Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817524 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #405 on: January 14, 2010, 10:04:54 pm »

But that... doesn't work.  The Governor of Earth is unassigned, the guy I'm clicked on meets the required rank.  But I click the "Assign" button, and it just deselects the guy without doing anything.  Earth's Governor remains unassigned.

This confused me too. You must click the part where it says "earth" not the part where it says "unassigned'. I also don't think it matters if you click their name in the list on the right or the left before clicking Earth.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 14, 2010, 10:13:18 pm »

If you don't click a name it defaults to the guy on top, like when you choose scientists to lead research teams when you are choosing tech to research.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 14, 2010, 10:39:34 pm »

Click the guy's name far left column, then click the Earth middle column, then click "assign" bottom right, if that doesn't work then it's buggy on your end :/

Okay, that did finally say that he was promoted, although Earth is still labeled Unassigned.  I'm chalking this up to more awful design ethic.  This thing couldn't be less user friendly, it doesn't even really indicate when something is selected or not.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 14, 2010, 10:46:32 pm »

if it says Unassigned underneath Earth in the middle column, that's fine, that's the well... I suppose it's telling you that anyone with a grayed out name bar on the left column is unassigned. Click on the Name of the white-barred guy on the left and if it says Earth at the top under "Assignment" then you're all set.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 14, 2010, 11:03:44 pm »

Click the guy, click earth, click assign.
Should work.
If you click earth, guy, won't work.
If you click unassigned, guy, won't work.
--

I've got past my mineral shortages for a while.
Some crazy civ created a shipping company (I doesn't even have a REAL colony [with pop] anywhere, nor anything!).
I'm finishing my commercial spaceport, mining colonies are popping up everywhere and I'm trying to not be crazy so I can distribute Mass Drivers everywhere.

Also I'm finishing my 240 RP research, soon enough I'll have a DECENT mining/industry/research capacity, so I can get out of Earth REAL safely and rich....then onto other systems!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48:12 pm »

You also have to advance time at least 5 seconds after a promotion or assignment for it to take effect.  That kinda threw me off for awhile too.  There is supposed to be a button that does the assignments immediately, but that hasn't worked for me yet.

Promote knight to knight captain. Wait 5 seconds, promote knight captain to knight commander, wait 5 seconds, promote knight commander to marquis, wait 5 seconds, finally assign marquis to marquis only rank battlecriuser, wait 5 seconds.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:52:10 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 15, 2010, 12:37:37 am »

Finally got some pop on Mars and mineral situation is getting better, I don't know why but the only civilian shipping company launched 3 freighters that are standing still..
There are like 6 mining colonies, which 3 I'm buying resources/launching with mass drivers.

All you need to catch stuff is a Mass Driver in the destination planet, right?
I don't know if I'm doing this right, it doesn't show anything in "Mass Driver +/-", at the Mining tab..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 15, 2010, 01:24:31 am »

Finally got some pop on Mars and mineral situation is getting better, I don't know why but the only civilian shipping company launched 3 freighters that are standing still..
There are like 6 mining colonies, which 3 I'm buying resources/launching with mass drivers.

All you need to catch stuff is a Mass Driver in the destination planet, right?
I don't know if I'm doing this right, it doesn't show anything in "Mass Driver +/-", at the Mining tab..

The civilian transport companies will transfer cargo between your populated colonies. For me they've mainly transported infrastructure (Which they buy from the civilian sector in earth (trade goods))

If the mining colonies don't have any minerals left, then they've been mass drivered to earth. The "Mass Driver +/-" rarely shows anything (it seems to work only if the colony has just received/sent a packet).

Also the mineral packets can move very quickly (>70 000 km/s if they're really small) so you might not spot them on the system map. And they're not necessarily displayed so you might need to turn that on from the side panel in the system map.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #413 on: January 15, 2010, 01:36:44 am »

As Ametsala has said, mass driven mineral packets move at astonishing speeds (even when they're bigger, actually) so you may not see them unless they're being launched from the outer asteroid belt. They show up as yellow contacts.

On the year that the driver launches a packet the colony will show a negative number in the mass driver column, on the planet that receives it, the year after the packet arrives the planet will show a positive number in that column. This is how it works on mine.

I have not purchased any minerals from civilian mining colonies yet, I may have to in the future as Earth has long run out of any mineral resource and I'm currently surviving off Venus, some of Jupiter's moons, and asteroids, however the civilians have set up about 7 or 8 mining colonies so far, the largest of which has expanded to 10 mines. Unfortunately that one hasn't got any of the minerals I don't have access to on my own colonies but I may have to buy from them in the end... I'm hoping though, that by leaving the minerals for the civilian sector it will help a civilian shipping company start up. I don't have one yet so my colonies are entirely reliant on me for shipping infrastructure (and making it for that matter!)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 15, 2010, 02:42:31 am »

Yay! My first real combat ship!  I have yet to encounter enemies and it likely has 100 little components that don't make any sense but it's done, built, captained, and a pair of them are flying around my home star on training! 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Watch it get blown away without even seeing what it gets blown away by the first time I end up in combat. :D

I don't think you're reactor has enough energy to power all  6 lasers. I think you'll see a serve drop in ROF due to this. I would drop the shield and maybe a laser, up the armor and reactor if you can. (dont know if you can.)

How does this look for my first ship?

I'm considering restarting, now that I've got a lot of stuff figured out, but I'd like to know how this looks.

Cestus is a punching weapon, because everyone names the--SHIVANS I'M GONNA BE THE SHIVANS

Everyone names their ships after weapons.

Code: [Select]
Cestus class Cruiser    5550 tons     556 Crew     677 BP      TCS 111  TH 480  EM 0
4324 km/s     Armour 3-27     Shields 0-0     Sensors 24/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 3     PPV 28
Annual Failure Rate: 82%    IFR: 1.1%    Maintenance Capacity 229 MSP    Max Repair 32 MSP

Ion Engine E8 (8)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 40.5 billion km   (108 days at full power)

Twin 10cm Point Defense Laser Turret (2x2)    Range 30,000km     TS: 12000 km/s     Power 6-4     RM 1    ROF 10        3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
12cm C2 Visible Light Laser (2)    Range 80,000km     TS: 4324 km/s     Power 4-2     RM 2    ROF 10        4 4 2 2 1 1 1 1 0 0
Standard BFC (1)    Max Range: 128,000 km   TS: 2000 km/s     92 84 77 69 61 53 45 37 30 22
Standard Point-Defense BFC (1)    Max Range: 32,000 km   TS: 8000 km/s     69 37 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Gas-Cooled Fast Reactor Technology PB-1 AR-0 (2)     Total Power Output 18    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Anti-Missile Sensor (1)     GPS 32     Range 320k km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor S32-R100 (1)     GPS 3200     Range 32.0m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH4-24 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

EDIT:  I forgot to actually put the ship down.

Your active search sensor resolution is to crumby to be useful, though the range is quite good. I also think you have an over power reactor for your needs.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 15, 2010, 05:53:07 am »

UNASSIGNED acted as a decoy for me as well at first, preventing me from assigning men.
I believe you can use it to strip someone of his/her assignment, without replacing him/her.(leaving the post vacant)

Had a similar problem with the tf ordersscreen, when there is a 3rd part to an order, like what team to take onboard or what pdp components. This because double clicking does not work, need to use the "Add Move" button.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 15, 2010, 06:01:10 am »

Array is wrong.

You have to select the location and then the person you want to assign from the right side of the screen. That had me confused for a while as well.

Also there will always be that unnassigned word at the bottom.Though I think the bottom one is for sector commander. Didn't have one yet so don't know 100%.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 15, 2010, 07:25:32 am »

Your active search sensor resolution is to crumby to be useful, though the range is quite good.

What resolution would you suggest? I made the same exact sensor.

Also, how do I get my ships to actually activate the sensors? (feel ashamed to say I cheated to get some geosurvey ships, grav survey ships, and enough research to depleted my starting RP... but no more cheating hopefully)

Here's my first ship that wasn't made entirely with that tutorial thing. it also has one of those default names.)
Spoiler: My First Cruiser (click to show/hide)
(It says Purple Laser because I like it better than 'near-ultraviolet')
(the CIWS is because I was too lazy to make another beam control for missiles and a laser turret... and because if I want to I can mount them on my commercial vessels once I'm rich)

Oh shoot. I just noticed it doesn't have enough reactor power because I added the third laser at the last minute. I hope there's a way to fix that. I'm already building a few of these.

EDIT: Ah my first freighters has been completed! Now to figure out how to use.
EDIT2: I can't figure it out... I'm trying to load them with infrastructure but they're stubborn or something. What do I have to do?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:18:17 am by OzyTheSage »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 15, 2010, 07:50:56 am »

Ye can change the design if you didnt lock it and all ships will be magically transformed ( i heard).
to avoid this cheatish thing, lock design, copy design, rename 1.1 and remove the laser, lock. refit the ships in shipyard. (shouldn cost much as there are only minor changes)

--
Aw. I'm unable to open the 'create research' window anymore. strange. It's tab just sits there in the tray without opening the window. :( hmm.I've only opened a game, closed it, then opened another, touched nothing.
I'll just reboot and see if functionality is restored....I did let it go into sleepmode while running, but this didn't affect it before.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #419 on: January 15, 2010, 08:18:15 am »

This is likely a result of the way the game saves window positions when you close the game. Apparently if you save a window in the minimised state, it will save the window position (off screen) such that when you then open the game again and try to go to that window it'll appear active on the task bar but not be visible on screen. This is apparently fixed in the upcoming version 4.8.

For now, you can go to the misc tab of the main menu bar (with the window that's lost closed, that is not on the task bar) and select Reposition Windows or Restore Windows, or something along those lines. It will force all windows to default to top left position on the screen. So when you try to open it again it'll be visible.

Hope that helps.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 1347