Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816219 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #855 on: January 25, 2010, 08:23:45 am »

Heh, I have a scientist named Adam Savage. He's good for nothing research-wise, but has a high political reliability score. I love the RNG sometimes.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 25, 2010, 10:09:34 am »

dam i went through all that trouble for nothing. At least i can have version 4.91 now

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 25, 2010, 03:08:10 pm »

Oh and if yer still using the fighters in the fight it may be more effective to split them off into another task force so that they can use their speed to their full advantage.  Oh and remember to actually launch them too.  I think there is more than 1 way to do it, but I just go to the fighters' ship screens and push the 'launch' button.  I think 'release' on the carrier's screen will do that as well for all of them at once.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 25, 2010, 03:10:11 pm »

Ok before id ownload this game, are their any cruicial parts of the interface i should know about?

Like in DF, i was able to learn with the "k" key, which showed me what everything was. Anything important like that?

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 25, 2010, 03:35:50 pm »

Yes, there's a drop down menu to select what system you want to view, it took me quite a while to find that. The rest is fairly obvious.
The main stuff, anyway. Some of the details can be hard to find.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 25, 2010, 04:11:10 pm »

The system map screen gives you access to most of the windows you'll use ingame with the buttons across the top.  I consider it to be the game's main screen, the game dosn't start with it up though.

It's under Empire>System Map.   Or just F2 F3.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:28:25 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 25, 2010, 04:53:25 pm »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 25, 2010, 06:13:17 pm »

The system map screen gives you access to most of the windows you'll use ingame with the buttons across the top.  I consider it to be the game's main screen, the game dosn't start with it up though.

It's under Empire>System Map.   Or just F2.
You mean F3  ;D.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 25, 2010, 06:22:55 pm »

...............the full 4.91 download wont work T-T

EDIT: Nvm, works on firefox
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 06:25:02 pm by Micro102 »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 26, 2010, 12:56:21 pm »

Shame my laptop's graphic card doesn't seem to support anything bigger than 1280x800.

Placed it on another computer, and this is increadibly confusing. Is there any way to learn this easily? I know steve wrote some tutorials, but they can be a little verbose. One day, it would be nice to write a word file that could teach people the game.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 26, 2010, 01:18:08 pm »

Shame my laptop's graphic card doesn't seem to support anything bigger than 1280x800.

Placed it on another computer, and this is increadibly confusing. Is there any way to learn this easily? I know steve wrote some tutorials, but they can be a little verbose. One day, it would be nice to write a word file that could teach people the game.

Do what i do keep the wiki up and the forum then search your question if you don't find it randomly press it(or them) and see what it do.

really the most confusing part is designing ships.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 26, 2010, 04:51:22 pm »

Well, I finally got around to trying this game... and by trying it I mean installing it and launching it last night before going to bed... the actually 'playing' will come tonight, hopefully.

After reading much of this thread I just gotta say Steve is my new hero. It was fun to watch him tell off a bunch of whiny kiddies. Most of these same whiners would be first in line to flame someone for saying DF is a poorly HORRIBLY designed game, which it is... but, we all got used to it and its fine now. Toady doesn't even entertain usability suggestions at all/anymore... much less graphical enhancements.
Also, I didn't even know they made monitors smaller than ~1280x~1024 anymore... sheesh, and I thought my work monitor (that) had a low max resolution...

Oh well, I look forward to playing this free game. And if I do not like it, I'll be sure to demand my money back  ;D... But I sure as heck won't whine and moan like a two year old, accusing the guy of giving me a free, non-commercial game at his own expense but not taking the extra time to write (and update) an all encompassing manual.

+1 for steve!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 26, 2010, 05:27:27 pm »

Also, I didn't even know they made monitors smaller than ~1280x~1024 anymore... sheesh, and I thought my work monitor (that) had a low max resolution...

1280x1024 was a nonstandard resolution that somehow became very common on CRT monitors before they were killed by LCD's, and early LCD's mimiced them by using 1024x768 or 1280x1024 as native resolution depending on size and price range.

The last couple of years, a larger and larger share of monitors sold on the consumer market are widescreen. Depending on price range the widescreen resolution has typically been a max of 1366x768 or 1600x900, only lately have full-hd monitors (1920x1080) become generally affordable. Non-widescreen monitors are now pretty much only marketed for office use. So it's not strange at all that reaching 1280x1024 is difficult for many. Basically, if you have a 1280x1024 native monitor then it's likely starting to get old already.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 26, 2010, 05:34:26 pm »

After reading much of this thread I just gotta say Steve is my new hero. It was fun to watch him tell off a bunch of whiny kiddies. Most of these same whiners would be first in line to flame someone for saying DF is a poorly HORRIBLY designed game, which it is... but, we all got used to it and its fine now. Toady doesn't even entertain usability suggestions at all/anymore... much less graphical enhancements.

Oh well, I look forward to playing this free game. And if I do not like it, I'll be sure to demand my money back  ;D... But I sure as heck won't whine and moan like a two year old, accusing the guy of giving me a free, non-commercial game at his own expense but not taking the extra time to write (and update) an all encompassing manual.

+1 for steve!
Your words are inflammatory, and your points are ineptly constructed strawmen and misdirection.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 05:43:34 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #869 on: January 26, 2010, 06:17:41 pm »

Man, this game makes Dwarf Fortress look like a walk in the park.

But once I got over the sheer mind-freezing complexity, I think I'm starting to get it. Which is nice, because it really sounds like an awesome game/simulation/thing. Almost like what Spore space mode should have been.  :P

Steve, if you wouldn't mind a few suggestions:

- It would help new players a lot if there was an option to start a game with pre-designed components (and maybe ships) and the same basic researched technologies every time. Tutorials will be easier to write if we didn't start with random technologies/shipyards etc.

- It really bugs me that all of the planet icons in the Sol system are randomly assigned. My Earth looked like Mars and Jupiter and Saturn were the same light blue circle. I know you can manually change them but... ack!

I'll have more feedback when I've actually advanced time more than 1 minute.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 1347