Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1323 1324 [1325] 1326 1327 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814691 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19860 on: May 14, 2020, 06:57:04 pm »

I'm actually just realizing how insane the fuel reduction is with more advanced engines. I was being lazy and not updating my exploration ships.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19861 on: May 14, 2020, 07:00:56 pm »

It isn't just the more advanced engines. Each Fuel Efficiency tech is an extra 10% reduction from base, and you get a really hefty boost from larger engines. Meanwhile, boosting the output sends your consumption into the stratosphere.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19862 on: May 14, 2020, 07:37:31 pm »

So this may because I'm still back in 1.8, but I don't seem to be able to make events pop up on my system map. I ticked the events box in the display tab but nothing happens.

Also, why is the game pausing every few days to tell me a civilian ship has failed to load installations from mars because there aren't any? It's starting to become incredibly annoying.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19863 on: May 14, 2020, 07:57:11 pm »

So this may because I'm still back in 1.8, but I don't seem to be able to make events pop up on my system map. I ticked the events box in the display tab but nothing happens.

Also, why is the game pausing every few days to tell me a civilian ship has failed to load installations from mars because there aren't any? It's starting to become incredibly annoying.
Events on main screen wasn't a feature until 1.9.

Do/did you have orders for them to pick something up from Mars?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19864 on: May 14, 2020, 08:10:16 pm »

Yet another reason to start over.

Do/did you have orders for them to pick something up from Mars?

Civilian ships. I have no control over them. And it's only Mars and only installations too. I'm guessing that mars is producing a tiny amount of infrastructure, then immediately population growing to the maximum before the ships can pick up the excess installations.

EDIT: My Fuel harvester doesn't seem to want to drop fuel off at my colony. I tried both the "Transfer Fuel to Colony" and "Harvester Transfer and Return" orders but the ship only transfers about 5% to the colony and then heads back to the gas giant. The minimum fuel for the ship is set to only 20%.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:46:29 pm by Micro102 »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19865 on: May 14, 2020, 09:55:22 pm »

The "minimum fuel" is in liters, not percent. you might have an extra zero in there.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19866 on: May 14, 2020, 10:43:01 pm »

Yes I know. I double checked for an extra 0.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19867 on: May 15, 2020, 03:42:43 am »

I didn't think about using civilians to transport the spaceport. Even though I use them for other stuff. Well, next time!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19868 on: May 15, 2020, 09:12:22 am »

I'm actually just realizing how insane the fuel reduction is with more advanced engines. I was being lazy and not updating my exploration ships.

The route to fuel efficiency is through larger engines with reduced power. Higher tech engines are no more efficient than lower tech, they just have more power for their size.  Fuel efficiency tech is nice but it's nowhere near as effective as making larger, less powerful engines.

The research for larger engine sizes and for lower engine power is pretty cheap. 

The reason for this is due to the way fuel efficiency is calculated. It's based on the engine power squared, so numbers under 100% rapidly reduce fuel use.

Base fuel use is 1 liter per engine power hour.  So a ship with an engine with 50 power, rated at 100% power, costs 50 liters of fuel per hour.

Take that same engine and give it 50% power, and it'll cost .25 liters per power hour.  50 units of power at that price comes out to 12.5 liters per hour.

It gets crazy as you go lower.  A 30% power engine costs you .09 liters per power hour. 

On top of that, larger engine sizes similarly get more and more efficient as they get larger.  Those efficiencies stack.  So you can easily have engines designed that take 3% of the fuel that a full power small engine would use for the same amount of power.

Fuel efficiency research is only giving you 10% better fuel efficiency at best. Of course, it stacks with the other reductions, so it's worthwhile, just realize in terms of reducing fuel use it's not going to have anywhere near the effect a lower powered engine would have.

There's a trade off of course. Large underpowered engines have a worse thrust to mass ratio, so even if you stack a bunch of them you're going to have a lower top speed. On top of that, large engines require more maintenance in military ships. It's still worth it to use them on your grav and geo scanners, you might need to add some msp storage to be able to maintain them though.

I tend to turn off fuel refining on planet first thing, and build some fuel harvesters to go sit on a gas giant.  I have a tanker with huge fuel tanks take a visit to the harvesters twice a year and bring it back to earth, using order delays. I think you could probably set up the conditions on the tanker to fully automate this instead of using a delay, but whatever it works.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19869 on: May 15, 2020, 09:36:11 am »

In regards to fuel use, I typically do conventional starts and build a whopping 5 fuel refineries from conventional industry. By the time I get to a tech level that is satisfying, research components, and build ships, I've got a big stockpile of fuel that my fuel-efficient ships (even military) only skim from.

Even going from x1 Engine Power down to x0.95 or x0.9 Engine Power makes a big difference in terms of fuel consumption. I tend to make my military engines pretty big, at about x0.9 or x0.95EP, and it certainly helps that I tend to dedicate lots of research to the decreased fuel consumption techs. Cuts down on a small amount of waste tonnage from excess fuel tanks and in the event that the ship is destroyed, I don't lose a couple million liters of fuel too. Alternatively, I can keep the extra fuel tanks and have a long-range vessel.

EDIT: Anyone recall if the rules for 500-1000 ton ships has changed? I thought I remembered something about it. Something about not having to build shipyards for them? I may just be misremembering/conflating two different things.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:41:32 am by coleslaw35 »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19870 on: May 15, 2020, 09:52:08 am »

Ships 500 tons and smaller are classified as fighters. They don't need a bridge component, and they're built by fighter factories on the planet surface.
Ships 1000 tons and smaller also don't need a bridge, but you'll need to build them in a shipyard (albeit a very small one).

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19871 on: May 15, 2020, 09:52:22 am »

Below Ion and .7 fuel efficiency I also drop power on my military engines to 90% to save fuel.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19872 on: May 15, 2020, 10:21:55 am »

Ships 500 tons and smaller are classified as fighters. They don't need a bridge component, and they're built by fighter factories on the planet surface.
Ships 1000 tons and smaller also don't need a bridge, but you'll need to build them in a shipyard (albeit a very small one).

Ah, so then nothing changed after all and I was just misremembering. Thanks.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19873 on: May 15, 2020, 10:44:35 am »

Just designed my 1st navy in Aurora C#.

Any glaring oversights to see?
There will be tankers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It just seems like a lot of tonnage for the bang, I know I used to have smaller ships, even at this techlevel.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19874 on: May 15, 2020, 11:16:04 am »

Looks good to me - how are you planning on reloading the Dracon class Destroyers?
It'd also help to see the missiles they're planning to fire, to make sure your sensor ranges match up with ranges.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:17:40 am by AlStar »
Pages: 1 ... 1323 1324 [1325] 1326 1327 ... 1347