Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817249 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #570 on: January 16, 2010, 02:59:28 pm »

TERRAFORMING DRONES

OMG IT'S THE XENON RACE !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%C2%B3:_Terran_Conflict
RESEARCH ITS WORTH IT, OTHERWISE U DAI NAU

--
Forgot to say, I can't colonize mars this time :(
Gravity..
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:01:39 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 16, 2010, 03:04:00 pm »

I love space games, I really do. But.. this game seems waaay too massive for me to get into. :(
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 16, 2010, 03:11:10 pm »

I love space games, I really do. But.. this game seems waaay too massive for me to get into. :(

When will people understand that anything that lets you build, colonize, trade and kill deserves to be played?

Don't wait until you are dead to realize that this is the meaning of life.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 16, 2010, 03:21:07 pm »

Hmm.

I just updated to 4.81 and now when npr's are fighting my sub pulse is forces to their sub pulse.

Now I've downgraded to 4.80 and I can force it again.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 16, 2010, 03:27:32 pm »

Well I'm enjoying 4.81 :D

Now building more RLs, only 5 RLs make me feel like crawling in 2055..
Soon I'll be out of Sol, muahaha

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 16, 2010, 04:22:28 pm »

You need to unload I believe, because it takes some time before completing a survey on the ground..
But I may be wrong.

Yep it will usually take a couple of years for a full survey. From what I've gathered, for each survey team on each 5-day period there is a small chance that the survey is completed. In addition there is a small chance to find a deposit of minerals with another check made to see if that is the last of what is on the planet if minerals were found.

From what I've seen the probabilities are modified by the size of the body being surveyed, ie tending to find more deposits on larger bodies.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 16, 2010, 04:25:42 pm »

My main criticism of the game is that the tutorial is booooring.

He spends far too long explaining how things work and not long enough telling how to do things. I don't need to know all the calculations you use and appropriate examples. Just tell me the general effect of my actions! Seems like the tutorials rather than being a begginers guide to the game try to squeeze to wiki into a few pages.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 16, 2010, 04:32:38 pm »

You don't have to understand everything for couple of games.
When creating new game make universe of just couple systems without any life then chose in the Starting empire parameters "conventional empire" give "number of starting resarch facilities at least 15" "and starting tech points 0".
You will have to resarch and design everything by yourself (use tutorials), learn to make and use task forces, assign captains...
Concentrate on small goals like building a shuttle with trans-newton engines, geosurvey moon, create colony on mars... ...don't have to conquer 500 system universe in first play. 
Read steves fiction specially Trans newton campaign. (Part 1-5 are fascinating and partially disturbing...part 6 is fucking terrifying.) It will give you inspiration and teaches you many usefull stuff.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 16, 2010, 05:08:34 pm »

Fiiine I'll give this a try. I meet all the system requirements anyways.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 16, 2010, 05:18:47 pm »

You don't have to understand everything for couple of games.
When creating new game make universe of just couple systems without any life then chose in the Starting empire parameters "conventional empire" give "number of starting resarch facilities at least 15" "and starting tech points 0".
You will have to resarch and design everything by yourself (use tutorials), learn to make and use task forces, assign captains...
Concentrate on small goals like building a shuttle with trans-newton engines, geosurvey moon, create colony on mars... ...don't have to conquer 500 system universe in first play. 
Read steves fiction specially Trans newton campaign. (Part 1-5 are fascinating and partially disturbing...part 6 is fucking terrifying.) It will give you inspiration and teaches you many usefull stuff.

The TNT story campaign is wonderful, it really kept me on my seat, and so far the best bit of sci fi I read this year. It has no conclusion, just FYI. It doesn't end on a cliff hangar though. It serves as this wondrous narrative tutorial. A lot of the story element were derived from the game itself, the expanded diplomacy actions were all fictitious and can't be readily duplicated in the game itself.

I was really going to be interested in the *spoiler* in the san fransico dust cloud potential conflicts, that was really going to prove a tactical challenge for the terran commonwealth, also the *spoiler* was in office for like 15+ years at the end, that way over due for an *spoiler*.

I wish I knew why the Terran Commonwealth didn't try to terraform *spoiler* from its nuclear wasteland. Maybe there arent enough mineral left to make it worthwhile or maybe its serving as a reminder.

When is the terran commonwealth going to stop with the missiles, missiles everything. (Although it appears steve in general likes missiles, as his other stories, all his ship are missiles heavy.)

He made these FAC craft for system defense, they were armed with missiles, when they should still have the fire control from for meson from *spoiler* and *spoiler* as well as quad meson cannons. The range shouldn't be an issue since it design to get in close and wail on the oppenent ship.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 16, 2010, 05:20:46 pm »

Fiiine I'll give this a try. I meet all the system requirements anyways.

Heh, your a minority then. You think a game with only one system requirement would be more accessible.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 16, 2010, 05:24:32 pm »

Well, in this game missiles have all the range. :( I'm somewhat disappointed you can't fire off an unblockable/un-missile-defensible projectile extremely fast at long range but require a load of power and reload extremely slowly. (sniper ship anyone?)

Railguns still have crap range in Aurora. If you want close combat, a ship has to be extremely fast armed to the teeth with missile defense, which makes it slow :(

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 16, 2010, 05:34:29 pm »

Well, in this game missiles have all the range. :( I'm somewhat disappointed you can't fire off an unblockable/un-missile-defensible projectile extremely fast at long range but require a load of power and reload extremely slowly. (sniper ship anyone?)

Railguns still have crap range in Aurora. If you want close combat, a ship has to be extremely fast armed to the teeth with missile defense, which makes it slow :(

I've seen some laser with 120m km range and an ROF of 10 seconds.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 16, 2010, 05:59:04 pm »

I'm somewhat disappointed you can't fire off an unblockable/un-missile-defensible projectile extremely fast at long range but require a load of power and reload extremely slowly.

Sounds like an overpowered weapon. It would suck to lose because some guy has some weapon that you can't possibly win against, ever...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 16, 2010, 06:03:15 pm »

It's always a trade off, it should have a ridiculous recharge/reload time and require a lot of tech/materials.

@MrWiggles: I need to cheat and see how levels of missile range compare to laser range late-game. From what I see so far missile range is far greater than lasers at the same level of tech.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 1347