Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1234 1235 [1236] 1237 1238 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811050 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18525 on: June 16, 2017, 05:18:26 pm »

How well does the portable version work? No excessive slowness or anything?

I thought I had Aurora installed on this computer but the .exe somehow vanished.

Iirc it is just regular Aurora with the patches already added and a pretty background. It's not some version that is somehow specifically made for/to run off USB sticks.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18526 on: June 16, 2017, 10:04:53 pm »

The Portable version works great.

Of course, it's the only one I've ever used, but I've so far had no problems.

Other than aliens capable of annihilating my unarmed scouting vessels in a volley. Heh. Luckily, they seem pleased to just camp the JPs out of Sol (I have no military. That might just teach me to go exploring before having some attack vessels....Now I'm rushing a military program to get some basic combat vessels out there. Preferably vessels capable of surviving the nuclear missiles they seem to be firing.)

Any general advice for early-game progression? What to do, how to go about it?
Like I said, I'm running a game right now, but it's not going great.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18527 on: June 16, 2017, 10:49:17 pm »

How well does the portable version work? No excessive slowness or anything?

I thought I had Aurora installed on this computer but the .exe somehow vanished.

Iirc it is just regular Aurora with the patches already added and a pretty background. It's not some version that is somehow specifically made for/to run off USB sticks.
Well, it is specifically made for/to run off USB sticks, but it's just because it runs in a custom-designed wrapper (that adds a pretty background).  The wrapper also handles the stuff that would require installation or would otherwise cause issues on particular machine localizations, such as potentially-missing DLLs and numeric character separator concerns.  That's why an installation of the portable version doesn't actually require an installation; simply unzip and go.

At least, that's how it was last time I checked in with the portable launcher utility.  My home machine uses the default Aurora installer from the last full install with incremental patches applied as I went, so I only pulled the portable version when I expect to be bouncing between machines on a regular basis.  I can't imagine that's changed, though.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:52:37 pm by Culise »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18528 on: June 17, 2017, 03:15:52 am »

The Portable version works great.

Of course, it's the only one I've ever used, but I've so far had no problems.

Other than aliens capable of annihilating my unarmed scouting vessels in a volley. Heh. Luckily, they seem pleased to just camp the JPs out of Sol (I have no military. That might just teach me to go exploring before having some attack vessels....Now I'm rushing a military program to get some basic combat vessels out there. Preferably vessels capable of surviving the nuclear missiles they seem to be firing.)

Any general advice for early-game progression? What to do, how to go about it?
Like I said, I'm running a game right now, but it's not going great.

Don't worry too much about military early on. At low TLs anything that runs across you will steamroll any force you can field, so it's mostly just a roll of the dice. Just don't build JGs leading back to Sol until you've secured the systems down-chain from it. If you must, go for quantity with cheap FACs, you can get them out pretty easily even with low shipbuilding tech and your starting military yard(s)--mesons are good at this point because your ships will be slow, vulnerable, and poorly armed, so you don't want to waste whatever shots you do get on armor, and they can later be recycled to eat missile fire or keep unimportant colonies happy.

As for the other, gib details. What are you having trouble doing or understanding, what do you already having running on some level, &c.? You'll want to be building up industry on Earth, surveying Sol and whatever neighboring systems you can access, getting some basic freighters up to start dropping automines and mass drivers on whatever good mineral deposits are elsewhere in Sol a decent time in advance of stockpiles on Earth dwindling, starting to terraform Mars, Luna, Titan, &c. for colonization (and dropping seed colonies to prompt civilian growth), teching up (go for drive and reactor techs (they alternate) above all else for ship-based stuff, but try not to let sensors, your chosen weapon types, &c. lag more than a TL or two behind, and don't neglect the production upgrades), upscaling your shipyards as population allows.

That's just off the top of my head. There's a lot of shit that needs doing, which is why knowing what you're already doing or having trouble with helps.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18529 on: June 17, 2017, 07:37:55 am »

It's not an issue of trouble so much as a request for somebody else's playstyle.

A better version of the question (One that doesn't get asked at 11 at night) is probably "How do you guys start a game? What happens in the first ~15-45 minutes for you?" I think my issue was going exploring too early (And then trying to rescue life pods without realizing that enemies like to camp JPs). I kept sending a ship through JPs, time after time, exploring bit by bit, examining every jump point, and it turned out that, in a system I had previously thought inactive, there were hostiles. Between trips through that system, they migrated a system over (I had, apparently, 3 JPs out of Sol, and 2-3 jump chains there, one of which connected to Barnard's Star, which also connected to Sol) from Barnard's star, where I had two contacts with aliens, to some system with L-something for a name. They were camped on the JP after I initially explored it.

I literally can't build jump gates yet. I don't have the ships for it. Also, I'm going to start a new game and try not to botch it so badly this time. Especially with the tech stuff.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18530 on: June 17, 2017, 08:07:05 am »

It's not an issue of trouble so much as a request for somebody else's playstyle.

A better version of the question (One that doesn't get asked at 11 at night) is probably "How do you guys start a game? What happens in the first ~15-45 minutes for you?" I think my issue was going exploring too early (And then trying to rescue life pods without realizing that enemies like to camp JPs). I kept sending a ship through JPs, time after time, exploring bit by bit, examining every jump point, and it turned out that, in a system I had previously thought inactive, there were hostiles. Between trips through that system, they migrated a system over (I had, apparently, 3 JPs out of Sol, and 2-3 jump chains there, one of which connected to Barnard's Star, which also connected to Sol) from Barnard's star, where I had two contacts with aliens, to some system with L-something for a name. They were camped on the JP after I initially explored it.

I literally can't build jump gates yet. I don't have the ships for it. Also, I'm going to start a new game and try not to botch it so badly this time. Especially with the tech stuff.
Start with no NPRs, low percentage of discovering one and 0 % of NPRs discovering other NPRs. Then I am used to use the Conventional start because there the initial options are very limited so it is easier to grasp the current situtation. You basically set commanders to auto, set one scientist to work on Transnewtionian tech and slowly start converting basic Industry to specialized one. Somewhere during that build academy to raise chances of obtaining decent scientist and assign an administrator to Earth. Make diplomacy and xeneology team so they can start training.

Remember scientists can raise their stats even when not researching but if they are working it gets much faster so try to keep two from each research branch working all the time, even with just 1 lab. Two to have one spare scientist for the chance the best one perishes. At the start, concentrate on Propulsion, Production and Logistics branches.

During the process, get few geosurvey ships with speed of ~40 km/s and send them to Luna, Mars and after that other nearby places. Whenever you find materials, send a team there to check if they can find more. If Luna or Mars has minerals, start moving infrastructure and mines there, if neither of them does pick Luna as it is closer. Remember to deliver small amount of civilians to one new colony so that civilian shipping lines can start transporting cargo and civilians for you. Start churning automines and delivering them to decent but not-CMC-eligible places.

Once you get first TN engines you either push hard for the 2nd one or rebuild all ships - the change from nonTN to TN is immense. Get gravsurvey tech and then gravsurvey ships but don't travel through any JP until you have at least few military ships. Don't overexplore, try checking each system with some cheap craft before sending in all those geo- and gravsurveys. I am used to send the JP survey fighter to each planet in the inner part of system or do a big triangle sweep throughout the system if there are no planets.

Remember JGs can't be removed and everyone can use them so think twice before you build them, especially the one facing to Sol. Note though there need to be both-way JG before shipping lines will go to the other system. Also, there may be random JG placed on various JPs from start - it doesn't have to mean someone is currently actively building them. If you meet NPR and they don't seem to be too aggresive, try assigning them your diplomacy team and see if you can maybe be friends, for once.

FYI, in my last (2nd) campaing, Paths of Trisabria, starting 2000, it took me ~40 mins to TN (2001-10), then 2 hours to geosurvey (2005-11) and further 3 hours to gravsurvey ships (2015-09). Brutto but without any big brakes, IIRC. And I can lost hours tweaking ship designs.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:15:23 am by Detros »
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18531 on: June 17, 2017, 08:34:58 am »

What point is considered trans-Newtonian? What's the earliest "trans-Newtonian" engine technology/power tech/whatever it refers to. Is it just anything past "conventional thrusters"?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18532 on: June 17, 2017, 08:37:00 am »

What point is considered trans-Newtonian? What's the earliest "trans-Newtonian" engine technology/power tech/whatever it refers to. Is it just anything past "conventional thrusters"?
Anything after conventional thrusters, yes. You start with what are basically rocket engines and the very first engine tech is the first TN thruster, which is ridiculously better by any pre-TN standard.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18533 on: June 17, 2017, 08:49:37 am »

It's probably best to not even build anything with conventional tech, unless you're really really eager to get started. Even basic TN tech will outstrip conventional by such a huge margin that it's not even funny, and it will only drain some of your limited stockpiles.

For instance, a single size 1 Conventional Engine will provide .2 Engine Power. A single size 1 Nuclear Thermal engine (the first TN engine available) provides 5 Engine Power, while costing the same amount of materials.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:01:17 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18534 on: June 17, 2017, 09:52:22 am »

I don't ever start conventional. After all, I did a tutorial-based world, and now 2 of my own. That's it. I've never even built a single armed vessel yet. I designed 3, I think.

What's a good armor class for an early-game FAC-style system protection vessel? I want to start putting out a few relatively small early-game gunboats for defense. Might actually make and lay some mines as well. Just gotta work on missile tech for a bit.

Anyway, what sort of vessels do you start out with, and how early do you start exploring? When do you build your first military ship, and why?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18535 on: June 17, 2017, 10:00:55 am »

Anything after conventional thrusters, yes. You start with what are basically rocket engines and the very first engine tech is the first TN thruster, which is ridiculously better by any pre-TN standard.
While the size of change caused by upgrading engines (and generally other things too, say, mining production) is usually somewhere in +20% to +35% region, Nuclear Thermal engine are _25 times_ stronger than conventional ones (= +2400%).
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18536 on: June 17, 2017, 10:08:32 am »

Meh.

Just a small improvement.

Can't see the value, meself.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18537 on: June 17, 2017, 11:39:39 am »

I told my survey task groups to return to Earth for refueling and overhaul (since I had badly underestimated how long to set their deployment times).

Well, they're fueled up and the crew is ready to return to space. Unfortunately, the task groups are still overhauling. They seem to be stuck. I can't give them any orders whatsoever as the Add Order button is greyed out. What do?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18538 on: June 17, 2017, 11:49:44 am »

Maybe wait?

Or swap them out of the TGs.

I'm going to have that issue myself. I forgot to set the "Intended Deployment Time" and so my newest class of gravsurvey ships is going to be relatively micromanage-y.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18539 on: June 17, 2017, 11:52:53 am »

I don't think swapping them out will help; the ships themselves seem to be stuck in overhaul (at least according to the F6 menu).

I can't find anything that will cancel the overhaul though, nor can I find any sort of progress indicator.

Pages: 1 ... 1234 1235 [1236] 1237 1238 ... 1347