Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: End of the Road Arena - CRS 1.1 (work still in progress as of 25 June 2010)  (Read 5028 times)

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EDIT: This originally started out as a RTD but I wasn't satisfied with the way it worked out so I started work on revised rules which are stated here. The posts before that point are from when I tried to make it work as a RTD and are left here for historical reasons.

EDIT (help wanted): Details here (EDIT: changed link)

After reading through numerous RTDs, I have wanted to create my own RTDs which will outshine all others that have come before.

This will not be one of them.

Due to my past history of not finishing what I set out to do, I have decided to try something a little less ambitious - the End of the Road Arena.

EDIT: Bout 2 rules include a new character sheet format. The old one is left here for historical value.

Spoiler: Rules (Bout 1) (click to show/hide)

Two players at a time, although if I actually prove up to this, there will be a high rate of turnover.

Note that this is a brutal game, with first-turn death a possibility.
Also note that there are no guarantees of enjoyment, humor et al, including the implied guarentees of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, although the spelling is usually right.

Sorry, I did this offline and tried to set it up so that you could read it in small pieces at a time, then I came here and found out that apparently you can't nest spoiler tags. So, this is a big wall of text warning.
Edit: Did some subsectioning using CODE and QUOTE tags but it's still not the level of formatting I was aiming for.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:28:47 am by Sadist »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - End of the Road Arena
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »

Sounds cool

Name:Tanis
  Weapon: Heavy two-handed sledgehammer, with spike on end of handle
  Strength: 50
  Dexterity:20
  Intelligence:30

First move:I watch my opponent carefully, while slowly circling, holding the hammer low.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:25:09 am by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 03:03:27 pm »

Name: Ligith
  Weapon: Whip
  Strength: 10
  Dexterity: 80
  Intelligence: 10

First move: Ligith stays back, avoiding combat for a while, observing combatants for a while.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 03:42:31 pm »

Name: Orange
Weapon: Medium length Scimitar, hilt heavy to allow better parrying
Strength: 20
Dexterity:  30
Intelligence: 50

First move: Attack quickly, forcing the enemy on the defense. Strike with precision.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 04:02:45 pm »

Name: Rocky
  Weapon: 2-handed gaint maul
  Strength: 6
  Dexterity:3
  Intelligence:1

First move:Make a warcry! charging at mah enemy and trying to smash it into pulp with mah hammar!

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:38:07 pm »

The first two combatants have been selected. I'll update the rules but I'll draw atttention to two points that influenced my decision:
  • Quote from: Sadist
    4. All moves must be sent to me by PM. This is partly to avoid cluttering the thread, also to keep the other player from seeing your move and posting a 'If they're doing that, I change my action to...' amendment and starting a cycle of annoyance for me. I will post the moves as part of the turn resolution.
    Apply for a position in the game by sending me a PM with a filled in character sheet.
    The part that I want to draw attention to is the one that says PM. Apart from the reasons quoted above, it also allows you a certain amount of anonymity (in that I only intend to use character names, not screen names) and it hides the numeric details of your character so that your opponent has to work out an appropriate strategy by using turn-resolution-dialogue to infer your strengths and weaknesses in relation to their own. What really narrowed the choices down (and unfortunately is what kept the one person who PM'ed me out of the first round) is:
  • I thought at the time that there would be confusion about this but I really wanted to go to bed and decided to hope it was clear enough.
    You have 100 points to distribute among your stats.

Name:
      Weapon:
      Strength:
      Dexterity:
      Intelligence:

First move:
    the distribution of points is meant to be 1 point for one Strength, Dexterity or Intelligence, which will add up to an absolute numerical value. At least noone tried to put points into Name, Weapon or First move :).

Rule update, then rolls, then calculations, then narration, then calc adjustment and back to rolls... with possible interruptions from Real Life.
I'll try to get a move up today.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:28:47 am by Sadist »

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:27:16 am »

Quote from: Ligith
Move: Ligith stays back, avoiding combat for a while, observing combatants for a while.
Quote from: Orange
Move: Attack quickly, forcing the enemy on the defense. Strike with precision.

"People of Someplace! Our next two combatants have entered the arena!"
  "Which will die first for our pleasure? Which will die second for our justice? As long as these criminals pay for their crimes, WE...WIN!"
  *error Cannot find CrowdCheers.wav*
  "First up we have some scrawny villian with a whip from the East Entrance. Let's show them some support."
  *crowd boos and suggests varied activities which Ligith would not willingly engage in*
  "From the West Entrance, its opponent!"
  *Some of the crowd strained their throats previously, but the rest of it raises their volume*
  After the crowd quiets down (five seconds later, they've got another dozen or so combatants to heckle before the next intermission), the announcer resumes speaking:
  "Are you ready? Let the fight... begin!"

The commentator starts its dialogue (punctuation added to make it more intelligible):
  "The match just started and The Sword charged straight at Whippy like a wild animal. Whipster seems to be keeping their distance from the flashing blade without much trouble in spite of its opponents' aggressive velocity but wait! (Second rolls here) The Sword runs at an oblique angle and tries to slash The Whipster before Whippy can change direction but doesn't quite get close enough before slashing so the Whipster doesn't even have to defend. (Third rolls here) Whippy spots a chance to counter attack and takes it! (Fourth rolls here) But Whippy miscalculates and instead of lashing its opponent ends up wrapping its whip around Pointy's torso! (Fifth rolls here) But Pointy just won't stop! Now Whippy is Whipless on the ground and Pointy has come to a stop several meters away. What will happen next?"

Spoiler: Ligith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Orange (click to show/hide)

I'll do a little 'behind the scenes' rantbreakdown (not blow-by-blow, but possibly of interest(Edit: so it was blow-by-blow after all, at least you can choose not to read it)) between this and the next turn but I plan to take a meal break possibly followed by work so it might not be today.

Oh and mention any errors you see (including any accidental use of 'he' instead of 'it') and I might correct it or you as I deem appropriate.

I predict this ending next turn.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:51:21 am by Sadist »

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 06:10:08 am »

When I first thought up the system I was going to use, it didn't have statistics, it was just going to be each combatant getting a 1d6 rolled for them, with a difference of 3 being enough to end the match. Then I thought 'sure, the player characters are going to have less chance to develop personalities than the average goblin in most RTDs, that doesn't mean that they can't have something to differentiate them from each other other than their weapons'. So I gave them statistics, three to keep things fairly simple, thinking that they would allow a bit of personality while having mostly flavour effect rather than changing the game on me.

I'm still laughing at myself over that.

The statistics were supposed to only require a couple of changes to the rules, maybe add a couple of rolls per turn, not require more than a couple of modifications to the relevent calcs.

First rolls:

Ligith: 5
  Orange: 4

This was the 'traditional' roll of the 1d6 for each player. In this case it had little effect - basically it just meant that neither of them failed, so they didn't end up failing without 'external factors'.

Analysis of the combatant's intended actions indicated that Ligith was on the defensive and Orange was on the offensive, so I figured that Orange could be considered to be trying to break through Ligith's defence. I didn't end up rolling for Orange to come up with a plan (though I might in future, especially if it looks like a deviation from their original action), so I rolled against its Intelligence to see if it could pull it off (I'm currently thinking that Intelligence should affect a character's ability to 'think on the spot', also to determine how well they interpret information that their senses bring them).

Second rolls:

Roll against Orange's intelligence: 72(roll) vs ??(Intelligence): Orange had a strategy to overcome Ligith's evasive tactics but did not implement it correctly due to incorrect interpretation of distances

I should probably have done rolls involving both character's Dexterity to see if Orange could move fast enough but since I had a mental image of Ligith moving backward I figured it wouldn't be able to get to full speed anyway - that and I figured Dexterity would be overpowered if one could just 'evade' all day.

After the outcome of that roll I figured that the turn was about out of time, although if Ligith was opportunistic enough it would counter-attack so I figured I should do an Intelligence test before ending the turn, even if it was almost certain to fail.

Third rolls:

Roll against Ligith's Intelligence: 8(roll) vs ??(Intelligence): Roll was to see if Ligith was smart enough to change strategy and mount a counter-attack, which it is.

Up until this point I'd only been doing single rolls to determine outcomes, even though I'd initially planned to have all three stats play some part in almost every action. While I was getting my second wind, I resolved not to skip rolls in the future (as often).

Fourth rolls:

Roll against Ligith's Dexterity: 8(roll - randomness allows this) vs ??(Dexterity): Roll was to see if Ligith was fast enough to counter-attack, which it is.
  Roll against Ligith's Intelligence: 16(roll) vs ??(Intelligence): Roll was to see if Ligith was accurate and effective, which it wasn't.

The idea behind this was, while I figured that the whip was primarily dependent on Dexterity to be wielded effectively, it would also require an ability to perceive distances which meant an Intelligence roll. As a result of the Intelligence roll, I decided that the whip would either overshoot or undershoot. Since my mental image was of Ligith taking a step to keep in range (and since I wasn't sure how long the whip was) it was an overshoot, so the whip ended up wrapped around (the still-charging-in-the-not-quite-right-direction) Orange.

Fifth rolls:

Roll: Ligith's Strength vs Orange's Strength: ((45(roll) + ??(Ligith's Strength) = ??) vs ((50(roll) + ??(Orange's Strength) = ??))): Roll was to see if Ligith's grip on its whip would keep against Orange's pull. It didn't.
  Roll against Ligith's Dexterity: 95(roll) vs ??(Dexterity): Roll was to see if Ligith lost its balance. It did.
  Roll against Orange's Strength: 2(roll) vs ??(Strength): Roll was to see if Orange was able to compensate for the lack of resistance after pulling Ligith's whip away. It did.

I should probably have given Ligith another Intelligence roll to let go of the whip before being pulled off balance but I failed mine. Some of these outcomes would have been quite different if I had taken the difficulty of a challenge into account when rolling (as opposed to making each roll 1 to 100), although considering how Ligith ended up when it decided to change strategy with its low Intelligence, it worked out OK this time.

Well, when you're ready PM me your next turns and I'll get to them when I get to them.

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 02:37:48 am »

Ligith attempts to distract sword(GM: I assume you mean Orange) by throwing a handful of dust into his face, then disarm him.
First, Back away slowly

IF he charges THEN execute wide sweeping slashes until he is driven back or killed.

IF he does not charge, OR retreats from combat with me, remove the whip THEN move forward into a sweeping attack pattern as above.

Assuming he does die, I will behead him, at which point I will throw his head into the crowd and say "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?"

The commentator takes a breath and continues.
  "Instead of pressing its advantage, Pointy seems to be afraid of its weaponless opponent and is backing away slowly, leaving the whip to fall on the packed sand. Whipless seems to be taking heart from this and has just stood up and is slowly advancing with its fists raised in front of its face. If this keeps up (First rolls here) The Swordsperson has stopped retreating and adopted a stance suitable for a lunging strike in case Whipless makes a grab for the whip - (Second rolls here) but The Pugilist advances so that they are within lunging distance! (Third rolls here) Cutlass moves in for the kill but The Pugilist jumps back (Fourth rolls here) while uppercutting the air - no wait! The Pugilist must have been carrying sand in its fists since it got up, because it just managed to throw some in The Swordsperson's face while jumping back from its blade. Pokey must have closed its eyes in time, as a quick shake of the head seems to have affected a full recovery. How long can they keep this up?"

It has occurred to me that making the status viewable to the public is potentially compromising to the players (especially if I get this to the point where they have to worry about bonuses and maluses frequently), so I'm going to start sending them via PM (along with notices of turn completion) and wait until their characters are dead before editing them in. I may make an exception if the status has nothing of gameplay consequence, or post 'edited' status showing only information visible from the turn commentary.

Public Status:

Private Status:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:27:09 am by Sadist »

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 08:57:29 am »

I have just copied the moves for turn 3 and will post the turn when I get it done, which will take a bit longer than the first 2 for a few reasons.

The last couple of nights have been less than satisfactory sleep-wise which I believe is reducing the quality of my performance to a lower level than usual. Fortunately most of this work has been out of view working on some experimental rules for the second bout. I originally intended to spend maybe 2 hours working up a couple of rule changes but have ended up with a mess of new rules (a conservative count puts it at 13) which frequently clash, contain ambiguity or have balancing issues - and I have yet to get some of the ones I was looking forward to down on virtual paper.
  Since some of the rules that I will insist on keeping change the character sheet, move structure etc I will be needing previous submissions to be reworked. I intend to give the potential players notice no later than the completion of turn 3 of bout 1 once I have confirmed the rules to test out.

One of the experimental rules that I intend to at least partially implement in this bout involves the combat calculations - up until now, an attack has worked something along the lines of 'win these two (or more) rolls to hit for noticeable effect, unless your opponent succeeds with their dodge roll - or their block roll, or their avoid-injury-anyway roll' which means, since there has only been success and failure (ie the degree of success or failure hasn't been a factor) the chances of an effective blow have been unrealistically low. I intend to change that.

Some of the rules that I intend to work on and introduce for bout 2 (which may or may not need balancing mid-bout):

Spoiler: A distance system (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Intensity (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arena types (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Defined Actions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The AI (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The commentator (click to show/hide)

Well I'm guessing that anyone who looks at this will be heartily sick of this, so I'll just say that I expect to have turn 3 up before Tuesday.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 09:22:17 am »

This is simply great. Such an amount of factors for an RTD definetly gives game a great deal of atmosphere, and actually makes players plan their actions, which is a nice change from normal RTD's. This is awesome, just like You, get well soon D=
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - End of the Road Arena - Bout 1 Concluded
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 08:26:21 am »

Sand! SAND?!

Oh wait, run forward and kill the unarmed man with my sword-sweep, sweep, sweep the legs!

Be wary of any tackling attempt.

My character is on notice for anymore sand based attacks!

OR chase him around in circles till the guards decide to shoot us both with crossbows. I assume eventually the crowd will get bored.
Realising He's loosing (GM: I'll interpret that as losing) the fight, Ligith charges Orange in a desperate attempt to disarm him and impale him with his own sword.

GM's note: The combatants really are genderless, they're not called 'it' just for dehumanisation.

Spoiler: Narration (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: After the match... (click to show/hide)

Orange
  Ligith

Character Details:

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 09:20:31 am »

You have really given thought to this. Thanks.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 05:29:51 pm »

I might have to drop out of this. It seems awfully confusing and I can't keep up.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 09:49:42 am »

As I thought might happen, it looks like the new experimental rules might be a bit too complicated for RTD players (who I gather are 'casual' gamers). So I thought I'd bring a few relevent thoughts up:

• With the new ruleset having less of a random element than most RTDs, I thought it might be appropriate to have it take place in another forum, probably the Forum Games and Roleplaying forum.
  • I could hold matches between opponents of my own creation to demonstrate the rules. Since I figure it might be considered egotistical to do it off my own bat I'll only do it on request (only one request needed because I am egotistical).
  • I could work on a hybrid version which had a (relatively) simple player interface yet still gave me a stable base when it came to executing the turn. Possible reasons this might not be desirable would be the downtime while I implemented it and that I would probably have my time divided between the hybrid version and the complex version which would probably lead to longer update times.

None of the listed choices are exclusive. Tell me by PM or post if you have an opinion on any or all of them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4