Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814447 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19800 on: May 07, 2020, 11:25:23 pm »

I just want it to stop.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now Geifer connects to Sol.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19801 on: May 07, 2020, 11:36:08 pm »

All the same Sol?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19802 on: May 07, 2020, 11:41:07 pm »

Yes.  Also, another one.

That's 6 new JPs into Sol after game start.  Just, fun, the best fun.

Edit: 22 Systems discovered and only 3 are more than 2 jumps from Earth.  Probably because I haven't surveyed them yet.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:53:07 pm by Shooer »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19803 on: May 08, 2020, 12:20:49 am »

Holy shit that's a lot of Sol connections. My Sol has two jump points. One leads to an immediate dead end. I would organize everything and prevent as much crossover as possible, then just memorize that new map.

On the upside, it should be fairly simple to funnel all minerals back to Earth.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19804 on: May 08, 2020, 06:51:14 am »

What version are you running, Shooer? I know that "all roads lead to Sol" was a bug that got fixed a little back. If you're running the newest version, Steve might want to see your database file, because that's an extremely unlikely number of Sol connections.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19805 on: May 08, 2020, 01:06:31 pm »

How did you learn this game without a tutoriel,btw ?

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19806 on: May 08, 2020, 01:10:26 pm »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19807 on: May 08, 2020, 01:10:42 pm »

I read an AAR way back when on the Paradox Forums (Per Aspera ad Astra, iirc), which got me into the game. (I think?)
I watched a bit of a youtube tutorial for some specific questions I had.
But that was years ago.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19808 on: May 08, 2020, 01:14:50 pm »

What version are you running, Shooer? I know that "all roads lead to Sol" was a bug that got fixed a little back. If you're running the newest version, Steve might want to see your database file, because that's an extremely unlikely number of Sol connections.
Latest version.  I got a database from before and after making a new JP into Sol(that makes 10 total now)
Gunna test later and see if the connection from the new system connects to Sol after repeated attempts.

Think I got the map sorted out, for now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Been getting 2 new connections a year into Sol for the past 3 years.  Also still haven't found the race that found Sol.  They were the only NPR generated at start, maybe they snuck through Claxton after I discovered it.  Or perhaps they came from one of the 6 JPs I know between Small World and Ingersoll.

Edit: Make that 5 I haven't checked between Small World and Ingersoll, since Ingersoll connects to Sol.  11.
How did you learn this game without a tutoriel,btw ?
I started learning it largely the same way I did DF.  Trying, failing, learning, trying, learning, failing, trying, learning, succeeding.  Also read through a decent amount of peoples AAR's of Aurora.  They are usually pretty good wright ups (especially Steve's, the games creator) of what happens in game and how to get there.  A lot of little mechanics I probably wouldn't know about if they weren't mentioned here and there.

Reading the test campaign wright ups helped me know what was being added and changed in Aurora C# because Steve usually ran a campaign around a few design ideas he was working on.  For example the 40k inspired one gives shows that shields are more viable and does a decent run over of the new ground combat mechanics.

That's where the games true tutorials are, the stories people tell of the game.  I haven't seen a complete tutorial series for Aurora yet, but the AARs are a colorful breakdown of full gameplay.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 01:27:25 pm by Shooer »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19809 on: May 08, 2020, 05:45:48 pm »

Maybe that race that found Sol were timelords...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19810 on: May 08, 2020, 05:47:25 pm »

Survey sites are suggested places to send ground survey teams and their chance of discovering new deposits.

Odd, I thought you had a chance for surveys at every planet.

You did in VB6 (Or possibly you didnt and it only SEEMED to). Nowadays, your geological survey vessels will pick up the level of potential a body has, allowing you to send survey vehicle ground forces out to run an actual survey

From Steve:
Once the orbital survey of a system body is completed, the potential for a further ground survey will be revealed (None, Minimal, Low, Good, High, Excellent).

Just to clarify that this has indeed changed in C#.

Dammit, I looked for this in the change log too.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg107705#msg107705
It's still not easy to navigate, even with a Table of Contents, so there you go.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19811 on: May 08, 2020, 09:55:06 pm »

Will civilian transport groups fill demands between systems? I've stabilized all the jump points but none of them are moving out of my home system. If they won't, then is there a nice way to tell my freighters to "take this and then this and then this", or do I have to measure out the size of each installation I want to bring and give specific orders?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19812 on: May 08, 2020, 11:14:07 pm »

Will civilian transport groups fill demands between systems? I've stabilized all the jump points but none of them are moving out of my home system. If they won't, then is there a nice way to tell my freighters to "take this and then this and then this", or do I have to measure out the size of each installation I want to bring and give specific orders?

Check here, it looks like they will system hop. Though I think they need a stabilized jump gate.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg106982#msg106982

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19813 on: May 09, 2020, 12:38:01 am »

Very odd, because that should all check out on my end. I have the supply and demand orders, I have the stabilized jump points, I have the money.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19814 on: May 09, 2020, 12:50:36 am »

But is it more profitable to move other cargo?  That's the main problem with trying to rely on commercial shipping moving stuff for you is that you can't adjust the price you pay.

Have to compete with moving infrastructure and trade goods.
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 1347