Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817609 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #375 on: January 14, 2010, 05:32:44 pm »

is there any way to get the minerals from the civilians?
also what is the hyperdrive limit? (it prevents me from using hyper speed)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 14, 2010, 05:38:18 pm »

I'm really liking this game so far, Haven't encountered any problems yet. 

How do you get more space for missiles? Cause it seems I can put only 4 size 2 anti ship missiles.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 14, 2010, 05:39:15 pm »

is there any way to get the minerals from the civilians?
also what is the hyperdrive limit? (it prevents me from using hyper speed)

To get minerals from civilians go to the civ tab on the colony with mining complexes and there will be an option at the bottom to buy minerals, click that.

How do you get more space for missiles? Cause it seems I can put only 4 size 2 anti ship missiles.

More magazines means more missile space.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 14, 2010, 05:40:48 pm »

I'm really liking this game so far, Haven't encountered any problems yet. 

Research and design magazines, otherwise you can only put in the amount of missiles you have launchers.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 14, 2010, 05:41:52 pm »

Okay I'll do that, thanks

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 14, 2010, 05:44:01 pm »

About the last two ship designs: The tracking speed of the weapons is limited by
1) The speed of the ship (For weapons not on turrets)
and
2) The tracking speed of the fire control

For those two designs, if I've understood it correctly, the chance (for a turret) to hit a missile moving 15000 km/s at range 128000 km would be 2000(tracking speed)/15000(target speed)*0,5(change to hit at range 128k km) = 2/30 = 0,067. And at point blank range the change would still be only double that

The tutorial for ship building.

btw. I think I've found my new favourite game!  ::) (At least for now)

That's about right, and also the reason you don't use a 2000 tracking speed turret to intercept missiles. A better desing would need a targeting system that has the 4x modifier to tracking speed. Using that with a railgun or a quad laser shield hold off most of the early missiles (not tested!).

Also, in my game (yes I started recently) mars is unsuitable, so I'm colonising venus instead. Added bonus is that it seems venus usualy has a lot of resources and mars doesn't (havn't checked this time though, might still put an automated mining colony with mass drivers on mars. Yay for hauling mass drivers to colonies to load them up with minirals beforehand. If only we could Massdrive structures ;))
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 06:35:33 pm by Virex »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 14, 2010, 06:38:59 pm »

Well that's why I posted it, I completely forgot about beam fire control systems. 

Currently in development I have a 16000 km range 12000 km/s speed that I plan on using for point defense in the future (don't currently have a fast enough recharge rate for point defense lasers yet),  6000 km/s speed 32000 km range general purpose, and a 64000 km range 3000 speed for main ship guns and long range use.  My laser technology easily exceeds all of those ranges.  Looks like my sensors get to play catchup.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 14, 2010, 06:45:03 pm »

I finally got somewhere! Ive found a jump point! It has one planet for colonization but its a bit chilly at -38 degrees.

Another question: How do you get ships failure rate down?  Because One of my ships blew up while orbiting earth...   

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 14, 2010, 06:45:38 pm »

Engineering Space, I believe.
Shoes...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 14, 2010, 06:52:39 pm »

Using comercial componets when you can also helps, thouhg they are often too bulky for warships. Lastly, there are probably a bunch of researches that can help.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 14, 2010, 07:25:13 pm »

I can't even get this thing to run.

My comp is running Windows XP, and when I try to load the game I get an unending run of errors. Most look to be DB errors, but I'm not sure (as I didn't actually look at most of them). I got this with both the 4.75 version and with the 4.77 patch added.

When installing, I kept all of my newer DLLs.

Any ideas?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 14, 2010, 07:26:53 pm »

Did you copy the contents of the 475 .zip into the main folder and then add the 477?
Shoes...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 14, 2010, 07:29:17 pm »

Hey guys I'm back to playing.
Anyone with a Conventional had lots of problems, like me, with low industry cap, research and mining?

I already dealed with the lack of shipyards, slipways and shipyard capacity.
Industry cap, already converted Convetional Industry to industry cap (do not forget to do this, I didn't know I could do this so I lost many years building stuff very slowly).
I am dealing with the VERY LOW research speed by researching more "research point per lab", then gonna build like 12 more labs (got only 3)....

My main issue right now is mining.
My civs started building mining colonies so I'm buying their minerals...I'm lacking LOADS of Duranium, and my production SUCKS...I'm at 2040 with a freighter (scrapped my 2 'mission accomplished' geoships for now), developing my mining production and almost ready to get to Mars and Venus.
But I really, really lack Duranium X_X....also aliens are screwing my "30 days skip" tactic.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 14, 2010, 07:30:14 pm »

Did you copy the contents of the 475 .zip into the main folder and then add the 477?

I used the install for 475 and then added 477.

Should I just try doing a clean unzip of 475 and then unzip the 477 files into that directory without using the installer?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 14, 2010, 07:36:18 pm »

30 day turns take a while. Any idea on how to speed it up?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 1347