Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817201 times)

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #585 on: January 16, 2010, 06:05:30 pm »

It's always a trade off, it should have a ridiculous recharge/reload time and require a lot of tech/materials.

@MrWiggles: I need to cheat and see how levels of missile range compare to laser range late-game. From what I see so far missile range is far greater than lasers at the same level of tech.

And thats only one stage rockets; you can make multi-stage rockets that can fly across the whole system.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 16, 2010, 06:07:27 pm »

So I wonder if you can put MIRV missiles inside of MIRV missiles inside of MIRV missiles inside of MIRV missiles

That would be... uhm...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 16, 2010, 06:14:02 pm »

Really, missiles are the ultimate weapon in this game - everything else works to counter it- other missiles, lasers, CIWS.

The problem with missiles are:
They require space on the ship
They need to be built/require materials

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 16, 2010, 06:15:31 pm »

Yeah, so it all evens out. This has me curious about torpedoes though... I'll have to look into those...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:33:01 pm by OzyTheSage »

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 16, 2010, 06:29:41 pm »

So I wonder if you can put MIRV missiles inside of MIRV missiles inside of MIRV missiles inside of MIRV missiles

That would be... uhm...

I think you can.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 16, 2010, 06:30:51 pm »

Hrm.... Installing FreeBSD seems to risky to do on my one and only computer for the near future, now to look for other window emulator to play this game. Let see if I can find a pcguest serial number.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 16, 2010, 06:33:00 pm »

Okay, I really want to learn how to play this game.  So I'm making an honest effort at learning how to do stuff, but it's not making it easy for me.

For one thing, I keep getting these "Error 713" and "Error 93" messages when I click on certain stuff.  I don't think that's preventing me from telling ships to go places, but it sounds like a problem all the same.  I haven't seen anything else about it here.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 16, 2010, 06:46:13 pm »

You'll get those errors occasionally, especially in the Research panel for some reason.  They don't visibly hurt the game or anything, though, so it's probably nothing to worry about.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 16, 2010, 06:48:50 pm »

Restarted with the new version.  Doing significantly better now that I know a little better what I'm doing.  My grav survey ships have jump drives, my geo survey ships have massive fuel tanks to help with all the asteroids and moons and junk they need to fly around and survey, my jump gate constructors now have better construction modules, I have a small fleet of terraforming ships terraforming a suitable neighbor planet in my home system, I have ships in alien systems at 2027 (started 2025) and the first one I encountered is a 3 star system with no less than 5 suitable planets.

Hopefully my combat ships are better designed now too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And yea I think you can put mult-stage missiles as stages for multistage missiles.  I almost did for my HX scatterswarms.  But I figured all the tiny missiles packed into that were already enough of a http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MacrossMissileMassacre
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 16, 2010, 06:52:34 pm »

I've started a new game, and discovered ruins in Lacaille 256[One jump from Alpha Centauri, wich is again one jump from Sol] and after 3 years i discovered they were named the Kingdom of Sol Lous. The planet is somewhat habitable, at 2x colony cost. Maybe it got nuked? Hopefully i'll come upon them, since i have their language already translated from the dig.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 16, 2010, 06:53:48 pm »

You'll get those errors occasionally, especially in the Research panel for some reason.  They don't visibly hurt the game or anything, though, so it's probably nothing to worry about.

Hooray for more awesomely bad design.  I can't remember a game that ever inspired me to rag on it as much as this mess.  I've been sitting here for two hours reading three different tutorials just trying to make ships move.  Finally I decided to just start over, but the program can't even start a new game correctly.  I go through the new game process from the main menu, and then it just loads the game I was playing before anyway.

You really couldn't do a worse job of making a program and have it still run.  Even when it works properly it's inhumanly unintuitive.  I wouldn't believe it was actually playable if this thread wasn't here with people talking about the stuff they're doing, which just makes me more angry because I know I'm not too stupid to figure this out.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 16, 2010, 06:56:40 pm »

Why do you have so many fire control on the troll class?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 16, 2010, 06:58:19 pm »

If it helps any Aquizzar most of what I learned came from reading one tutorial, part of an AAR and copious amounts of trial and error.

Hell, I still don't know how to use ground units at all, I have a civilian spaceport that I have no idea how to make use of, and actual combat is a vague mystery because I haven't encountered anything that wants to kill me with electric death.

@Wiggles Because I built specific fire controls for each class of missile.  It struck me as probably a silly way to go about it after they were designed and recearched, but at least this way the thing could target all the little targets it would ever want and I can be reasonably sure of what ranges I can design my missiles fore compared to size.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:01:19 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 16, 2010, 07:00:32 pm »

Not to be a stickler, but Cruisers are way bigger than that stuff you're using right now.  I'd put you more in the destroyer range.

Not to be a stickler, of course.
Shoes...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 16, 2010, 07:10:34 pm »

Noted, at least that's easy to fix.  I don't know the first thing about navy designations or anything like that.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 1347