Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1306 1307 [1308] 1309 1310 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814085 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19605 on: April 17, 2020, 01:47:06 am »

Did you exit Aurora and restart? Those are the settings I used.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19606 on: April 17, 2020, 02:08:32 am »

Did you exit Aurora and restart? Those are the settings I used.
That was my mistake, it works fine now.  Thanks again for the update, I can actually tell which year things will be done!

Protip: Headquarter capacity for designing Ground Forces are adjustable.  Just select the initial 1000 next to Headquarter Capacity in the Unit Class Design menu and type in whatever you want.

My newest ground force commander sure looks familiar:
Majoor Odo Burrows
Traits: Patient, Gloomy, Suspicious
He's also good at training ground troops, and has some minor skill in ground combat offensive.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19607 on: April 17, 2020, 06:26:07 am »

Is it possible to give orders to sub-fleets? I can give orders to top-level fleets(default ones being Cargo Fleet, Battle Fleet, etc), but I can't give orders to sub-fleets within those groups.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19608 on: April 17, 2020, 06:32:11 am »

Is it possible to give orders to sub-fleets? I can give orders to top-level fleets(default ones being Cargo Fleet, Battle Fleet, etc), but I can't give orders to sub-fleets within those groups.

From what I've been reading, sub-fleets are purely organizational and not separate fleets for order purposes.
Quote from Steve: "Sub-fleets have no on-map function and all ships within the sub-fleet hierarchy move within the parent fleet."

You'll have to make new fleets either via New Fleets or detaching fleets.  Sub-fleets are useful because they're the best way to detach multiple ships without mucking around with join/absorb orders.  Otherwise the ships detach singly and can't be reorganized because they're in different fleets, hence the join/absorb orders.  Its one rare area that doesn't seem like an improvement.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19609 on: April 17, 2020, 06:49:59 am »

Could somebody with posting ability on the Aurora 4x forum suggest that perhaps pops who overrun on wealth should get a research boost.  The whole point of capping wealth was because Conventional starts tended to build up massive cash reserves, and the explanation for the disappearing wealth is that the money is being spent on improving the lives of the populace, so it makes sense that money spend on education for the young and keeping the old alive longer would be reflected in a small but noticeable boost in research.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19610 on: April 17, 2020, 10:39:58 am »

Sucks that sub-fleets weren't useful for what I wanted to use them for, but I think I found the level of organization I was looking for through Naval Admin Commands.

I also just discovered a checkbox labeled "Keep Tactical in Background" on the Display tab of the main screen. At the very least, I don't have to keep going back and forth to the Events window every time increment.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19611 on: April 17, 2020, 07:12:50 pm »

Save-breaking patch coming tomorrow sometime.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19612 on: April 17, 2020, 07:18:53 pm »

Save-breaking patch coming tomorrow sometime.

Well, I guess my sleeper ship human refugees start are gonna go supernova soonish.  Eh, the system didn't have much minerals anyways.  :P

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19613 on: April 17, 2020, 07:57:32 pm »

Huh... Odd. I started a long-ish term campaign in v1.3 and I just now got around to grav surveying Sol (I like to take my time in Sol before exploring other systems.) That comes with a problem...

Apparently there are ZERO jump points in Sol. Uh. Odd, and also game-halting for me, unfortunately. I can't exactly report this is a bug because I'm over 2 versions behind, but has anyone else run into an issue like this?

I guess being completely unable to leave Sol is as good a reason to update as any.

EDIT: Fortunately, Spacemaster mode allows you to add jump points to a system, and that seems to have worked.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:21:11 pm by coleslaw35 »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19614 on: April 17, 2020, 09:27:22 pm »

Always, always, ALWAYS set Sol to have at least 1 JP, because it IS possible for "Random" to give you zero functional JPs.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19615 on: April 17, 2020, 10:38:57 pm »

Always, always, ALWAYS set Sol to have at least 1 JP, because it IS possible for "Random" to give you zero functional JPs.

I had set it to have 6, which was the weird part!

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19616 on: April 17, 2020, 11:00:47 pm »

I got the initial release version, so maybe its different now or I missed it. But I didn't see the typical options one could do in the classic Aurora. There was no non-Sol start or any of the "cheat" things, I think space-master is what it was called. But like I said, maybe I'm blind and missed it. All the menus are quite different. Been waiting for the updates to stabilize

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19617 on: April 17, 2020, 11:12:13 pm »

There IS a way to do non-sol start, but other sources have said you have to jump thru a few hoops.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19618 on: April 17, 2020, 11:17:35 pm »

I got the initial release version, so maybe its different now or I missed it. But I didn't see the typical options one could do in the classic Aurora. There was no non-Sol start or any of the "cheat" things, I think space-master is what it was called. But like I said, maybe I'm blind and missed it. All the menus are quite different. Been waiting for the updates to stabilize

Spacemaster is still a thing, you press the lightbulb-y thing 2nd from the right (and it lights up). I don't know how you actually do a lot of stuff with it, but if you light it up you can definitely do some of the cheaty stuff like instant researching / instant-adding shipyards, editing the pop-size etc. I don't know what it has vs the old version though, as i didn't use it much in the old version.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19619 on: April 17, 2020, 11:22:00 pm »

So I'm a little confused about civilian/construction/industrial buildings. Is more always better? Just a continual expansion of everything on the list?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 1306 1307 [1308] 1309 1310 ... 1347