Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817301 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #480 on: January 15, 2010, 07:56:08 pm »

Meh the game isn't THAT hard to figure out. And if you really need to know something read the wiki or the forum.

Anyway tip for people. Play without planet/moon orbit motion. It speeds it up SIGNIFICANTLY.

Double agree.
Really guys, I'm not trying to defend anyone here, but I read the tutorials and I'm handling myself very well. I don't believe the tutorials 'can't be read', english is not my native language and I understood everything.
Maybe the tutorials should be easier to find, maybe Aurora needs a real web page containing links to all stuff (much like the OP, which was great btw, and also the LINKS page on wiki), for players that simply stumbled on the game somehow.
The game has many details, Steve is working in the game and also writing the wiki, answering forums and etc, I don't expect anything to be done in a day and that's okay with me.

What I know is that combat needs a tutorial. I don't know what I'll do when I enter in a combat situation...after I played DF I can handle every obscure game there is somehow, but some more direct advice in this section would be greatly appreciated.

--
Hmm is there a way to change the Empire's name?
I forgot to  change it in the new game screen..  :-\

EDIT - Found it, it's on CTRL+F2 screen
EDIT2 - No, I couldn't change it... also, when I change the Empire's flag, the game crashes hard.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:09:14 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 15, 2010, 08:18:36 pm »

Wow I gave myself 5 research labs (instead of 2 in my another game), so I could catch up to the techs I lost, also time...now all my officers suck compared to my old ones. lawls
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 15, 2010, 08:25:06 pm »

is there any way to mine sorium out of gas gaints?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 15, 2010, 08:29:37 pm »

Once you research the necessary tech, you can build a mining vessel that extracts it.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 15, 2010, 08:40:23 pm »

I wouldn't advise researching that tech early in the game.
I had high hopes for it but it's mining rate is 10, you'd need a lot of ships to make something out of it and that requires time..
But I don't know at which point you're, so you'll know what's best for ya :]

Someone was asking how to turn active sensors ON. Open the combat screen, and be enlightened :D
I'm so happy that in my new game aliens aren't pissing each other off, so it flows at 30 day intervals finally.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 15, 2010, 08:44:30 pm »

God, attempting combat without a tutorial was so horrible. Like losing in DF but with spaceships that take years to create and lose thousands of men in an instant.

Click ship, click targeting system, what to target, fire... missiles everywhere!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 15, 2010, 08:45:29 pm »

the description of the tech (sorium harvester, right?) says it just fuels the ship... will it produce sorium too? or produce it after it fuels itself fully? will it need a cargo compartment?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 15, 2010, 08:50:20 pm »

I am thinking of installing freebsd to run window emulator to play this game. It doesn't need much in the constrains of CPU effort so the ass rapage that emulating an OS does, should be fine. I /really/ want to play this game. And then somehow resolved the screen issue. I don't consider my 1440x900 to be a small screen size.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 15, 2010, 08:51:24 pm »

It only produces fuel, like a mine and a refinery in one.  It's really only necessary if you've run out of easily-accessible Sorium and your fuel reserves are low.  If you really need it, build the harvester with some extra fuel tanks to store it, and maybe a Tanker type ship for collection.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 15, 2010, 08:55:34 pm »

I was thinking, anyone knows what the "R"s and "M"s stand for at the leaders [officers] screen?

R3 for TFs, R1 for some TF positions, M2 for other TFs positions etc..

I think R is RANK, but I don't know what M is..

--
I'm getting error 91 everytime I do a 30 day time increment, anyone getting the same? (v.4.81)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:02:23 pm by Gabeux »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 15, 2010, 09:08:16 pm »

my guess is that Rs are minimum ranks an officer must have, while Ms are maximum ranks.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 15, 2010, 09:30:58 pm »

Hmm Probably, thanks man! :D

Anyone noticed a better perfomance in the new version?
I don't know if it's because it's a new game in the first years, or anything...but it's a lot better now..

--

A tip: If you want to put your own increment, go to the F3 System Map, click on Sensor tab, look at the Player Specified Increment thingy.

Put 7777777 for a bit more than 3 months..that's what I use at least :]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:42:50 pm by Gabeux »

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 15, 2010, 09:47:29 pm »

I think the game's tutorials cover the basics fine, but anything beyond that, I can't really find in the wiki. So the problem is after you start up a game and learn to build ships and move them around, you're pretty much on your own. So it's slow until you learn yourself how everything works. Like how I'm currently trying to wrap my head around building attack ships.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 15, 2010, 10:01:49 pm »

Alright so I currently have 2 fleets with 5 ships each all equipped with mining components.

How do I get the ships to mine?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 15, 2010, 10:03:22 pm »

Ships don't mine.  You build mines via the industry tab in the economy section, pick them up with cargo ships, and deliver them to the body in question.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 1347