Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817330 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #495 on: January 15, 2010, 10:06:38 pm »

Alright so I currently have 2 fleets with 5 ships each all equipped with mining components.

How do I get the ships to mine?

Press F9 to get to the system bodies window.

Look for the desired body, if you wish you could click on a check box to show asteroids and comets.
Click "ADD COLONY".
Order your mining fleets to Orbit the colony.

Get freighters to move a mass driver to the colony, or order your freighters to get the minerals back to your desired 'main' colony.

Also, mining ships doesn't require cargo bays, just in case you put them on.

EDIT -
Wow my military/TF organization looks nice and I'm not even into space yet...haha
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:11:20 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 15, 2010, 10:11:14 pm »

Ships don't mine.  You build mines via the industry tab in the economy section, pick them up with cargo ships, and deliver them to the body in question.

No, you can research a mining component to put on your ships. I already know that, I have 3 off world colonies already, 2 of them mining colonies.

Alright so I currently have 2 fleets with 5 ships each all equipped with mining components.

How do I get the ships to mine?

Press F9 to get to the system bodies window.

Look for the desired body, if you wish you could click on a check box to show asteroids and comets.
Click "ADD COLONY".
Order your mining fleets to Orbit the colony.

Get freighters to move a mass driver to the colony, or order your freighters to get the minerals back to your desired 'main' colony.

Thank you!

Also, mining ships doesn't require cargo bays, just in case you put them on

Shit.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 15, 2010, 10:13:20 pm »

NP, hahaha, I also almost made the same mistake as you with the cargo bays.

You can just take them off in the design window, I don't know if Steve removed the "Ships auto-refitting" bug, if he did so..You'll have to move everyone back to your shipyards so they can be refitted (take off those cargo bays! :) )
If the bug is still there..they'll just vanish.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 15, 2010, 10:15:41 pm »

NP, hahaha, I also almost made the same mistake as you with the cargo bays.

You can just take them off in the design window, I don't know if Steve removed the "Ships auto-refitting" bug, if he did so..You'll have to move everyone back to your shipyards so they can be refitted (take off those cargo bays! :) )
If the bug is still there..they'll just vanish.

It turns out it wasn't a bug, but it has been moved to a space master feature.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 15, 2010, 10:18:40 pm »

Someone was asking how to turn active sensors ON. Open the combat screen, and be enlightened :D
I'm so happy that in my new game aliens aren't pissing each other off, so it flows at 30 day intervals finally.
I finally figured that out =). Alternatively it works if you go to the ships panel and activate them individually.

I guess I couldn't figure it out because I expected a ring to appear around them showing how far the sensor range was.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 15, 2010, 10:19:19 pm »

They can't just jettison the cargo bays?

That seems like it would be a safety feature.  A Gorn sneaks on and places a bomb, you jettison the cargo bays and save the ship.
Shoes...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:14 pm »

Well but that's weird.

Thinking in coding and design, I think I would do the same mistake anyway, and I'd put it as a SM feature too.

There was a game for DOS, I forgot it's name, that was 4x turn-based.
When you did any change to a ship design, all the ships you had would have a Obsolete "flag", and when you ordered them to get back to a planet, they'd get refitted.
It's more realistic, pisses you off if you make a design mistake (and that's a great thing AHAHA) etc. :D

--
Edit: I said it too early, aliens started eating each other and now my increments are all going at 5 seconds. *suicide*
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:24:22 pm by Gabeux »

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 15, 2010, 10:29:46 pm »

Well but that's weird.

Thinking in coding and design, I think I would do the same mistake anyway, and I'd put it as a SM feature too.

When you did any change to a ship design, all the ships you had would have a Obsolete "flag", and when you ordered them to get back to a planet, they'd get refitted.
It's more realistic, pisses you off if you make a design mistake (and that's a great thing AHAHA) etc. :D

--
Edit: I said it too early, aliens started eating each other and now my increments are all going at 5 seconds. *suicide*

You're most likely talking about the space empires I-V series.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 15, 2010, 10:30:25 pm »

Well but that's weird.

--
Use the automated turn feature.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 15, 2010, 10:35:10 pm »

Yeah, it started happening to me too. I hit the automation option, and let it go on. I've gone through days at five second intervals and there's no telling when it will stop.
!!&!!

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 15, 2010, 10:36:32 pm »

Set your sub pulse to 1 day minimum and then try it.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 15, 2010, 10:41:46 pm »

You're most likely talking about the space empires I-V series.

Aw, I really don't remember ._.

Set your sub pulse to 1 day minimum and then try it.
Yeah! Forgot about that =z Thanks man!

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #507 on: January 15, 2010, 10:42:20 pm »

I am trying to play with an experimental build to reduce the chance of being hit by slowdown. Basically I have started the game with no NPRs, however I have still ticked the box saying that the game can generate NPRs and I've increased the chance that an NPR will be spawned if I encounter a system with a suitable planet in it.

My reasoning is this: Initially while I build up and long before I mess with leaving my system I don't want to be slowed down, this is when I'll be spending most of my time accelerating through the years to get research done etc. Once I'm out and about in the galaxy I'll be moving time slower, so it doesn't matter if I encounter a few alien races and they go to war or not.

It will likely mean that I will be the most advanced at first contact, but I don't know. I'll let you know if the game generates the NPR at a random/comparable tech level and if it generates it with warships or not. But so far this set up has made a HUGE difference!

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 15, 2010, 10:46:36 pm »

I am trying to play with an experimental build to reduce the chance of being hit by slowdown. Basically I have started the game with no NPRs, however I have still ticked the box saying that the game can generate NPRs and I've increased the chance that an NPR will be spawned if I encounter a system with a suitable planet in it.

My reasoning is this: Initially while I build up and long before I mess with leaving my system I don't want to be slowed down, this is when I'll be spending most of my time accelerating through the years to get research done etc. Once I'm out and about in the galaxy I'll be moving time slower, so it doesn't matter if I encounter a few alien races and they go to war or not.

It will likely mean that I will be the most advanced at first contact, but I don't know. I'll let you know if the game generates the NPR at a random/comparable tech level and if it generates it with warships or not. But so far this set up has made a HUGE difference!

Why not just set the sub pulse length to 1 day. This forces the game to never go below 1 day.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 15, 2010, 10:51:50 pm »

Well I don't believe the sub pulse believe is working...my game is in a complete crawl right now :-\
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1347