Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1222 1223 [1224] 1225 1226 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810483 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18345 on: January 12, 2017, 11:53:34 pm »

It may. He isnt done. There could be some road block, that for whatever reason too difficult to implement and resolve in c#. Mind you, I cant possibly figure out what that could be.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18346 on: January 13, 2017, 12:29:20 am »

Considering he essentially wrote the whole game in excel embedded functions, I think the C# version can only be delayed while he just bashes through any problems.  It may take a while, but the only thing to stop it would be his death.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18347 on: January 13, 2017, 01:37:03 am »

Considering he essentially wrote the whole game in excel embedded functions, I think the C# version can only be delayed while he just bashes through any problems.  It may take a while, but the only thing to stop it would be his death.
*knocks on wood*

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #18348 on: January 13, 2017, 01:36:15 pm »

To be fair, the game basically is Excel. In SPACE!

But seriously, at the rate he's posting updates, it sounds like things are going relatively smoothly. I'm actually surprised how fast it's going. Usually these total rewrite things tend to lag behind. But from the screenshots, it looks like he already has something (mostly?) playable.

Then again, I may be unfairly comparing it to the fan-made Pulsar remake, which has been slowly (yet steadily) going for a long time.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18349 on: January 13, 2017, 03:03:21 pm »

Last I checked Pulsar wasn't even playable, honestly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18350 on: January 13, 2017, 11:40:12 pm »

I probably wouldn't recommend waiting for the C# release.  Updates to default Aurora are sometimes years apart (usually because Steve has to go out and earn some money to survive).

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #18351 on: January 14, 2017, 12:43:43 am »

How is Pulsar coming along?

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #18352 on: January 14, 2017, 11:15:06 am »

Not dead, apparently. The latest dev update is from December 2016, be it small. Considering that it's been alive for two years now, if slow moving, it's in the upper reaches of open sources clones in my book.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18353 on: January 16, 2017, 08:03:42 am »

Pulsar is way behind the C# rewrite though, and I cannot imagine it being released before Aurora C#.

I can't imagine that there will be any big hurdles left - he seems to have done all the difficult stuff, and whilst it's probably 6 months to a year before any workable version, I definitely don't think it's vaporware in any shape or form. He's also been working on Aurora for long enough that we know he's got the staying power.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18354 on: January 16, 2017, 03:10:16 pm »

Pulsar is way behind the C# rewrite though, and I cannot imagine it being released before Aurora C#.

I can't imagine that there will be any big hurdles left - he seems to have done all the difficult stuff, and whilst it's probably 6 months to a year before any workable version, I definitely don't think it's vaporware in any shape or form. He's also been working on Aurora for long enough that we know he's got the staying power.
It's definitely not vaporware, but has he done much regarding the AI yet?  That might be a hurdle if he runs into issues refactoring that code.  I'd say at least a year for a 2018 release, myself, but I'm a pessimist in that way.  ^_^

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18355 on: January 16, 2017, 06:59:15 pm »

his fully reworking things but it could take years to get any signs of progress

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #18356 on: January 16, 2017, 07:20:33 pm »

Well it seems that Steve's progress is leaps and bounds faster then Pulsar progress. Based on the screens shot and Steve's own reports, it seems to be in a much more playable condition. Steve has the advantage on the AI portion of the code, as well hes done an AI once for this game and knows how it basically works. Whereas Pulsar dev will have to do it all from scratch, on their first attempt.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18357 on: January 16, 2017, 07:57:33 pm »

I really like the maximum population stuff.

It's always saddened me that Aurora generates all these details about the planets, but the only things that matter are temperature and minerals. Now there's a bit more at play, and tidally locked worlds even get a bit of love too.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18358 on: January 16, 2017, 09:34:51 pm »

I missed the maximum population bit.  What's that?

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18359 on: January 16, 2017, 09:55:27 pm »

Population caps on a per-planet basis. Large planets have more population, small planets less. Water worlds have less, and tidally locked worlds even more so (although the latter get lower colony costs in return.)

I'm not sure if there's any benefit to having water below the 75% threshold, and the caps seem high enough that they probably won't matter in most situations... but I still really like it.

Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 ... 1222 1223 [1224] 1225 1226 ... 1347