Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shaostoul's 20x20 Tileset  (Read 3000 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's 20x20 Tileset
« on: January 10, 2010, 12:48:43 am »

I've done some more updating! I decided to go a different route with the walls. I changed up the barrels to something that I like a bit more. Floor tiles are changed around. Curious what you guys think of the walls. LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINION ABOUT THEM!!! A few changes here and there. OH! I fixed the doors as well so you can see granite ones for example.

Hope you guys enjoy it, any ideas for changes are welcome.

Here for your enjoyment is three examples!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:03:35 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Tileset question (Autodesk)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 08:11:06 am »

from what I know of Sketchbook (precious little as I can't code within it) it's not really an image editor, you'd probably be better off with gimp or photoshop.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:42:05 am »

Sketchbook is more or less photoshop as far as I can tell, doesn't seem to be as advanced, but it can use layers and all of that...

Also a question... I've made my first tile set, I'm trying to get it INTO the game now and all the text has a background color of like gray or red or w/e...

I'm guessing I did the colors wrong. But I remember hearing about transparency and can't seem to find out how to work it into the tileset. Ideas?

If you want I can upload my new tileset.

-edit-

I just tried inverting the colors, seemed to make things better, but all the white space became black space on the png image.

So I don't have any digging designations show anything, it's just black.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:57:30 am by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:25:37 am »

Actually I've made most tilesets in MSPaint. Any painting software works here.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:45:48 am »

I had sketchbook myself as well, but cant say I've made a tileset with it before.
If I recall you can just edit the options in the layer to choose how transparent it is, or otherwise change your brush to make things semi transparent ect.

Make sure its being saved as a 32 bit image so it has alpha channels I think.. I cant say I remember much about transparencies and formats.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:20:08 pm »

Remember that for bmp tilesets and creature graphics, you have to use magenta for transparent areas. For designations and such, the game inverts the alpha channel. You have to have some transparent areas to see designations.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 03:50:59 pm »

I am using PNG just to get that out.

The PNG images are 32-bit though aren't they?

Is the trick to use lighter text instead of say black?

Also, on MikeMayday's tile set it has like a brownish colored background for the tile set. Does that just tint everything that color?

Why would the background of the text be say all red or all blue in the title screen?

-edit-

I can't seem to figure out how to have it so I can see anything that is designated, it's just... black.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:29:08 pm by Shaostoul »

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 05:46:21 pm »

I am using PNG just to get that out.

The PNG images are 32-bit though aren't they?

Is the trick to use lighter text instead of say black?

Also, on MikeMayday's tile set it has like a brownish colored background for the tile set. Does that just tint everything that color?

Why would the background of the text be say all red or all blue in the title screen?

-edit-

I can't seem to figure out how to have it so I can see anything that is designated, it's just... black.

unless there's a picture example of what you're saying, i'm guessing you're using the default tileset mayday had in the .ini when you download the package clean.  which the answer your stated issue is caused by incomplete transparency, it makes a full square teh color of teh tile the game reads/sets.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 05:58:44 pm »

-Edit-

Moved post to the top, got to a decent point, would love any ideas, possible images, whatever.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:16:48 pm by Shaostoul »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Shaostoul's 20x20 Tileset
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:04:55 pm »

If you use a png with alpha channel(transparency), then you use transparency for the bg color. It is annoying to work with, but flexible.

If you use a png without an alpha channel, then you only get one intensity for BGcolor, where you put magenta.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 10:07:29 pm »

Uhm... how do I know whether or not there is an alpha channel? I'm using MSPaint right now, I'm assuming I have to install Photoshop?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 10:13:51 pm »

with Paint? I have no idea. It appears to have one though.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 10:22:39 pm »

I'm playing with the magenta thing. I get it all changed, but it seems to what to apply a magenta background to words and such...

it is 255 0 255 right?

-EDIT-

Alright, so I looked at my version of the magenta and the version of one of the originals and it appears to be lighter or something...

Also on MSPaint there is an option to "Transparent Selection" How is it you'd designate a background?

I'm not real good with the 2d stuff, but I'm really good at 3D heh.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:30:26 pm by Shaostoul »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 10:32:39 pm »

it means that paint is leaving the transparency channel in for some reason, so it's not bothering to check magenta.

Get a better drawing program, like the GIMP. (hmm, I forget if d# retains compatibility with bmps...but they can't have transparency, so that'd fix your problem)
Tilesets

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 10:41:35 pm »

Well changing it bmp worked, but now I have to go and change all the previous black spots to white and crap... -sigh-

Wish I had a better understanding for this crap.

I'll try getting gimp or photoshop installed.

Pages: [1] 2