Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817021 times)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #735 on: January 20, 2010, 06:31:05 pm »

Fun Fact:

Marines complain even before they finish loading into Dropships.  That is if you don't add loading things, taking 10 days.

About 4-7 days in, they start complaining.

Fun Fact 2: Dropship speed of 18000 vs 10000 speed is not big enough of a difference for a safe boarding party.
I'd wager a marine impacting the enemy ship at a 8000 km/s differential speed is bound to do some damage!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 20, 2010, 08:10:58 pm »

Well I think that a ship firing marine modules would be trying to match speed with the target to minimize casualties instead of just launching them at the target ship at full speed and hoping for the best.

Having a faster ship means that you'll be more successful at doing that properly because ship maneuverability and speed seem to be the same thing in all respects.  Having a faster ship means you can outmaneuver the enemy ship to get your marines where they need to go at the proper speed to not kill them all.  The ships realistically are probably going the same speed as each-other during the boarding attempts. 

It wouldn't surprise me if boarding attempts only become feasible at twice target speed or more.  They're not going to just sit there and let you fire such a relatively slow moving object at them if they know what it is, they're going to evade it completely or if that's not possible, maybe slam on their brakes so it hits too fast.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 20, 2010, 08:13:31 pm »

Thats not the problem.  Entirely missing the target is though.
Or losing 95% of a company due to inaccuracy...  And what Greiger said.

I'll have to work on my boarding capability...  Boarding parties need some microwave support I suspect...

That is going to be my tactic against the first precursors I see... what better way to give a big FU to a superior race then sending in a swarm of dropships launching about 20 marine companies... or better yet battalions... after hitting em with microwave tech...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 20, 2010, 09:26:03 pm »

Thats not the problem.  Entirely missing the target is though.
Or losing 95% of a company due to inaccuracy...  And what Greiger said.

I'll have to work on my boarding capability...  Boarding parties need some microwave support I suspect...

That is going to be my tactic against the first precursors I see... what better way to give a big FU to a superior race then sending in a swarm of dropships launching about 20 marine companies... or better yet battalions... after hitting em with microwave tech...

20x Target Speed has 100% success rate.  It goes down from there.  So disabled/vastly slowed targets are the best option. Microwaves don't damage engines as they are not classified as electronics.  (Good idea though)

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 21, 2010, 03:50:31 am »

So I have a fleet of many ships, and I just detected an unknown thermal signature of 2999 on a sol jump point.

How should I proceed, I have no met any alien civs yet and I do not have any civilian ships yet.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 21, 2010, 04:23:52 am »

Fire all missiles!!!!

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 21, 2010, 06:09:09 am »

Now I need to figure how to do battle.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 21, 2010, 09:02:21 am »

It would be so much more scary if the aliens sometimes came in peace...
One day AI will be able to see other views than the zero-sum game. ;)

Against the 52 800kt precursors.
I'm going to use a mass (16) of cheap ships armed with a shitload (40) of oneshot launchers supported by some sensor destroyers and gauss boats.
Against other ships than these ultrafast ships the missileboats will be woefully inadequate, but I want their worlds. The boats will either be refitted with magazines or relagated to antimissile support.
I've got designs for colliers and tankers, but no free yards to build them in.

I am sure going to backup my DB before commencing the battle.
Got no clue what I'm doing yet! :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 21, 2010, 09:33:08 am »

Semi useful Combat tips:
*Try to change targets as little as possible.  Every time you switch the firecontrol has a short delay (15 to 20 seconds in my experience) before it can begin firing again.  Not so harmful on slow reloading missile launchers, very harmful on fast firing energy weapons.

* Remember to tell your PD weapons to open fire.  They won't shoot otherwise.  And in my experience the final defensive fire settings are better than area defense.  Final defensive fire shoots off one last shot no matter weapon readying delay.  Area Defense the weapons need to be readied before they will intercept.  Which is often too late.

* The PD mode settings seem funky.  After setting them they'll seem to not work, but don't worry they did.  If you want to be sure The weapons and fire control assignments summary will tell you what fire mode they are in.

* Remember to assign fire control to all of your weapons.  And it may be helpful to have your long range energy weapons on a separate fire control.  It could be possible for your long range guns to be the only thing capable of hitting a target in those cases you could set your shorter range guns to hit something closer.

* Laser damage drops off significantly as they approach their max range.  In my experience they become mostly ineffective beyond half of their maximum range.

* Ships cannot fire or use active sensors for a good 20 to 30 seconds immediately after a jump.  This makes jump points like World War 1 trenches.  Jumping directly into combat is a significant disadvantage for the jumping side.  Combat transit may reduce this time.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 21, 2010, 10:42:41 am »

Do i just need to dump my engineering brigade on a planet with runins after ive been thier with a xenology team?.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 21, 2010, 10:55:36 am »

...Combat transit may reduce this time.
I haven't done a combat transit, but I was thinking it may be related to the "maximum distance" jump tech. When jumping it tries to dump you as far out as possible so you're not directly in the sights of any picketing ships. Or it may be the distance you can enter a jump point from, I'm not sure what it said.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 21, 2010, 11:12:57 am »

As for switching targets, my current missileboats can fire several volleys at once, each targeted with a separate MGS. But they fire just once. reload times are huge as the reloads have to come from a colliership. ;)

Good advice in general. :)

Unless I underestimate these precursors, I'll be assigning a single salvo of 20 missiles per FACS. as there are 52 of them. Those that survive will be shredded by my gaussturrets. (intentionally using no lasers and such for roleplay purposes, even the missiles are a deviation from the paradigm)
. . . I was panning on taking twice as many missile ships, but the war effort is bankrupting our state, so political haggling has led to budgetcuts. :P

Also, losing several of my expensive surveyships, with all associated experienced wetware, by ambush. a moratorium has been established: survey is now only allowed following initial scouting by remote buoys launched by scouts.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 21, 2010, 11:16:06 am »

Try to change targets as little as possible.  Every time you switch the firecontrol has a short delay (15 to 20 seconds in my experience) before it can begin firing again.  Not so harmful on slow reloading missile launchers, very harmful on fast firing energy weapons.
Far as I understand it (I haven't been able to verify this yet), Task Force training and a good Operations officer should be able to reduce those delays. Not that that helps when you're already staring at enemy missiles.

Do i just need to dump my engineering brigade on a planet with runins after ive been thier with a xenology team?.
Yep, once the Xeno team has done its work, the engineers can begin theirs. You'll get occasional messages that show what the engineers uncovered (or that they failed to recover something) in the event log. Do note that engineer brigades are larger than other ground forces, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 21, 2010, 11:43:33 am »

Try to change targets as little as possible.  Every time you switch the firecontrol has a short delay (15 to 20 seconds in my experience) before it can begin firing again.  Not so harmful on slow reloading missile launchers, very harmful on fast firing energy weapons.
Far as I understand it (I haven't been able to verify this yet), Task Force training and a good Operations officer should be able to reduce those delays. Not that that helps when you're already staring at enemy missiles.

Yep, once the Xeno team has done its work, the engineers can begin theirs. You'll get occasional messages that show what the engineers uncovered (or that they failed to recover something) in the event log. Do note that engineer brigades are larger than other ground forces, though.

Yes it was me missing  the event. btw they take up 5 troop bay
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 1347