Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816224 times)

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #870 on: January 26, 2010, 06:29:24 pm »

Steve, if you wouldn't mind a few suggestions:

Steve isn't reading this because of some people.

- It would help new players a lot if there was an option to start a game with pre-designed components (and maybe ships) and the same basic researched technologies every time. Tutorials will be easier to write if we didn't start with random technologies/shipyards etc.

There is. As you create a game, below the starting research points there are two boxes to tick, the top one to assign tech automatically (and if that is ticked) the second is to automatically design alot of ships based on those techs.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 26, 2010, 06:32:04 pm »

- It would help new players a lot if there was an option to start a game with pre-designed components (and maybe ships) and the same basic researched technologies every time. Tutorials will be easier to write if we didn't start with random technologies/shipyards etc.

That would mean that the extra RP and starting shipyard would have to be static and not based on population.  It is implementable with an extra checkbox and some code change... but it takes work and a will to implement something so trivial(in my opinion) in the first place...

There is no single 'best' tech-line after-all.... each and everyone shines and fails somewhere...

Also... suggestions shouldn't go here...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 26, 2010, 06:59:09 pm »

Also, I didn't even know they made monitors smaller than ~1280x~1024 anymore... sheesh, and I thought my work monitor (that) had a low max resolution...

1280x1024 was a nonstandard resolution that somehow became very common on CRT monitors before they were killed by LCD's, and early LCD's mimiced them by using 1024x768 or 1280x1024 as native resolution depending on size and price range.

The last couple of years, a larger and larger share of monitors sold on the consumer market are widescreen. Depending on price range the widescreen resolution has typically been a max of 1366x768 or 1600x900, only lately have full-hd monitors (1920x1080) become generally affordable. Non-widescreen monitors are now pretty much only marketed for office use. So it's not strange at all that reaching 1280x1024 is difficult for many. Basically, if you have a 1280x1024 native monitor then it's likely starting to get old already.
I seeee....
I guess you explained it well. My primary is 1600x1200 which i got ...2 years ago. My secondary is 1280x1024 which I got 6 years ago for $200. So... why are they trending to worse resolutions?

Your words are inflammatory, and your points are ineptly constructed strawmen and misdirection.
? How is 'Steve is awesome for chewing out ungrateful brats' inflammatory or misdirecting?  ::)
The guy shows up to messages like these:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and explains literally every single 'problem' with justification, only to be attacked by the same jerks who are now claiming Steve's response as 'rude'... Wow...

Mind you, most people actively worked to get past problems in a polite manner, while some people even actively explained and justified Steve's situation, or pointed out how mean some people were being, Props to Magnnus, x2yzh9, Areyar, to name a few;

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 26, 2010, 07:04:33 pm »

Also, I didn't even know they made monitors smaller than ~1280x~1024 anymore... sheesh, and I thought my work monitor (that) had a low max resolution...

Some of us haven't upgraded our monitors in ~8 years!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LostEnder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 26, 2010, 07:17:18 pm »

I think the vast majority of the screen resolution issues were related to people who were on laptops. Most desktop monitors can be tricked into displaying the larger resolutions via software, afaik, but laptops seem to be hit or miss.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 26, 2010, 07:57:53 pm »

First post back here in ages and still only have access to my laptop than desktop. Was across the entire damn country.

So I guess my question is, what are people using to fix the resolution issue? 360desktop doesn't work as it's sidescroll rather than vertical and installed what malwarebytes anti-malware termed as a "display hijack", so I quickly got rid of that.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 26, 2010, 08:30:44 pm »

A program called ResizeEnable. I have not used it though, so I cannot help on how to use it.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 26, 2010, 08:39:11 pm »

A program called ResizeEnable. I have not used it though, so I cannot help on how to use it.

While a nice work-around, it requires a massive amount of "fiddling". I used the program on my netbook, resolution 1280x800. Just resizing the Y-axis would make the window fit, but it would make the buttons at the buttom of the windows disappear. And you need those buttons. So, you really are forced to grab a bigger monitor and/or pc. I managed to get my desktop running again and as such, can start mucking about in Aurora.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 26, 2010, 08:41:55 pm »

I'll try resizeEnable, no dice on another program called desktop zoom.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 26, 2010, 10:09:11 pm »

Can anyone tell me where the radiation level is?

I'm looking at the Population and Productivity page, and the tutorial tells me to look for radiatation levels here....but i see none.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 26, 2010, 10:21:18 pm »

Isn't that in either the environment or summary tabs?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 26, 2010, 10:24:55 pm »

I think it's under the environment tab.  Underneath all the other info. 
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 26, 2010, 10:36:58 pm »

Hmmm...

This is very interesting. I haven't read through this whole topic, so I'm sorry if it's been mentioned. I installed 4.91, and when I click "New Game", I don't get this 'big screen' that the tutorials keep talking about.

I see options for max systems, local system gen chance, spread, password, etc. It looks exactly the same as the starting window that says Nemesis.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 26, 2010, 11:16:12 pm »

That's odd, i had the same problem but that was because i downloaded an old version.

Did you download the full 4.91 version, or the patch?

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 26, 2010, 11:34:21 pm »

4.91 full. I'll uninstall and reinstall.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 1347