Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817686 times)

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #345 on: January 14, 2010, 08:51:58 am »

This makes me sad.

Get resize-able windows now >(
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 14, 2010, 09:04:43 am »

Just dl'd and installed. My civ generator rolled up some fairly nice scientists, one with a 30% bonus to propulsion resarch. So, after a sort amount of time, I should have nice turbocharged survey vessels. It's fun, but goddamned there is a lot of detail in the economics screen :O

Also, agree with the window size thingy. Doesn't fit on the max resolution of my widescreen monitor, so I actually have to drop it to a non-widescreen aspect ratio, which makes everything look ugly :(
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 14, 2010, 09:07:50 am »

Just dl'd and installed. My civ generator rolled up some fairly nice scientists, one with a 30% bonus to propulsion resarch.

According to the quick start guide in the wiki
Quote from: wiki
The listed percentage is used to boost the points produced, If the technology being reasearched is from the same field as the bonus, the percentage is instead x4. A 25% bonus for energy weapons will add 100% if you are researching a laser size.

Which means your 30% bonus is actually 120% for propulsion. Must say I find that confusing but should give you good engines :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 14, 2010, 10:34:27 am »

I think for fighters you build a few of them and then assign them to a ship with a boat bay or hangar.  But I'm not entirely certain myself.  I have a fighter design all set but the light carrier is still a WIP.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 14, 2010, 11:19:14 am »

I've been trying to follow the tutorial, but I can't find the grav survey components anywhere, nor any research involving them. Everything else in the tutorial has been correct, but I only have geo survey sensors. :/

The game looks fucking awesome, but the interface makes DF's look like the pinnacle of intuitive design. :|
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 14, 2010, 11:37:30 am »

aww, it crashed during a 30auto turn. :(
an errorlog file would be handy to report the type of bug or local system setting that caused it.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 14, 2010, 11:46:15 am »

I've been trying to follow the tutorial, but I can't find the grav survey components anywhere, nor any research involving them. Everything else in the tutorial has been correct, but I only have geo survey sensors. :/

The game looks fucking awesome, but the interface makes DF's look like the pinnacle of intuitive design. :|

You did instant the 'Jump Point Theory' and 'Gravitational Survey Sensors' techs when the tutorial told you to right?

At the bottom of the research tab, select the completed checkbox. Check for 'Jump Point Theory' in Power and Propulsion and 'Gravitational Survey Sensors' in Sensors and Fire Control.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48:21 am »

How do you set up an automine on an asteroid?  I've designated the asteroid as a colony and the mine is loaded onto a freighter, but it won't go to the mine.
Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 14, 2010, 11:56:10 am »

You did instant the 'Jump Point Theory' and 'Gravitational Survey Sensors' techs when the tutorial told you to right?

At the bottom of the research tab, select the completed checkbox. Check for 'Jump Point Theory' in Power and Propulsion and 'Gravitational Survey Sensors' in Sensors and Fire Control.
No, I missed that paragraph. I was a little drunk when I went through that tutorial yesterday. ;D Thanks for pointing it out though.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 14, 2010, 11:57:40 am »

The C-designated asteroid should show up in the destinations (without show asteroids checked).
It worked for me. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 14, 2010, 12:18:22 pm »

Yeah, I got it figured out.

Earth's already out of Mercassium.  My first jump ship is almost ready, and I'm going to start checking out the nearby system, since most of the other planets around here aren't suitable for colonies. 

Blurgh, this system sucks.  It's a binary system with three planets, two with trace atmospheres, one (The one orbiting the main star) 95% CO2 and none of them acceptable gravity.  Lame.

I named it Gehenna, with the planets Megiddo, Tophet, and Sheol.  Hot, hellish system, it is.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:33:20 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2010, 12:41:10 pm »

Geh I so want to try this but as it is my computers a little wonky. So if something goes wrong (ie the colors changing thing) system restore might not fix it?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2010, 12:57:41 pm »

The third system has some potentially habitable worlds, and also three things called LPs sharing the orbits of planets.  Does anyone know what they are?
Shoes...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 14, 2010, 01:28:14 pm »

The third system has some potentially habitable worlds, and also three things called LPs sharing the orbits of planets.  Does anyone know what they are?
Quote from: aurorawiki
Lagrange Point. An intra-system jump point found in the L5 lagrange point of super-jovians or massive gas giants (about sixty degrees behind the planet in its orbit)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2010, 01:55:39 pm »

I give up. Half the commands I give to this game result in some 1000 error messages in tandem.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 1347