Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1312 1313 [1314] 1315 1316 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814266 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19695 on: April 27, 2020, 10:09:30 am »

What amount did you set to reserve the fuel.  I thought it was a percentage at first but it isn't.  It's a specific amount of fuel.  So 10 gives you 10 liters of fuel not 10%.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19696 on: April 27, 2020, 12:33:32 pm »

It was a commercial tanker that would transport fuel from the harvesting station. I think it was set at 75000 units of fuel. If it all turned out to be a UI issue...

Not that it matters now. Already moved onto a new save in 1.8.0.

Gotta say, terraforming is a bit more intricate now, with an added silent betrayal. Have to watch it like a hawk just to make sure the numbers were saved correctly and that it's not endlessly venting aestusium. Messed up my Luna colony thanks to that.  :-\
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19697 on: April 27, 2020, 02:38:03 pm »

Is a lunar colony worth it? Feels like it would take a lot of investment to get it to 0 colony cost.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19698 on: April 27, 2020, 02:44:47 pm »

Faster to get to cost 0 on Luna than Mars in C#.  Thanks to the changes to how fast you can change gases based on the body.

You can use it to make cash pretty quickly from civilian shipping.  Though it won't be able to hold as many people as larger bodies. 

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19699 on: April 27, 2020, 06:20:20 pm »

I strongly question the ability for the moon's low gravity and lack of molten core to prevent all the atmosphere from being blown out into space but that is a risk I am willing to have my population take.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19700 on: April 28, 2020, 12:22:00 pm »

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19701 on: April 28, 2020, 12:49:54 pm »

There are a lot of changes and fixes in this patch, so I may have inadvertently introduced some new bugs. Therefore don't start any major campaigns until the patch has been out for about 24 hours.

I'm way ahead of him, I haven't started any major campaigns in Aurora in the entire time I've played it!

I had a decentish little empire starting up in 1.8 and then the game locked up between turns and I lost hours of play. Oof, gotta remember to hit save every so often.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19702 on: April 28, 2020, 01:47:28 pm »

Although nothing's gone wrong with my 1.8 game, having both of Sol's JPs dump onto empty star systems, making so that the nearest extrasolar 2.0 colony-cost world is two jumps and something like 40 billion kilometers from Earth is enough of a downer that I think I'll be quite happy to give it a new roll o' the dice for 1.9.

Oh, plus none of the planets in Sol had any minerals - only a handful of asteroids, gas giant moons, and some comets. I mean, I suppose it could have made for an interesting challenge in strip mining the solar system and setting up a mass migration of all important infrastructure out once the place was dry... but nah.

Edit: Oh, and my new race images are up to 150 entries now, in two easy-to-download files from the Aurora forum.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:01:11 pm by AlStar »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19703 on: April 28, 2020, 06:35:26 pm »

Started my 1.9 game. Sol is rather mineral-poor this time around. Aside from Earth, itself somewhat lacking, none of the planets or moons(up through Saturn) surveyed thus far have had any minerals whatsoever. I'm finding a bit more than usual in asteroids this time around though.

On the other hand, Mercury has a ruined outpost, so I'm pushing Xenoarchaeology research. I've got a Xenoarchaeology ground force templated already, consisting of two Xenoarchaeology equipment vehicles and a platoon(36 units of infantry/personal weapons) of infantry as "security". Without an HQ or logistics unit, I realized that the transport size of of the ground force is 616.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19704 on: April 29, 2020, 01:35:50 am »

How does it work with the survey ground units now? Do you have to build them on site, or is there a way to transport them?

I used to enjoy the old way of having teams and being able to have the option where you were required to move teams and officers around in space ships, as opposed to the other option where you could have instantaneous officer movement.
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19705 on: April 29, 2020, 01:56:38 am »

How does it work with the survey ground units now? Do you have to build them on site, or is there a way to transport them?

I used to enjoy the old way of having teams and being able to have the option where you were required to move teams and officers around in space ships, as opposed to the other option where you could have instantaneous officer movement.

I think you have to, or at least want to move them via ship. As there are ships that can have research facilities, which boost things like surveys.

Also, maybe someone here can help me understand how HQ capacities work? Can I go over the capacity of the HQ? Should I? Does being under capacity have any benefits? Do two HQs let me have two commanders? If so, do those commanders both give benefits?

EDIT: Also just noticed that my geo survey ships are red in the fleet window. Looking at the reports, their MSP's are 0% and 11%, which is odd because I have a conditional order set to resupply at colony is their supply points get below 20%, and they don't seem to be listening to it. Anyone know what's up?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:13:19 am by Micro102 »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19706 on: April 29, 2020, 06:08:13 am »

Also, maybe someone here can help me understand how HQ capacities work? Can I go over the capacity of the HQ? Should I? Does being under capacity have any benefits? Do two HQs let me have two commanders? If so, do those commanders both give benefits?
The capacity is how big of a unit the HQ can manage (in size, not the number of units). I think subformations count as well. You can go over capacity but you'll incur an overcapacity malus (separate from the commander's capacity limit IIRC). I don't think a second HQ in a unit does anything other than act as a backup. Beware of bugs.

EDIT: Also just noticed that my geo survey ships are red in the fleet window. Looking at the reports, their MSP's are 0% and 11%, which is odd because I have a conditional order set to resupply at colony is their supply points get below 20%, and they don't seem to be listening to it. Anyone know what's up?
That conditional order has been bugged for a while. Workaround is to have enough supply points to last the deployment time or maintenance life. Supply points >= Max repair*AFR*Deployment time, for instance.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19707 on: April 29, 2020, 06:31:35 am »

Conditionals have an annoying tendency not to fire if you're using 30-day increments. Unless you've got a compelling reason not to, it is much better to turn on auto-advance and use 5 days.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19708 on: April 29, 2020, 07:27:10 am »

Is it normal for people to retire at the age of 31? I've just seen at least two officers do that, both were Lieutenant Commander* rank.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19709 on: April 29, 2020, 08:01:22 am »

Is it normal for people to retire at the age of 31? I've just seen at least two officers do that, both were Lieutenant Commander* rank.

It's normal only if you don't actually have assignments from them. Officers retire if they haven't been used for a hot minute. It helps keep down on a cluttering of officers, so you only have as many officers as you want, and not as many as you can possibly have. Pretty sure civilian admins and scientists don't retire, as a note. Only Ground and Naval officers.

EDIT:

Do two HQs let me have two commanders? If so, do those commanders both give benefits?

No, two HQs do not allow two commanders. However, having an extra HQ unit means there's a greater chance that, upon the destruction of one of those HQ units, the commander of that formation does not die. I keep two of a formation's HQ in the formation as a safeguard.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 08:03:52 am by coleslaw35 »
Pages: 1 ... 1312 1313 [1314] 1315 1316 ... 1347