Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1231 1232 [1233] 1234 1235 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810874 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18480 on: June 10, 2017, 01:13:22 pm »

Be careful with missiles cruiser: it's going to be a pain to produce ammo.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18481 on: June 10, 2017, 01:28:21 pm »

I think you'll need working colonies to run Research Labs, too. Unless they can function on any random asteroid you drop them on.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18482 on: June 10, 2017, 01:31:08 pm »

I think you'll need working colonies to run Research Labs, too. Unless they can function on any random asteroid you drop them on.

You need workers for them, and 1 million per lab.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18483 on: June 10, 2017, 01:37:13 pm »

So yeah. Colonies will be needed, at least temporarily, if you ever want to improve your tech.
Of course you'll need pretty good tech to even run a workable nomadic fleet, but still.

What about academies to get new leaders? Will they need workers as well?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18484 on: June 10, 2017, 01:40:52 pm »

maybe you stick to one planet at a time, suck all the resources dry, then move all the buildings to the next planet, rinse and repeat?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18485 on: June 10, 2017, 01:56:43 pm »

Alright, so I'm thinking that I designate a single world in the middle of nowhere for science purposes. I keep a population there with some ground troops and PDC's, as well as science labs up the wazoo. Also, missile and fighter production centers will be put on freighters as well, to be plopped down as necessary. I'm not sure how to hand officers just yet, but I'll figure it out.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #18486 on: June 10, 2017, 10:34:06 pm »

Shipyards also require workers. Or at least they take a lot of workers - I assume they need them to function. I haven't ever tried to tow a shipyard to a world without people and then build ships.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18487 on: June 10, 2017, 11:07:31 pm »

Which is why I have the colony ships; I distribute population as necessary, also causing small spurts of growth whilst they are planet side.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18488 on: June 12, 2017, 08:55:30 am »

I'm certainly thinking of playing this, but I'd like to know some things before I commit. I don't have much time nowadays to really sit down and learn complex games.

1. Is dissidence implemented? If my reign is unpopular, will people rise up against me?
2. Can I force the relocation of people to other planets/stations and force them into nonthreatening jobs, like manual labor?
3. How expansive is the espionage/covert action system? Is it possible to infiltrate empires and cause significant woe to them, or is it more limited?

If you can't tell, I'm looking to be a spess totalitarian.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18489 on: June 12, 2017, 09:29:10 am »

I'm certainly thinking of playing this, but I'd like to know some things before I commit. I don't have much time nowadays to really sit down and learn complex games.

1. Is dissidence implemented? If my reign is unpopular, will people rise up against me?
2. Can I force the relocation of people to other planets/stations and force them into nonthreatening jobs, like manual labor?
3. How expansive is the espionage/covert action system? Is it possible to infiltrate empires and cause significant woe to them, or is it more limited?

If you can't tell, I'm looking to be a spess totalitarian.

Can only answer your second question because I'm a beginner myself, but you can basically leave your people naked on a planet with an atmosphere composed of toxic gases if you wanted to. That saying I'm pretty sure there are no rebellions. I don't know anything about espionage yet.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18490 on: June 12, 2017, 09:31:14 am »

Been a year or two since I have last played, but if nothing has changed:
1. Only in a very barebones way. Unhappy people give rise to a stat, I think it was called "popular unrest" or something like that and your planetary production is reduced by that much. So 20% unrest on a planet would lower your production to 80%. There are no rebellions or riots.
2. You can simply pick up people with ships that have a colony module and dump them where ever you want. Distribution of the populace is automatic. (generally the less habitable a planet is for your race, the more people are needed in maintenance and agriculture)
3. None, really. You can pick up other factions lifeboats and "extract" information from the survivors and you can dump intelligence teams on enemy planets, but all that gives you (as far as I remember) is information on enemy ship specs, no idea if you could steal tech that way. I don't even think you can sabotage stuff.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18491 on: June 12, 2017, 10:55:16 am »

Mostly more straightforward than that, stuff like seizing orbital control and pumping chlorine into their atmosphere with terraforming ships.

Intel gain is primarily focused on ships, and tends to be acquired by observing, destroying, and salvaging them.

Most of the crunch is in the logistics, ship design, and combat. Politics, diplomacy, &c. is generally just enough to support those and not much more.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18492 on: June 12, 2017, 05:53:59 pm »

At stealing techs: when you salvage wrecks of enemy ships or scrap captured enemy ships, you gain also some ship components. These can be either scrapped for materials or dismantled for tech points. So if you get a pile of,say, sensors this way and that enemy NPR is further in that research branch, by dismantling them you gain direct research points to next level of given tech. Some advanced systems (more damaging lasers...) can't be researched, you need to unlock them via dismantling.

Btw, boarding a ship is in Aurora done via fast small fighters firing marine companies at enemy ships from close range. These marines will then find the most damaged part of the hull and start detonating charges to get inside.

Techs can be also found in some ancient ruines. You should be also able (according to wiki but I haven’t tried it myself yet] to get some enemy techs when you occupy one of their colonies.

From other features: there is a technology branch for your missiles to do less explosion damage and more radiation - you can fire at colonies and get rid of enemy population without causing too much collateral to the infrastructure. Minerals can be transferred via accelerating them via mass drivers - you can guess how messy will things go when the receiving mass driver is moved elsewhere while flock of multi-tonne artificial asteroids is approaching given colony at few thousands km/s.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18493 on: June 13, 2017, 09:29:57 am »

Is it possible, using a ship with highly powerful missiles with just enough fuel to detonate while the ship is in range, to create kamikaze ships?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18494 on: June 13, 2017, 09:45:39 am »

Is it possible, using a ship with highly powerful missiles with just enough fuel to detonate while the ship is in range, to create kamikaze ships?
You can create fighters so fast they can ride with the missiles missiles. This way you either can send close range fighters and attack the enemy while he is busy with missiles or send missiles fighters, launching more missiles as you go, to create a massive first strike. Note when target of missile without active sensor is destroyed, the missile self-destroys ... while missiles with their own small sensors are able to retarget.

There are no area damage weapons in space combat. So no laser warheads a la Honorverse. Other difference from that series is ships in Aurora use speed and can stop on a dime while Honorverse ships use acceleration as the main "speed value" and thus need some time to change the vector.

NPC ships (usually when out of ammo) sometimes try for a ramming attack. Player ships are not allowed to do it.

Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)
Pages: 1 ... 1231 1232 [1233] 1234 1235 ... 1347