Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Animal-hide Bedding v1.01  (Read 5102 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal-hide Bedding v1.01
« on: January 10, 2010, 12:35:54 pm »

New version!

Make a new text file called reaction_standard_leatherbeds and paste the contents of the following spoiler into it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And a second text file named creature_mixbeast and paste the next spoiler's contents into it:

Generate a new world, and you should be golden.

New features from original version:

Recently I've been playing with Frogwarrior's CatSplosion mod, but after finishing one fort, I decided that it wasn't challenging enough. So, for my new fort, I decided that I would build literally everything out of animal products, to fit cats' carnivorous natures.

To this end, I've been doing some modding. Specifically, I've made reactions to turn leather from every land-walking non-humanoid species in vanilla into beds, so you can make beds without using wood. I suspect that some people doing "primitive" or barbarian civilizations might be interested in such a thing, so here is the extra reactions:

Just make a new text file called reaction_standard_leatherbeds, put it in your dwarf fortress/raw/objects. I decided that 8 was a good size for a bed, so smaller creatures take multiple hides to add up to 8, while larger creatures (elephants, dragons, and hydras specifically) actually create more than one bed per leather.

I had thought that product amounts greater than 100 worked as adding more than one item as well, but that does not appear to be the case and I'm too lazy to go back and fix them all at the moment. In any case, that little gaffe on my part just removes a slight amount of functionality and doesn't really hurt anything, so for the time being I'm going to leave it as is.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:07:03 am by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Dagoth Ur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal-hide Bedding
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 03:43:03 pm »

Do you actually have to specify each individual kind of leather? That's kind of a pain for what I'm working on, which involves almost none of the original creatures.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:13:38 pm »

I think so; you have to specify a type of leather for the reagent or it will take any kind, and you have to specify a type of leather for the product or you'll get leather with a boiling point of 0, which is instant death for the furnace operator as boiled materials' temperature is set to their boiling point and being shrouded in -10000 degree Farenheit clouds freezes creatures rapidly.

And believe me when I say that it was a pain to do with just the vanilla creatures that I did it with. That's the main reason why I didn't make it work with intelligent creatures or aquatic animals; it was already a hell of a lot of typing, even with copy-pasting the basic reaction template, to make all of these. Sadly, there's not really a better way of making abnormal-material items at the moment; supposedly, there will be a way to make for instance leather or cloth beds in a future version, but for now this sort of thing is the only known workaround.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Dagoth Ur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 04:27:05 pm »

Oh well. I've got a lot of typing ahead of me with adding all these language files anyway. A little more won't hurt. Thanks for enlightening me.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:45:59 pm »

you have to specify a type of leather for the reagent or it will take any kind

Why not just do that, and have it generate cow leather beds?  You won't be getting quality mods to the beds either, so the loss of material mod wouldn't be that bad.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 05:57:34 pm »

you have to specify a type of leather for the reagent or it will take any kind

Why not just do that, and have it generate cow leather beds?  You won't be getting quality mods to the beds either, so the loss of material mod wouldn't be that bad.
I could have done that, but I wanted to have different size creatures require different numbers of hides to make a bed, which required specific leather types. Also, there are creatures with much better material modifiers than cows, as well as some with worse, and I wanted to include those. I had considered making one "generic" bed that took any leather and spit out a cow leather bed and then a few "special" bed reactions that took the x5 and better mat-value creatures' leather, but decided against that as well.

Also, aesthetic reasons. It's prettier if you put in one type of leather and get something made from the same kind of leather out  :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 02:12:46 am »

This is a good thing :). I was thinking about it but I was too lazy to list most creatures so I've made a generic "stuffed leather" which led to "stuffed leather beds". Your approach is good and I bet it took some time :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:57:40 am »

Now imagine doing this after the Ark Project  :P. Also, yeah, I had the same "stuffed" idea. I also thought of "crude" and "tanned" as being decent false-animal-names.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 12:35:57 pm »

This is a good thing :). I was thinking about it but I was too lazy to list most creatures so I've made a generic "stuffed leather" which led to "stuffed leather beds". Your approach is good and I bet it took some time :).
It took about an hour and a half. Then I decided to make it its own reaction file, seperate from the original reaction_standard, so cut the whole thing to clipboard. Then I closed reaction_standard, made the new text file, went back into reaction_standard, copied the file definition (the stuff at the top before the first reaction), and promptly realized that I had just covered over all the stuff on my clipboard, which was otherwise lost, without previously putting it into the new text file  :-[ So yeah, three hours total.

Now imagine doing this after the Ark Project  :P. Also, yeah, I had the same "stuffed" idea. I also thought of "crude" and "tanned" as being decent false-animal-names.
Hopefully by the time the Ark Project becomes canon we'll not need stuff like this to get leather beds.  ;)

Still, with copy-pasting the majority of the reaction and the wiki open to show what creatures have odd callnames, it doesn't take terribly long per reaction. It just adds up over time.

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:18:51 pm »

Wow, this is a treasure! Nicely done :D
Too bad it's not possible to make one formula work for all animals though, so I can add Zoo animals. But this is already quite awesome ^^

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 09:14:04 pm »

Recently I've been playing with Frogwarrior's CatSplosion mod, but after finishing one fort, I decided that it wasn't challenging enough. So, for my new fort, I decided that I would build literally everything out of animal products, to fit cats' carnivorous natures.

To this end, I've been doing some modding. Specifically, I've made reactions to turn leather from every land-walking non-humanoid species in vanilla into beds, so you can make beds without using wood. I suspect that some people doing "primitive" or barbarian civilizations might be interested in such a thing, so here is the extra reactions:

Just make a new text file called reaction_standard_leatherbeds, put it in your dwarf fortress/raw/objects. I decided that 8 was a good size for a bed, so smaller creatures take multiple hides to add up to 8, while larger creatures (elephants, dragons, and hydras specifically) actually create more than one bed per leather.

I had thought that product amounts greater than 100 worked as adding more than one item as well, but that does not appear to be the case and I'm too lazy to go back and fix them all at the moment. In any case, that little gaffe on my part just removes a slight amount of functionality and doesn't really hurt anything, so for the time being I'm going to leave it as is.

What's the issue with PRODUCT? I'm not really following other than the values over 100 just need to be changed back to 100?

Also, could you check your PMs, Necro? :)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 09:58:08 pm »

What's the issue with PRODUCT? I'm not really following other than the values over 100 just need to be changed back to 100?

The issue is a minor one: I had wanted creatures of size 3, 5, 7, and 9+ to make more than one bed per reaction, so 3 size 3 creatures would make 1 full bed and leave "leftovers" in the smelter equal to 1/8 of a bed, so every 24 cat leathers would give you 25 beds instead of 24 for instance. This is possible to do, and I know how to do it, but I didn't do the surefire method I knew would work and tried something else.

See, the way a product line in a reaction (I'm saying this for the benefit of people who might not know) works like this. First is the PRODUCT tag, which tells the game that the line is what the reaction produces. The first number following this is the percentage of the product that would be made, so [PRODUCT:100 makes a full one, while [PRODUCT:20 makes 1/5 of one, and the reaction would give you one every 5 times you ran it. The third number is how many are produced, and after that tells the game what to actually make.

Now, I had tried doing [PRODUCT:112:1: for the aforementioned cat leather beds reaction, in the hope that the game would make 112% of one every reaction, thus giving you one bed immediately and saving 12% of one bed in the smelter so every 9th reaction would give you 2 beds instead of 1, but this doesn't work. It instead does not save any of the leftover material. The way to solve this is actually fairly simple, but requires a lot of typing; it involves adding another line with for instance [PRODUCT:12:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:LEATHER:CAT] for cat leather beds so that the game actually does make one full bed and saves 12% of another. Like I said, simple, but a lot of copy-pasting with slight editing to do.

Also, could you check your PMs, Necro? :)
Done; I'll be replying shortly. reply is sent.

Also, I noticed another, also minor and not-really-a-problem problem while I was going through for examples... Apparently when I was doing size 3 creatures, I decided that 3x3 is equal to 133% of 8. So, if you're going to go through and do my "fix" for me, make sure you don't perpetuate my mistake and instead make the bilou through white-handed gibbon entries such that they only give 112% of 1 bed instead of 133%. Because lack-of-sleep-addled me is bad at math  ::)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:03:20 pm by NecroRebel »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 03:02:58 am »

If those fixes are already being done, I'll just wait for that before adding it to my alternate bed file. so far I just have cloth beds in mine. leather beds that actualy carry  the name of the former animal AND takes into account their size! love it!

edit: it looks like the smaller animals still just have 100 as the percentage. did you mean for this to be lower? nm I get it now, i need sleep its 3 am here :o
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:10:15 am by Bloogonis »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 03:10:40 am »

This thread is relevant to my interests. Beds made entirely of wood are sort of weird anyway.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 03:55:11 am »

You could make an animal called a "generic animal", "mixed animal", or "mixed fur" that doesn't appear anywhere.

Then, you can have your reaction accept any kind of leather and spit out a "mixed fur bed."

The only slight problem is you have to fudge relative animal sizes and occasionally dwarves will like "mixed furs for their variety" but this saves on having to include a reaction for every animal.

Edit: nevermind, someone posted this idea before me. In any case, what I would worry about is the fact that there appears to be a cap on the number of smelter reactions that can exist, and thus to combine a bed mod with other custom reaction heaving mods would cause some to be dropped.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:57:45 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: [1] 2 3