Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817739 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #315 on: January 13, 2010, 05:38:56 pm »

Currently running 1400x1050, which is hideous, but works okay.

Possible win7 bug: Auto-rename removes names from list? REnamed first ship a few times to get Saratoga, then copied ship, and renamed.... no new name found?? Same for the new ship button, it doesn't give it a name, and says no new name found.  ???
Also got this bug. renamed class several times in a row, then noname.
Was also playing with the shipnames themes at about the time this bug occured.
restarting programm does not reset this. somehow the classname flavournames library has been lost. 
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: !
« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2010, 05:48:19 pm »

Another Noob Questiontm: how do I discover systems outside of the original solar system? I feel like I'm not supposed to do it by sending my ships out in random directions.

Ooh! Ooh! I know!
build a grav survey ship, then set it in the special orders tab to survey nearby surveypoints (not geo objects).
Several of these points will yield a jumppoint.
Set a ship with a Jumpdrive AND one ore more normal drives to use the jumppoint. (selecting the JP as target will allow only one order) 

Or do what I did, completely neglect shipboard jump drive altogether and just fully construct a jumpgate using a jump gate constructor ship at every place you want to go.  P.S. Probably a bad idea.

I mean seriously I had a pair of jump gate constructors building gates into unexplored systems looong before I had any ships that could jump without a gate.  A good 5 years later I developed a jump scout ship that would fly through gates to see where they go.  And I just now realized that I could have my survey ships ride in the wake of the things to start surveying the new systems without a gate. 

I have been keeping the survey ships back wating for a jump gate to be constructed for a good 3 years when I had jump capable ships.  When I find an AI I am going to be SOOOOO far behind...   Oh I just found my first suitable planet too, a good 2 jumps away from my homeworld.  Shame I lack any terraforming technology...or any colony ships...or any knowlege on how to actually make a functional colony. 

Do I just send the colony ship alone?  Do I need to bring any freighters carrying anything?  Is terraforming absolutely necessary? (The planet is 1.97 cost) How I mine for fish?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:52:35 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 13, 2010, 06:01:43 pm »

You're going to need some infrastructure in order to colonize a 2.0 cost planet, but I don't know about anything less than that.  Establish a colony first (before dropping anyone off) and check its "Supported Population" - if it says "no maximum" then you don't need to worry about the infrastructure, but if it doesn't, then you're going to need 10 infrastructure for every .05m people.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 13, 2010, 06:05:06 pm »

Alrighty, that dosn't sound too hard.  I have plenty of freighters and the jump gate is almost complete.  Onward to my first colony and the almost sure death of every poor soul that goes there!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 13, 2010, 06:06:28 pm »

The AI player is a real asshole. It's been taking hour to day long intervals for a few months, and I need to skip about a year. Not only that, I got a division by zero error at one of the intervals. What the hell are they doing over there? lmfao

EDIT: it may or may not be the bug I had before, but it doesn't have consistent intervals, so I'm guessing AI. Guess I'll have to cheat and check.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:09:01 pm by Chicken Launcher »
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 13, 2010, 06:07:06 pm »

Also, this isn't a bug as such, but in new games Mars is uninhabitable (in stock game it's your best in-system colony, it's only real drawback being that it doesn't have any ore)
turns out it's not a bug at all  :-\
Apparently the stock game has very high tolerances for the deviation in gravity tolerance. it has to be at least 62%. after you reach the border of your gavity window, there's no increase in cost, or anything, you just can't live there, period. (this is quite silly, as in real life low gravity is the simplest problem of the 3 to overcome)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 13, 2010, 06:22:05 pm »

I don't think it's the stock game, I think that the game randomly determines the level of tolerances up to a maximum deviation (60% for gravity in the standard configuration) every game.  For example, my last game had a gravity tolerance down to .35, but in my current game it's only .60.  All of the other tolerances (temperature, oxygen pressure, and total pressure) all have different values as well.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 13, 2010, 06:52:33 pm »

uh, no, 70% for gravity is pretty lucky (or, you know, made by design) as is 4atm on pressure tolerance. both are the absolute maximum of what RNG will give you (although upon experimentation, I found that they're not too rare- 70% for oxygen come up about once in 10 tries, and 4 on gravity maybe half as often. not a normal distribution that one)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 13, 2010, 06:59:47 pm »

How do you mine out asteroids?
With a mining module..plus some order I can't find? T_T

EDIT:
NP I got it.
If anyone will do this someday:
Build a ship with a mining module, put it in orbit of the desired minerable body, create a colony there.
Go to the colony info menu, see the mining status.

Now another question: is it really needed to build a colony everytime I want to mine out an asteroid (for instance) ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:04:27 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 13, 2010, 07:17:49 pm »

as it happens yes, you have to designate a colony every time. you could try mining comets instead, at least they'll clear your screen when they disappear...

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 13, 2010, 07:25:28 pm »

Currently running 1400x1050, which is hideous, but works okay.

Possible win7 bug: Auto-rename removes names from list? REnamed first ship a few times to get Saratoga, then copied ship, and renamed.... no new name found?? Same for the new ship button, it doesn't give it a name, and says no new name found.  ???
Also got this bug. renamed class several times in a row, then noname.
Was also playing with the shipnames themes at about the time this bug occured.
restarting programm does not reset this. somehow the classname flavournames library has been lost. 

Asked on forums, known bug :P
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 13, 2010, 07:50:52 pm »

OH GOD.

Installed, trying to get through the tutorials... and then I suddenly notice graphical glitches.

As I type this, the white box has purple lines and static, my black has turned into black-alternating-with-bright-green, and my red also has some green.

This computer's been going screwy for a while now, but I can't help suspect Aurora played some part in this.

Fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.  Time to throw it at the Geek Squad again.

(EDIT:  Or, you know, system restore.  But I've been needing to take it back anyway I guess.  If I do it enough they replace it or something apparently.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:56:39 pm by Farce »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 13, 2010, 07:59:44 pm »

Think it has something to do with how Aurora does it's windows.  It did it to me too for awhile, but it reverted to normal after I turned Aurora off.  It dosn't exactly seem to be a well coded game, but a game can still be entertaining with bad coding.

Hell I made an old TI-83 game that was coded horribly, it used so many Labels and gotos that it was nearly impossible to tell what I was looking at in the code...and I wrote it all.  It was hellova fun though, was an RPG and had some randomly generated monsters items and dungeons and stuff.  It also took up almost the entire calculator's storage space and had thousands of lines of code.

EDIT: Actually did it replace any files in your system folder?  It's generally a good Idea to say yes when the installer tries to install something there.  The dialog that asks you comes up because your computer is telling you that you don't need the games version of the file because you already have the file and yer version is newer.  You say yes to keep your current file, not no. (Or god forbid no to all)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:04:08 pm by Greiger »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 13, 2010, 08:32:08 pm »

Yeah, I said yes to everything.  But I've quit Aurora, restarted, and I've run a system restore as well.  It's still happening - I seem to have broken something that won't auto-fix.

This only kicked in after a while, too - I only noticed it when I got to around the ship design section of the tutorial.

Arrrrrgh.  Bloody hell.  Works fine until I get to the part where I can actually do stuff instead of look at spreadsheets.  Not cool.

Though I'd regenned and restarted like three times before that, so it was a bit longer than it should have been.  But still.  Urghh.

Giant Snowman

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a Giant Snowman adventure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 13, 2010, 09:53:21 pm »

It's good to see Pluto back in the perfect cicular orbit it deserves. And also good to see stupid Ceres, Xena and Charon are nowhere in sight. We don't need your kind in this solar system!
Benzene on steam.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 1347