Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817742 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2010, 02:14:29 pm »

You can only build it if you already have industrial capacity. Otherwise, you must ship it from a planet that already has it to one that doesn't.
I would just like to point out that you can use engineer units (a kind of ground unit) to produce stuff. The advantage here is that it doesn't require population involvement, so you can build in high cots places like Venus (or, Titan really, I know I'm impatient, but it takes weeks to deliver anything there!)

My most recent game was killed by a civilian freighter being unable to load colonists (The game thinks it's my business, so automatic turns don't work and naturally there's no way for me to affect civilian transfers. even with SpaceMaster, argh!)

At the risk of asking an insultingly obvious question, is there a new ship being built into the same task group as the freighter trying to load? For the longest time I was confused and despondent about how my ships just sat on homeworld apparently ignoring my orders because of this...
this is from a long time ago, but if you're still interested- this was a civilian craft (from a civilian shipping company) over which I  had no control what. so. ever. I also couldn't build any. BTW, where do civilian ships get buildt? (not the civilian classed vessels, but actual freighters run by light blue civilians)

Also, this isn't a bug as such, but in new games Mars is uninhabitable (in stock game it's your best in-system colony, it's only real drawback being that it doesn't have any* ore)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:24:40 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2010, 02:51:24 pm »

I'm gonna get back to playing, this night I will stay at home I think.

Do Miners [ships] need Cargo Holds? Do they generate Minerals that need to be carried by Freighters or by themselves?

I'm still expanding my shipyard (forgot do to it), am on 2030 and going to make Survey Ships, then a Colony Ship and Freighters, later on some Miners.
Since I've choose a Convetional Start, I'm not even on space yet, but already got enough tech to make a survey ship and freighter/miners.
Just need to finish building my commercial shipyard and expanding it (will take like 10 years because I forgot about it, so dumb).

My main problem is that my government type gave me only 2 Research Labs. I built another one, but things are really into a crawl...I'm skipping various months at a time..

--
Btw I started at 2012. Game name: Rebirth :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:57:46 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2010, 02:57:28 pm »

miner ships don't require cargo holds. they do require you designating their destination as a colony, and later on you will need to bring around a transport to pick the minerals up (or you could dump a mass driver there and send them home as dangerously fast "packets" 8))
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 13, 2010, 03:18:21 pm »

@a.f.: I confirmed that is a bug in my game as well, so the best thing to do if you don't want to cheat is create a new ship design "mk. 2"/etc every time you update a ship design.

Meanwhile I posted the bug report on their forums.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 13, 2010, 03:32:15 pm »

Damn I think some aliens are into some heavy fighting or something.

It takes AGES to do a 30 day advance now, and it'll be impossible to play if it keeps like this.
I need to skip whole years..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 13, 2010, 03:33:55 pm »

Noob Question: I started conventionally, but how do I build more research labs? They don't show up under Construction Options in the Industry tab.

EDIT: I can't build mines and other things either, I'm guessing it's related to the Trans-Newtonian technology that it's going to take me 2 years to research.

EDIT 2: YUP ^
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:42:44 pm by Chicken Launcher »
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 13, 2010, 03:39:53 pm »

The most irritating interrupts I get now are when: I order a ship to do something and it has to wait (like ordering ships through a jump but they have to wait for a jump ship) it'll interrupt every 6 hours even if you click 30 days, geo survey ship has completed it's orders for now and keeps bombarding me that there's nothing to survey(turn survey orders off), and random officer out of hundreds is more experienced or I have a new one.

Make sure to use ctrl+F3 so you know what's slowing you. I got the handy "NPR has detected us" then "within range of NPR" message, and then an even handier "incoming missiles detected" message when I got my last slowdowns last night.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 13, 2010, 03:45:11 pm »

I guess that'd be a bug.

This game's lack of proper documentation annoys me. The wiki is lame, has only one lame tutorial, and the forums are messy. Pity. I'm going back to the dwarves for the time being...

The game is quite worth it after the initial confusion. I find the fiction stories from the forums to be a better source of information than the actual wiki. They are very fun to read too. Reading the first few chapters of the trans-newtonian campaign have really helped me understand the way different weapon systems work and some logistical aspects.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 13, 2010, 03:50:58 pm »

Chicken Launcher, you need to research Trans Newtonian Theory first, before being able to build/research anything else.

Got a question too, how can I insert ground forces in a Task Group?
Do I need a ship to do so? Can't a TG be made only with GUs?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 13, 2010, 03:54:06 pm »

I  think you can limit the type of events that get listed, not sure that means only completed research will halt autoturn...

Can someone tell me where to design missiles?
or exactly what is prerequired to design them?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 13, 2010, 03:57:58 pm »

Still hoping here for some way to at the least, hide the thing topbar on the windows, so they'll fit at 900 vertical res :P Otherwise, I need a virtual desktop application/resizeenable that works with windows 7
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 13, 2010, 04:53:44 pm »

Another Noob Questiontm: how do I discover systems outside of the original solar system? I feel like I'm not supposed to do it by sending my ships out in random directions.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #312 on: January 13, 2010, 05:05:16 pm »

Another Noob Questiontm: how do I discover systems outside of the original solar system? I feel like I'm not supposed to do it by sending my ships out in random directions.

Ooh! Ooh! I know!
build a grav survey ship, then set it in the special orders tab to survey nearby surveypoints (not geo objects).
Several of these points will yield a jumppoint.
Set a ship with a Jumpdrive AND one ore more normal drives to use the jumppoint. (selecting the JP as target will allow only one order) 

--
how about those missiles?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 13, 2010, 05:11:18 pm »

Still hoping here for some way to at the least, hide the thing topbar on the windows, so they'll fit at 900 vertical res :P Otherwise, I need a virtual desktop application/resizeenable that works with windows 7

Assuming using greater/unsupported resolutions will simply make text harder to read or just make the screen ugly (rather than showing some jittery static), you should have at least two alternatives:
1. In Desktop properties, Settings, Advanced, Monitor turn off "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" (that's how it goes in XP, may differ in 7) and use a 4:3 resolution with a high y value like 1280x1024. The view may be stretched and parts of the desktop off-screen, but apparently text in Aurora is readable (compared to a higher 16:10 res).
2. Similarly as above, except use a higher res 16:10 resolution in conjunction with a zoom app like DesktopZoom and set the zoom to a level where the text doesn't look too pixelated. May require getting used to or just configuring the zoom app better.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 13, 2010, 05:14:20 pm »

Currently running 1400x1050, which is hideous, but works okay.

Possible win7 bug: Auto-rename removes names from list? REnamed first ship a few times to get Saratoga, then copied ship, and renamed.... no new name found?? Same for the new ship button, it doesn't give it a name, and says no new name found.  ???
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:16:31 pm by Darkone »
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 1347