Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817820 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2010, 08:24:49 pm »

My most recent game was killed by a civilian freighter being unable to load colonists (The game thinks it's my business, so automatic turns don't work and naturally there's no way for me to affect civilian transfers. even with SpaceMaster, argh!)

At the risk of asking an insultingly obvious question, is there a new ship being built into the same task group as the freighter trying to load? For the longest time I was confused and despondent about how my ships just sat on homeworld apparently ignoring my orders because of this...

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2010, 08:26:38 pm »

I see, so many of my problems were caused by a missing msstdfmt dll - installed, and the game is so much more awesome :P

(yeah, i dismissed the error messages without reading them, assuming i did something wrong in-game)
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2010, 08:38:07 pm »

Idk I'm a bit drunk, I think in two hours I'll try the game again.

I'm so upset because I'm drunk, because I want to play and the friggin alcohol doesn't let me do it.
I'm really confused right now.

By the way can you advance time more than 30 days?

I type really good for a wine-drunk guy [4 bottles~]
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2010, 08:45:12 pm »

I just stated this game, finding it a bit hard but I am getting around. I read earlier that someone said that if you set the screen resolution higher then the monitor can go it goes fuzzy. I tried that as I needed to do that to play the game and instead it just become a scrolling desktop where when I point the mouse near the edges it scrolls. I am running Windows XP SP3 on an laptop with a 1440x900 monitor.

As for the game it's a great game but I personally think the UI could be somewhat more compact because there is so much on the screen at once that it's are to tell whats going on sometimes. Also I don't know how hard this would be to program, but I think that if the windows for ship design and research and such were not separate windows, but part of the system map it would make it easier.

The game itself is fun but has a pretty steep learning curve. Still don't know how to do anything yet. I tried making ships but couldn't figure out how  ;D. The stuff I read on the game and even the detail of the game makes it look very exciting and I can't wait to learn how to play it. Great work with this, I really hope it will keep on advancing and growing into a great 4X game.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2010, 08:56:29 pm »

How do you get civs to start actually shipping stuff? and colonizing and stuff like that?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2010, 09:06:00 pm »

How do you get civs to start actually shipping stuff? and colonizing and stuff like that?
You can only create the opportunity by creating a commercial design that can be built at a yard, building a commercial shipyard.
having a Mars colony helps by creating an easy market demand for infrastructure/colonists
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »

Unless the Humans in your game are too wimpy to withstand Mars' low gravity. :(

Gabeux: You can set it so that, if you don't get any events, the game will continue forwarding time.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2010, 09:14:34 pm »

Anyone have any workarounds for smaller 16:10 monitors (1440x900) other than dropping into a faked, crushed 4:3 reso? My monitor has a native max vertical of 900, so anything above that squishes horribly, and I rather hoped to avoid needing to install desktop thingies.

Edit: I don't mind installing someone at all if it doesn't screw with my desktop. I like my desktop :P

Edit2: Also, I haven't read what Aurora is developed in, but what makes implementing a scalable window so complicated? I'm guessing it all boils down to what library you're using to handle graphics.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:22:24 pm by Darkone »
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2010, 10:02:42 pm »

Okay.... wtf. My increment times have decreased significantly, below their official times. Not because of some alien war or something, because different increments have different but consistent effects: 1 day is 1/2 an hour, 5 days is two hours, and 30 days is six hours.

I don't think I changed any time-related settings, so how did this happen?

EDIT: In the event updates window it claims that my increments are actually half, two, and six hours. How do I fix it?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:05:35 pm by Chicken Launcher »
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2010, 10:06:06 pm »

It's okay everyone I'm Asian so this is alright. Brace yourselves.

-______________________________________________________-;;

The last two pages had this mentioned quite a few times. It happens because something "important" is happening which interrupts your time block.

Read the page before this for a workaround and more details.

EDIT: oh you edited your post. You probably changed the sub-pulse length  in the other variable time change thingy? I don't know the term for it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2010, 10:08:55 pm »

Yea this just happened to me too.  My guess is an AI fighting precursors or another AI but I have been doing this for about 2 months game time straight and it's showing no signs of stopping.

Quite annoying consitering that absolutely NOTHING is happening on my end.  The most I can stare at is my one little freighter trasporting materiels from all my mining colonies back to my homeworld.  While I wait for my jump gate construction ship that my entire empire is currently waiting on to build 1% every 5 minutes of real time.

P.S. Automated turns seems to do absolutely nothing for me.  Only things showing up in the event log is my servey ships complaining about being bored, but they've been floating around alone in deep space for 10 years now, so I doubt that's causing it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:15:02 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2010, 10:09:57 pm »

The last two pages had this mentioned quite a few times. It happens because something "important" is happening which interrupts your time block.

EDIT: oh you edited your post. You probably changed the sub-pulse length  in the other variable time change thingy? I don't know the term for it.

No, the sub-pulse is on auto, I tried changing it but it didn't make a difference. Also, my firefox menu text (File, Edit, View, etc) just turned yellow and the menus are the Aurora background color. Jesus Christ.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2010, 10:12:55 pm »

@Grieger: did you try clicking "Automated turns" checkbox upper-right and then on a high time increment?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2010, 10:13:35 pm »

heh asian eh, I just read the Trans Newton Cam. p6. ;)

@chicken:
also there is an options tab in the systemview window, it allows you to change several of the used ....eh wassit called ? Astronomicalunits iso km , kelvin iso celsius etc.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2010, 10:14:38 pm »

I'm reasonably sure there was a setting I saw that set the length of the 5 second interval. That's probably it, somehow, and I need to find it and fix it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 1347