Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811713 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18720 on: September 18, 2017, 07:23:18 pm »

yeah no news atm i  check back in every few months just in case

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #18721 on: September 19, 2017, 06:05:49 am »

Huh. So with the C# revamp there been lots of little changes. Nothing to major. Two moderate changes, is the addition of Titan ground forces, which are huge sky scrapper size ground forces. A la warhammer 40k.

The other more recent, is the removal of the PDCs, and replacing it with just additional unit types possibily.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18722 on: September 19, 2017, 06:08:41 am »

This game looks terrifying. Not sure if I wanna poke it.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18723 on: September 19, 2017, 11:20:49 am »

I'd wait for the C# release if you're unsure - on top of not dying after a few hundred 'turns' it'll also come with a lot of interface improvements and adjustments that should make it a little bit less scary.

That being said, it truly is the closest thing to actually managing a space empire ever created.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18724 on: September 19, 2017, 11:40:42 am »

Come on, don't be afraid of a little complexity hidden under an even more complex ui. 

There are a number of decent tutorials for getting started, and people are usually quick to answer questions.  That said, there is a learning curve. 

I say go for it, jump in with both feet, ask lots and lots of questions, when you get to the point where you're designing stuff, post your designs for us to laugh at help optimize, and you'll be having a blast in no time!

Of course, if your vertical resolution is less than 768 don't even bother.  I believe it's just barely playable at 768 height, with the reduced height windows option, and a little bit of window finagling. Or if you have a smaller height, but just want to play anyway, damn it, check out flying dice's sig throughout this thread, they've got a link to desktop resizing tools which reportedly work to make the game playable.

Also, I strongly recommend you get the Aurora wrapper program (I believe it's linked at aurora's main forum).  This keeps you from having to run a hilariously outdated installer which confusingly prompts you to overwrite system files with much older versions of them.

If all this hasn't scared you off, then you just might have what it takes to play this monster of a game.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #18725 on: September 19, 2017, 12:41:10 pm »

I'd wait for the C# release

I feel i'm waiting for that since forever...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:51:29 pm by ( Tchey ) »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18726 on: September 19, 2017, 12:48:42 pm »

I'd wait for the C# release if you're unsure - on top of not dying after a few hundred 'turns' it'll also come with a lot of interface improvements and adjustments that should make it a little bit less scary.

That being said, it truly is the closest thing to actually managing a space empire ever created.

That is what I've been looking for for years though...

Come on, don't be afraid of a little complexity hidden under an even more complex ui. 

There are a number of decent tutorials for getting started, and people are usually quick to answer questions.  That said, there is a learning curve. 

I say go for it, jump in with both feet, ask lots and lots of questions, when you get to the point where you're designing stuff, post your designs for us to laugh at help optimize, and you'll be having a blast in no time!

Of course, if your vertical resolution is less than 768 don't even bother.  I believe it's just barely playable at 768 height, with the reduced height windows option, and a little bit of window finagling. Or if you have a smaller height, but just want to play anyway, damn it, check out flying dice's sig throughout this thread, they've got a link to desktop resizing tools which reportedly work to make the game playable.

Also, I strongly recommend you get the Aurora wrapper program (I believe it's linked at aurora's main forum).  This keeps you from having to run a hilariously outdated installer which confusingly prompts you to overwrite system files with much older versions of them.

If all this hasn't scared you off, then you just might have what it takes to play this monster of a game.

Exactly 768, phew... Though I probably will be getting a better post-2011 comp soon. I guess it's just the first look through youtube and bing images is what terrified me. I'd never go by tutorial though, at most ask for advice here. I prefer face smashing on the keyboard till things work.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18727 on: September 19, 2017, 05:11:24 pm »

I'd wait for the C# release

I feel i'm waiting for that since forever...

Serious progress has been made with this - it'll still probably be another 6 months or so but for me I just couldn't deal with the issue of the game basically grinding to a halt if I did well enough. You're basically punished for expanding too much.

That said, it's still fantastic and there are tons of tutorials and whatever, I'd just suggest that you think if you can wait it out a few months for a seriously improved version.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18728 on: September 19, 2017, 05:24:37 pm »

What helped me getting into the game were Steve's stories. At least the older ones give you a good impression of what to do in the beginning and a few pointers for ship design that are still valid, despite the changes since then.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18729 on: September 20, 2017, 05:00:19 am »

Noticed that it was free and thought why the hell not. Download's not even that big, hopefully this is fun. How's the communities mod support etc?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #18730 on: September 20, 2017, 05:44:53 am »

Fun, fun. But:
1. Resolution troubles. Damn thing will not even stretch if you get less then needed resolution.
1.5. Changing resolution places shortcuts in diffirent places. For ALL users. Not that much trouble if you using computer alone, but if not, you must rearrange all shotcuts back while looking on screenshot each time you want to play.  ::)
2. It's damn not obvious how to make your damn first ships even when you finally made proper design and reequipped shipyard for it.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18731 on: September 20, 2017, 10:31:15 am »

Fun, fun. But:
1. Resolution troubles. Damn thing will not even stretch if you get less then needed resolution.
1.5. Changing resolution places shortcuts in diffirent places. For ALL users. Not that much trouble if you using computer alone, but if not, you must rearrange all shotcuts back while looking on screenshot each time you want to play.  ::)
2. It's damn not obvious how to make your damn first ships even when you finally made proper design and reequipped shipyard for it.

Regarding 1.5: I haven't had any issues with the aurora program changing my resolution, and wouldn't any resolution changes required to play involve upsizing, rather than downsizing?
2. So true.  I highly, highly recommend checking the "Automatically assign RP and starting designs" checkbox in the new game setup, that way you will start with a number of actually working ships, and have some components designed already, which gives a handy reference for when you try to design your own stuff.  Then once you understand it well enough, you can start a new game and spend your RP however you like.

A note regarding starting RP and MSP(Is that what the free build points are called?):  You start by default with a certain number of RP, if you don't check the box I mentioned above.  You also start with a certain number of build points (I think they're called msp).

To actually use these starting resources, you need to turn on SM mode, which stands for SpaceMaster.  Then you can assign them.  This is not cheating, this is how those points are meant to be spent.

However, SM mode can also be used for filthy dirty cheating, or for fixing dumb mistakes, or what not.  Do not be afraid to use SpaceMaster, and don't forget to spend your free RP and build points.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18732 on: September 20, 2017, 10:47:48 am »

How's the communities mod support etc?
I guess you can just download any image you want to use as a race, ship or planet you want.  Other than that there isn't much to "mod" in the game that you can't edit in game your self.

Otherwise the community is good at helping new players out.  Though this thread is usually more active than the forums, usually.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #18733 on: September 20, 2017, 11:06:11 am »

Fun, fun. But:

Regarding 1.5: I haven't had any issues with the aurora program changing my resolution, and wouldn't any resolution changes required to play involve upsizing, rather than downsizing?
Oh, nevermind,  changing resolution upwards doesn't mess with shortcuts. Thanks for SM tip, i thought it juat "dev mode"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18734 on: September 20, 2017, 11:08:39 am »

How's the communities mod support etc?
I guess you can just download any image you want to use as a race, ship or planet you want.  Other than that there isn't much to "mod" in the game that you can't edit in game your self.

Otherwise the community is good at helping new players out.  Though this thread is usually more active than the forums, usually.

Ooooh so the only 'mods' are skins. That's fine, was just hoping some mad genius in his garage spent 30 months madly making a mod or something that'd be cool. Download keeps failing on me at around 90%... Could just be my modem periodically gapping out. I'll just give it a try in two days.

Also, one site described it as real time, another as turn based... Which is it?
Pages: 1 ... 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 ... 1347