Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1224 1225 [1226] 1227 1228 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810658 times)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18375 on: January 18, 2017, 12:49:04 pm »

Heyo :) Haven't played in a long time, maybe 2-3 years? Anything new with Aurora in that time?

Version 7.0 came out a little over a year ago, which was mostly campaign level changes to map generation, fixes to speed up turns, and NPRs using carriers. Since then Steve's been working on porting the game to C#, though as has been previously noted he really does it as a hobby and progress mostly happens when he's interested enough to spend all of his free time writing code. It has come far enough that he's posting screenshots, though, so I have a good feeling it will be out this year at least  :P

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18376 on: January 18, 2017, 08:34:56 pm »

Oh! 7.0 you say? I must check it out. Is the link still in the OP?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #18377 on: January 22, 2017, 12:40:08 am »

v7.1, actually.
Someone's made a portable launcher utility for it, too, allowing it to be played on USB and just in general without massive setup involving installing obscure software. Probably. It's pre-patched, at least.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=5663.0
Worth noting that the launcher itself has spat up some false positives with various antivirus platforms, but it works well enough for me. I'm running on Windows 10.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18378 on: January 22, 2017, 11:18:40 am »

Can comfirm, it is the one I am using. It is awfully practical. I believe it also comes packaged with some extra pictures for planets and races.

Speaking of, I am unsure if there will be pictures featured like that in C# Aurora. It would be a shame, but quite the little one.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18379 on: January 22, 2017, 12:51:08 pm »

Can comfirm, it is the one I am using. It is awfully practical. I believe it also comes packaged with some extra pictures for planets and races.

Speaking of, I am unsure if there will be pictures featured like that in C# Aurora. It would be a shame, but quite the little one.

Should be very, very moddable (or easy for Steve to implement) though comparatively to this one. I'm sure it'll be something people ask for eventually.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #18380 on: January 25, 2017, 06:06:15 pm »

Several months ago, I started a small multiplayer game of Aurora (aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php) with some of my friends. Sadly, life happened to them (a few of them were too busy with school and such to really play effectively). As a result, there are now just three people remaining. In order to spice up the game again, I'm looking for some new blood for the game, as I would definitely not like to just end the game because I've spent a non-insignificant amount of time coming up with backstories and such for the various surprises I have planted around the galaxy.

The schedule is generally a turn every two weeks. You don't have to have played Aurora before, but you better be ready for a learning curve if you haven't. We generally communicate by email.

If anybody would be interested in joining, please PM me your email (and include something mentioning Aurora so I know that's why).

The following is a short history of the game:
In the year 2025, the various empires of Sol were at peace. Each nation began with a small to mediumish fleet (depending on how the players made their starting decisions), and there was peace for several years. However, the Democratic Union of America soon launched an unprovoked attack on the Mahja Empire, causing a short battle in which they destroyed the alien PDC which rested on Earth and retreated, losing only one ship. The battle was stopped by the sudden appearance of an alien vessel in Sol--the first that had ever been seen. They immediately demanded, in English, that the fighting cease and that the empires of Sol submit to their rule, or face destruction. They gave the empires several years to think about it. The empires were obviously taken aback, and the petty fighting ceased--for now. There was peace for several years, during which the aliens seemed content to let the empires think. However, as the time period expired, the Democratic Union of America was immediately attacked. After the battle, the alien ships were driven from the battlefield, with the help of El Imperio del Antier. Just two years later, the invading aliens reappeared in force, bringing in many new ships, as well as another new alien race which helped the aliens invade. The battle lasted for many days, and in the end, the invading aliens had lost only a few of their vessels, while the empires of Sol had lost a great number of ships, perhaps half of the total ships in the system.

Peace was the order of the day for a three years, during which the empires exchanged some messages of goodwill, but ultimately failed to form any lasting alliance. Exploration and such happened too. Then, another alien race entered the system. This time, they did not speak English, and we have been attempted to establish communication with them ever since (this was the year 2038). (Special Note: These aliens are not an NPR, they are of my own creation and the players have to actually decipher their messages). However, the aliens were not hostile, and seemed content to sit on the jump point they had emerged from. But then, forces from Ignavis Deliquio launched a vicious attack on the Democratic Union of America, which, though initially successful, resulted in the complete destruction of the Ignavis Deliquio Navy. This was followed up by an all out assault from El Imperio del Antier, beginning with a ground invasion, and, when that was repelled by a nuclear defense from PDCs, a nuclear bombardment of the surface, leaving Mercury a frozen wasteland and killing hundreds of millions. The planet was conquered by El Imperio del Antier (hence the statement that "Ignavis Deliquio was on Mercury"). There is currently a resistance movement on Mercury, but they have yet to gain any real strength. Communication has continued with the aliens for the past couple of years, bringing us to the current day, when there was a revolt (read: a player resigned) in the Mahja Empire, and a ship from Ymerodraeth y Hynafiad (the invading aliens from several years earlier) entered the system.

In the intervening several years, many of the empires began to begin expansion attempts, and the situation on Mercury has mostly been contained. But now, a large fleet from Ymerodaeth y Hynafiad has entered the system and threatens to destroy our way of life as we know it (although you'll join after this is over, so...).

You have the following options of empires to take over:
Democratic Union of America:
A very martially focused nation, whose motto is "God, Guns, and Glory." They currently occupy Mars, a planet that has suffered a number of nuclear bombardments, but is mostly fine. They also have a mining colony on one of the asteroids of Sol.

Ignavis Deliquio:
Conquered, but not defeated. El Imperio del Antier has killed over half of their people and turned Mercury into a frozen wasteland, but now a rebel leader who calls himself Vindex is attempting to mount a resistance. Thus far he has been unsuccessful. Note: If you choose this empire, you will have NO colonies, NO ships, and NO ground troops (yet, I've got plans for them. If you're interested, PM me).

Mahkra Empire:
A mostly reclusive and isolationist empire which prides itself on its massive, multipurpose ships. They generally keep to themselves, but have at least made token attempts to aid in times of great crisis.

Taulandia:
An empire of strange, music and math loving creatures. Mostly pacifists, but have fought in the past when it is required. Their government has tended to be extremely cautious, preferring for their civilian sector to do most, if not all, of the exploration of the galaxy.

Obviously I will send significantly more information once you have made your selection.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18381 on: January 25, 2017, 07:05:59 pm »

How exactly do you play Aurora in a multiplayer fashion?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18382 on: January 25, 2017, 07:12:45 pm »

One person acts as GM and runs the game, relaying information to the players of each faction.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #18383 on: January 25, 2017, 07:18:12 pm »

How exactly do you play Aurora in a multiplayer fashion?

One person acts as GM and runs the game, relaying information to the players of each faction.

Yes, exactly. Every turn (which tends to be about a year), I ask players for their orders (research, ship movements, installation construction, ship designs, whatever). Then I run the turn with their specifications. If something unexpected comes up, like meeting a new alien race or them being attacked, then the turn pauses until I can reach the player and determine what they want to do.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18384 on: January 26, 2017, 12:55:38 pm »

Should be very, very moddable (or easy for Steve to implement) though comparatively to this one. I'm sure it'll be something people ask for eventually.

I do hope so. Aurora does not provide more visual feedback than it strictly needs, but it is quite pleasant that there is some visuality here and there, to help set a theme and to give your imagination something to build on.

I made a semi-custom (that is, I generated Sol and rebranded everything) race, and made it a flag and hull. It is rather little things, but it does count for a lot of atmosphere in a game like this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am quite happy with it. Byzantine space goats, which is an idea I find oddly appealing. I like how the space Chi-Rho turned out, and will hopefully plant it on a lot of planets. Now, that is sort of what I mean. Little things like that, making and adding your own flags and portraits and map markers, it does a lot to make Aurora come alive.

Now, the multiplayer game does sound interesting, but I am nowhere near good enough to contribute, I fear. Good luck, though, it sounds like a rather fun method.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18385 on: January 26, 2017, 12:57:50 pm »

Might be fun to roleplay a democracy style government with a GM running a game. Have the various administrators and officers be played by bay12 members with orders passed and laws made, etc

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18386 on: January 26, 2017, 12:59:24 pm »

except for the GM  :P

maybe in c#  and with the help of someone creating visuals...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18387 on: January 26, 2017, 01:14:19 pm »

Eh, I wouldn't mind running something like that

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18388 on: January 26, 2017, 02:01:50 pm »

Would probably be very frustrating and time-consuming, but by an order of magnitude less than running a PvP game. That's like a play-by-snail mail game of Stars with an order of magnitude more complexity, and you get to be the person acting as a routing hub that has to transcribe everything manually multiple times.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18389 on: January 26, 2017, 03:05:12 pm »

many things would end unused, having players being the political class. stellaris seems a better framework for that. aurora forum game would probably be more !fun! with players running corporations, handling research, module production and eventually shpyards..
Pages: 1 ... 1224 1225 [1226] 1227 1228 ... 1347