planned. When I first saw that Ligith had only 10 points in Strength and Intelligence I figured they would lose in short order, then when they lucked an Intelligence roll to perform a counter-attack but messed up the execution and lost their whip I thought again that they would lose within the next turn but the character's interactions ended up allowing Ligith to use it's Dexterity each time it came close to death.

I used Intelligence as a combination of perception (which influenced weapon aiming) and the ability to notice changes in circumstances and plan new tactics accordingly (in the first turn, Ligith thought to change from defence to offence independent of the player's orders because it saw an opportunity thanks to an Intelligence roll, which was a good plan with poor execution. Looking over my notes, Orange also used an Intelligence roll in the first turn to try and figure out how to kill Ligith when it just kept on backing away. Once again the execution went awry).In theory this means that a character with higher Intelligence would disregard poor orders and take a better course of action though it might fall down on the implementation of those actions. The definition of 'a better course of action' is one that I determine mid-turn, so the AI for this bout could have been thought of as 'overriding stupidity' since it almost never worked out favourably.

I would question the need for an intelligence stat, actually. It seems like it is mostly used for...anything really the GM decides. Which means annoying players will question "why not this, why not that" etc.

Some of the new rules are aimed at setting guidelines for the AI in a way that a player can take advantage of by making sure that they can explicity prevent the AI from doing some things like that misfortuned counter-attack by Ligith in the first turn, although I'm hoping some of the other rules will prevent some of the more frustrating failures. This also means that something is less likely to go wrong just because I wasn't in the right frame of mind at the time. That's a lot of the reason that the new rules are relatively rigid, so that what happens has checks in place to keep quality consistent. If something seems unnecessary bear in mind that so far there have been very little in the way of rules and balancing. It occurred to me that the number of rules and regulations being implemented might be out of place in a RTD, which is part of the reason that I suggested moving this to another forum.

And, I am not complaining, I just want to know,

I would understand if you did complain, seeing as alot of the workings aren't where you can see them. I've been thinking I should review the rules to make sure people don't feel too intimidated to bring up any issues they might have, which is not the idea behind bout 1 rule 8. A game isn't much good without satisfied players after all, it's just that because I haven't had any 'hard and fast' rules that I've felt were consistent I haven't been inclined to show them.

as I would not mind making another character when everything is fleshed out.

Glad to hear it, although it could be a while. I actually started working on an example bout today and I've already come across a couple of issues:

• The TU cost for Move that got posted is incomplete - Moving 100 SUs at 100% Intensity is supposed to take 100 TUs, not 1! I consider this a game breaker.
  • In the 'clash calcs' section, the formula for working out the TU penalty is missing.
  • Some of the calculations take even longer than I expected - something like half an hour without finishing one clash, so I might try and write a program to speed things up a bit.

As a result I'm going to be using the example bouts as a debugging tool and re-post the rules once I'm done. Considering how long it took me to come up with the flawed version the only commitment I'm willing to make is to mention progress about once a week. Since I seem to have a poor track record of predicting player behaviour I might post bits and pieces for people to put through a stress test before completion to try and improve the end result (that part in bout 1 where Ligith scooped up some sand... before that I hadn't consciously thought about the floor ).

If there are people who are interested in this 'beta testing' phase, I would like it if you let me know by post or PM. Also feel free to give suggestions, though this set of rules is likely to be more of a bugfix for the existing ones than one with additional features (eg I expect it to be somewhat 'vanilla' with its lack of proper unarmed combat) but after the doubts I had during the first match I'd rather have a solid foundation first.

Anyway, this seems like a nice experiment. Good luck turning it into a working game!

Thanks. I felt a glow of satisfaction when bout 1 ended and hope to feel it again when I've got a solid system in place. The challenge is not to exhaust myself by deferring bed every night!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 01:53:31 am »

Your combat routines sound more complicated than the FATAL system. Like, the whole of FATAL system. Which used, among others, a d10000000 (yes, ten million).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 08:46:08 am »

Quote from: Sean Mirrsen
Your combat routines sound more complicated than the FATAL system. Like, the whole of FATAL system.

I just looked it up on Wikipedia. I'm not sure if you are referring to the bout 1 rules (where part of the problem was a lack of consistent/consistently enforced rules) or what are currently called the bout 2 rules.
  I wrote on at length but I think a relatively concise version would be better:

• The formulae are meant to provide a more stable base for rules than GM whim. The players are not required to follow all the calculations themselves but they have the option of doing so.
  • The gist of the combat system is meant to be 'take account of your opponent's strengths and your own, then attempt to minimise theirs and maximise yours by use of spacing and timing'. The character's 'strengths' are based on character statistics and weapon statistics. Unless a player does something outside the box their actions will only alter those strengths.
  • I intend for things to be fun. I also intend for it to be possible to implement a strategy with minimal luck involved for achieving victory rather than having virtual dice constantly determining the outcome. I hope that the latter will facilitate the former.
  • I hope for the rules to have a logical basis, so a player can think 'a spear is less dangerous if you only get hit by the shaft' without having to view a formula. If they want to make comparisons between plans then their ability to do so is limited by their ability to compare the formulae. Even so I don't think I'll try for absolute realism, since that would require far too many rules to emulate and interfere with the fun.

Which used, among others, a d10000000 (yes, ten million).

I think complexity is more about how values interact than the number of digits in said numbers. Although I wouldn't like to have to interpret the rules of a traditional roll-to-dodge that used one of those:
Quote from: RTD10000000
Roll=1(SUPER OMEGA ETC ETC FAIL) Good thing you didn't have a malus.

I am currently working out how to make the rules more player friendly, as well as working out how to manage the complexity on my end. In fact, the reason I'm on the internet right now is to look up a tutorial on programming file I/O to try and implement things correctly, like storing turn information in separate folders and other unexciting stuff that I'd be tempted to defer otherwise. When I have done so, feel free to tell me if your criticism (if it was meant as such) is still relevent.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 12:19:04 pm »

That wasn't really criticism, more like a comment on the seeming complexity of your system derived from a quote I can't seem to find now about how it took you a lot of time to do what was, essentially, a quick blow exchange. That is usually decided by about six rolls, tops, in a standard RTD, or even RPG system. Come to think of it, even Battletech volley exchanges require less effort to sort through than you seem to be putting yourself through. It's either an entirely too convoluted, or actually very advanced system, and I'm very much hoping that you're working on it becoming the latter. Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:21:34 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 08:14:05 am »

Spoiler: Weekly update #1: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Weekly update #2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Weekly update #3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:02:00 am by Sadist »

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: End of the Road Arena
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 12:17:52 pm »

Instead of trying to make a larger system simple, I'm starting off with a very restricted version that is playable with only a few rules that need to be learnt. Then I'll gradually add/modify features with each version until a roadblock such as excessive GM/Player requirements comes up. The idea is for only a small amount of learning to be necessary at each step, reducing the amount of new knowledge that needs to be assimilated each time.

I will call this the Conflict Resolution System because I haven't come up with anything better.

It is expected that prospective players will read the tutorials for each action (in this version Attack and Defend) and the basic rules in their entirety. As a test each character sheet submission is to be accompanied by an answered question form to make sure you understand enough to predict the results of your actions. You'll need to get the first three right to play but the more questions you answer correctly the higher you'll go on the waiting list. Calculator recommended. Questions and answers may change with each ruleset but I'll assume that anyone who can fill it in correctly in a prior ruleset can update their knowledge as required.
  I recommend you look at the example game (in the post below this) as an additional aid to understanding how the game works. For brevity I have omitted the part where orders were given but I think the example is still understandable (and hopefully correct).
  If you catch an error in your status report (hint: my most common error in the example game was not filling in each action that executed between reports) then you get 5 extra hitpoints. Whether I tell your opponent about them is undecided.

Spoiler: CRS 1.0 features (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rules for CRS 1.0 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Question Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Attack Explanation (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Defend Explanation (click to show/hide)

Number of players scheduled for upcoming/ongoing match: 0
  Number of players on waiting list: 0

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: End of the Road Arena: CRS 1.0 Example Game
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 01:10:01 pm »

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: End of the Road Arena - CRS 1.0
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 12:49:15 pm »

A whole week and not even a "I would like to play but..." has been received on my end. Is it because the rules aren't clear enough? Is it because people started at the beginning of the thread and thought that this was still a RTD (it probably wouldn't have helped that I forgot to edit the initial post to have a redirect to here until now)? Is it just that no-one can/wants to play?

Please send me some feedback so that I know, either by posting in this thread or sending me a PM.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 03:38:18 pm »

Maybe because last I checked, this thread was locked? I don't have a habit of rechecking threads I know to be locked, for example. At least as long as they don't show up on my Updated Topics list.

And frankly, since you've done all this TU stuff... why keep it an arena? Make a full-scale side-on-side tactical deathmatch. With guns. And bazookas. (note: this wasn't really a serious suggestion, but you should consider it)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 03:40:53 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 04:08:11 pm »

And frankly, since you've done all this TU stuff... why keep it an arena? Make a full-scale side-on-side tactical deathmatch. With guns. And bazookas. (note: this wasn't really a serious suggestion, but you should consider it)

While I'm making sure that the rules are manageable for players to comprehend (and me to accurately enforce) the match-ups will be very restricted and scenario-based, so I figure that an arena is as good a premise as any.
  I do plan to have ranged weapons eventually but before I implement them I'll want to make sure players understand targeting (currently handled by the GM, though I plan for player-control to be one of the first rule modifications), movement (rather than staying in one place they should try to find cover - also involves targeting and space) and probably some other things as well.
  The TU stuff is to get around an issue I saw in turn-based games on these forums (though i've mostly just read through RTDs) where one person would spend their turn firing a shot from their gun while another player would walk several city blocks. I figure that breaking the time up into smaller units (ie Time Units) is a simple solution that anyone who has had multiple-turn actions will be able to get their head around.

I think I'm starting to ramble, so I'll cut out here.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 05:23:27 pm »

Hmm. Tried to read through your rules. Didn't get it. Read again. Still didn't get it. Way too many formulas there, and little actual descriptions.

You should redo your system again, methinks. Currently, X-Com beats it by a mile. Simply AP (TUs, whatever) and energy, you use both in a combination to do stuff. APs recharge fully every turn, energy has a fixed recharge rate. Some fixed AP consumption rates for movement, plus variable AP/energy costs for attacks, and you're set, no need for calculations.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 11:04:03 pm »

I'm not really into these games, but one thing that I think is keeping players from responding is that the system seems incredibly complicated and scary. I mean, just reading it is a nigh-Herculean task, let alone comprehending it or becoming good at it.

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: End of the Road Arena - CRS 1.0 (help wanted)
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 08:08:05 am »

I'm going to try rewriting the rules again but this time I'm going to want one or more people who are interested in the game to review them for clarity before I post them.

The idea is that I'll PM bits to anyone who wants to help and they can PM me back saying whether they understand or not and making suggestions on how to improve the presentation. This is to avoid cluttering up the topic with numerous posts of unintelligible rule declarations.

The rules aren't that complicated, so I'm sure that the problem is in the presentation.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: End of the Road Arena - CRS 1.0 (help wanted)
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 01:13:35 pm »

I read the game itself, but some of the more gigantic rule changes and logs were a bit tl;dr, so once you're done with the rule could you make a sumary of stuff a player need to know?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4